Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

Always see or just remember the ones who do well and forget the failures who never see the field.

Just responding to Cheeno's post about CB who don't do well early. So I posted an alternative..

But I appreciate your response.

Houston did better than people give him credit for. Weeks 1-4 no complaints and had a big pick against the Redskins. Played with a bad hamstring and got burnt by James Jones Week 5. Injury reports and Houston not playing in the 4th against the Bears is all you need to prove he was injured.

Beat by AJ Green Week 7 on a double move and gave up another TD to Mavin Jones. Got benched, came back and played great against Dallas.

Chicago game no complaints in a win. Pittsburgh game missed a tackle on Brown (so did Quin) in off coverage. Delmas got beat for the other TD.

Beat by Underwood again while hurt. He never returned and didn't play the next game.

Played well against Eagles. Had another nice int and return on the overthrow by Foles in the snow.

Houston is the only CB that had an int in 2013 for Detroit. Think about that. And he missed 4 games. 60% completion ,5 TDs (2 while hurt) and 2 ints. He will start for Detroit in 2014 and can do well.

Not many rookie CBs (even Round 1) play well right away. Took Peterson and Revis a year.

Best bet is Houston/Slay with Bentley at nickel. Alot of free agents I like though.

Not many rookie CBs (even Round 1) play well right away. Took Peterson and Revis a year.

Best bet is Houston/Slay with Bentley at nickel. Alot of free agents I like though.

So we should never draft one because they don't play right away?

Should have taken Patrick Peterson last year..

So we should never draft one because they don't play right away?

Should have taken Patrick Peterson last year..

Mayhew tried to trade up. Given the rest of that draft now, would have been a great move. But Cards didn't think getting enough value.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't take one, just don't expect a stud secondary with a rookie CB and Slay.

my post senior bowl mock with youtube videos of each pick incase mayhew sees this:

Rd1 Justin Gilbert CB
Love Dennard....but he cant sniff gilberts athleticism. Watch some of the returns....dennard does not have the top end speed like gilbert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeHXzM3s5LM

Rd 2 Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE
Im all in on this Stafford "experiment." He got his coaches fired...and the excuses now turn to he needs more weapons than calvin, bush an Pettigrew....3 first rounders in their own right. SOooooo....my focus the rest of the draft will be to get the kid some help so if he fails....there will be no excuses left and we know if we will have to move on or not. My 2nd rd pick will be Amaro or Seferian-Jenkins....whoever is left on the board. Im taking Jenkins here but theres less of a chance hes here than Amaro imo. Think of him as a Pettigrew with great hands, more athletic and can run all the routes. Very athletic for being 265 lbs. Dui car crash is the only reason hes still on the board....will fit right in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo

Rd3 Ahmad Dixon S
Heavy hitter, good ball skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-eILuV_xk

Rd 4 Donte Moncrief WR
Good production in the SEC. Deceptively fast for his height. Hes not going to juke anyone out of their shoes....but hes size on the outside opposite calvin...something this team has lacked since calvin has been here. I think some Wrs passed him on senior bowl week and hes not going to wow anyone at the combine which is why hes still here imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2KTeJEIs-c

im covering what I think are our biggest needs....offensive weapons and secondary.

Last edited:
LKP, just want to remind you and others how frequently CBs get injured, not just on Lions but most teams. Snagging another CB in R1-3 is smart because it gives the kid a chance to learn before getting thrown into the mix probably by Week 8 at the latest due to injuries ahead of him. Plus he grows now instead of waiting until Houston is completely useless in next 2 years, which as everyone has pointed out is the normal growth period for a CB. Why would we wait until after Houston is gone to get a CB and then need to wait 2 years for the kid to develop, meanwhile watching the DBs continue to be torched and last in NFL?

Same goes for C people. We need to draft Dom's replacement this year so that we have a solid C when he is no longer viable. BTW, what is the current plan if Dom goes down? Not someone any of us would consider solid or having growth potential. Get our future C now, one who can actually play this year though if Dom is injured.

R1 should definitely be WR, R2 some solid CBs will still be available, R3 C is a very logical draft. Granted we will go BPA, but if they drafted the R1-3 in this way, would people really be upset? Depth is very much needed at CB and C, and planning ahead is how championship teams are built. Waiting until a guy is no longer playing and trying too late to fill that gap when everyone knows it is looming is the way losers are built.

Much still depends on FA though. If they grab a C in FA, then obviously that changes things. I would love for them to grab Dom's replacement in FA this year even though he did well last year because I just don't trust he will not be injured soon due to age. While I have seen teams mix up their OL to overcome a C being injured, does anyone actually trust the Lions to have a quality change in place? Hopefully Dom has one more year in him, but I don't like the idea of drafting a C in R1 next year because of desperation and poor pre-planning. They don't really have the cap space to get a big name C in FA, so I'm doubtful they can get one. Dom is at league minimum, so pretty sure his replacement will earn more regardless, but at least the rookie cap helps keep it relatively low.

LKP, just want to remind you and others how frequently CBs get injured, not just on Lions but most teams. Snagging another CB in R1-3 is smart because it gives the kid a chance to learn before getting thrown into the mix probably by Week 8 at the latest due to injuries ahead of him. Plus he grows now instead of waiting until Houston is completely useless in next 2 years, which as everyone has pointed out is the normal growth period for a CB. Why would we wait until after Houston is gone to get a CB and then need to wait 2 years for the kid to develop, meanwhile watching the DBs continue to be torched and last in NFL?

Same goes for C people. We need to draft Dom's replacement this year so that we have a solid C when he is no longer viable. BTW, what is the current plan if Dom goes down? Not someone any of us would consider solid or having growth potential. Get our future C now, one who can actually play this year though if Dom is injured.

R1 should definitely be WR, R2 some solid CBs will still be available, R3 C is a very logical draft. Granted we will go BPA, but if they drafted the R1-3 in this way, would people really be upset? Depth is very much needed at CB and C, and planning ahead is how championship teams are built. Waiting until a guy is no longer playing and trying too late to fill that gap when everyone knows it is looming is the way losers are built.

Much still depends on FA though. If they grab a C in FA, then obviously that changes things. I would love for them to grab Dom's replacement in FA this year even though he did well last year because I just don't trust he will not be injured soon due to age. While I have seen teams mix up their OL to overcome a C being injured, does anyone actually trust the Lions to have a quality change in place? Hopefully Dom has one more year in him, but I don't like the idea of drafting a C in R1 next year because of desperation and poor pre-planning. They don't really have the cap space to get a big name C in FA, so I'm doubtful they can get one. Dom is at league minimum, so pretty sure his replacement will earn more regardless, but at least the rookie cap helps keep it relatively low.

Why do people think that the Lions need another stud WR? The Lions NEED a better secondary and depth on the defense. If you watched the Lions this year their biggest weakness was in the secondary. If the best CB in the draft is there at 10 you take him. They can get a sure handed WR cheaply in FA, draft another in round 2 or 3 and take one later in the draft.

Last edited:
Why do people think that the Lions need another stud WR? The Lions NEED a better secondary and depth on the defense. If you watched the Lions this year their biggest weakness was in the secondary. If the best CB in the draft is there at 10 you take him. They can get a sure handed WR cheaply in FA, draft another in round 2 or 3 and take one later in the draft.

Maybe because we score 13 points vs the 4-12 Vikings without CJ.

My reasons are:

1. Have high talent player capable of drawing coverage from CJ or make the D pay the price for focusing too much on CJ.
2. If CJ is injured, it no longer means an automatic loss. (See Green Bay G1 and Minny G2)
3. D has to respect pass even more, meaning they are even less focused on run, meaning the D will need to double cover another WR instead of single coverage, meaning run offense should have one less guy to block, meaning the run O should improve.
4. D is more focused on outside WRs so it should open up the middle more for slot WR#3 and TEs.

But those are just my reasons, foolish as some might perceive them to be.

My reasons are:

1. Have high talent player capable of drawing coverage from CJ or make the D pay the price for focusing too much on CJ.
2. If CJ is injured, it no longer means an automatic loss. (See Green Bay G1 and Minny G2)
3. D has to respect pass even more, meaning they are even less focused on run, meaning the D will need to double cover another WR instead of single coverage, meaning run offense should have one less guy to block, meaning the run O should improve.
4. D is more focused on outside WRs so it should open up the middle more for slot WR#3 and TEs.

My reasons are:

1. Drafting Derrick Williams
2. Paying $25 million for Nate Burleson - still a cap hit into his 40s
3. Drafting Titus Young
4. Drafting Ryan Broyles
5. Trading for Mike Thomas
6. The derailment and subsequent death of all passengers on the Pat Edwards train
7. Allowing Matt Stafford to pick his college roommate Kris Durham because they Eiffel Towered once.

Sorry Mayhew tried 7 times.

My reasons are:

1,3 & 4 are good reasons to have another good WR but that doesn't mean you need to take a "franchise" type #1 with the 10th pick in the draft. They already have one of those. All they need is a good WR and better depth which can be had later in the draft.

My reasons are:

3. Drafting Titus Young
4. Drafting Ryan Broyles
6. The derailment and subsequent death of all passengers on the Pat Edwards train
7. Allowing Matt Stafford to pick his college roommate Kris Durham because they Eiffel Towered once.

So you have proven that Mayhew can't evaluate WR talent and you want him to take one with the 10th pick? That doesn't make sense.

So you have proven that Mayhew can't evaluate WR talent and you want him to take one with the 10th pick? That doesn't make sense.

He's actually hit on first rounders. Outside of that things get pretty sketchy.

My reasons are:

3. Drafting Titus Young
4. Drafting Ryan Broyles

We have Xanders now, better odds at getting a winner with his advice.

I did all the youtube work for him! pick moncrief in the 4th as an outside WR! IMO a dynamic TE in the middle of the field is even more important than a #2 WR....someone that can open things up for the outside WRs. You get that and you technically should have an unstoppable offense. If you bracket CJ, and pull coverage with a dynamic TE threat in the middle....either bush or the #2 WR just has to beat their man.

Back