Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

Why the love for Jenkins? I know this wouldn't be a Lions draft without a 2nd round pick coming off surgery but haven't we learned anything yet?

Talent - mid to late 1st round talent falling to the 2nd means the value would be there. Hes a monster and good blocker as well as a guy that can run a full route tree...not just a 6 yd curl.

Need - if we don't resign Pettigrew the need is there. If we do resign Pettigrew...then mayhew sucks and I reserve the right to change my mock.

Talent - mid to late 1st round talent falling to the 2nd means the value would be there. Hes a monster and good blocker as well as a guy that can run a full route tree...not just a 6 yd curl.

Need - if we don't resign Pettigrew the need is there. If we do resign Pettigrew...then mayhew sucks and I reserve the right to change my mock.

SURGERY..That should outweigh all. It even says he might not be ready to have a workout by the draft which means be could miss OTA's. He might have more talent but this is Broyles all over again.

SURGERY..That should outweigh all. It even says he might not be ready to have a workout by the draft which means be could miss OTA's. He might have more talent but this is Broyles all over again.

well as much as I hated the broyles pick....it was never about him coming off an acl for me. People recover from ACLs all the time. I hated the broyles pick cause the need wasn't there and you don't pick a slot WR in rd 2 when you have holes everywhere. TE is going to be a big hole for us if Pettigrew isn't resigned....Fauria isn't an every down TE. I do agree with you that a 2nd round pick should contribute right away. This surgery might keep him out some OTAs but I don't think it would jeopardize him being ready for week 1 which is 6 months away. ASJ would be a major impact for this offense....I never in a million years thought broyles would be a major impact for this offense. And thatd really what im slotting for my 2nd round pick....someone to impact the offense....if Jordan Matthews falls that far hed be my pick. but as it stands now....I think hes gone before our 2nd round pick.

TE it's not a second round need for me. Plus, with Broyles he might have been taken way too high but the reason why he doesn't do anything it's because he's hurt. Same with Best..I could go on. I don't get why you draft a guy in the second round coming off an ACL. There is lots of talent in the draft, we don't need a TE with an ACL.

TE it's not a second round need for me. Plus, with Broyles he might have been taken way too high but the reason why he doesn't do anything it's because he's hurt. Same with Best..I could go on. I don't get why you draft a guy in the second round coming off an ACL. There is lots of talent in the draft, we don't need a TE with an ACL.

it wasn't an acl....it was a small stress fracture in his foot.....something he didn't even know was there but the doctors found and held him out of participating. im pretty sure...

it wasn't an acl....it was a small stress fracture in his foot.....something he didn't even know was there but the doctors found and held him out of participating. im pretty sure...

My bad but it's major enough that he can't participate for possibly 3 months. I would hate the pick in the second.

I mentioned it last week....start warming up the Lewan bus! Dude had a monster combine...looked like he could play DE lol. Personally I wouldn't pick him at 10 if gilbert is there....but I would understand the pick.,

Detroit Lions open to drafting an offensive lineman with 10th overall pick in NFL draft

Kyle Meinke | [email protected] By Kyle Meinke | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on February 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM, updated February 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM

INDIANAPOLIS -- MMQB's Peter King projected this week that the Detroit Lions would select Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan with their 10th overall pick.

That sound you hear is either readers spitting coffee into their computer screens, or commenters pounding on their keyboards about how King is an idiot who was born in a barn and probably yesterday.

I get it.

But here's something: The Detroit Lions are open to the idea of drafting an offensive lineman with that 10th overall pick.

"As you guys know, we like to keep our options open. Know what I mean?" Detroit general manager Martin Mayhew said. "We're looking for good players. The most important thing we need, from a talent standpoint, is guys who can play football. Doesn't matter what position they play. That's the way I look at it."

This boils down to the classic need vs. best player available debate.

Detroit needs receivers and cornerbacks, and there's a fleet of good ones in this draft. The most likely outcome is Roger Goodell hands Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard that Honolulu blue hat in May.

But if a player the Lions believe to be special falls to them at No. 10, they will consider that option seriously. That includes at positions of strength, including offensive line.

Detroit is young and talented at tackle, where Riley Reiff is entering his third season (and second as a starter on the left side) and LaAdrian Waddle his second. The Lions are comfortable with that lineup.

But elite tackles aren't easy t come by in the draft, nor do they come cheaply in free agency. If the Lions believe a good one is available, they could forgo more pressing needs to pick up that guy.

Texas A&M's Jake Matthews, Auburn's Greg Robinson and Lewan are widely considered the three best tackles in the draft (and NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock believes they are more talented than the three tackles who went in the first four picks of last year's draft).

"(Waddle and Corey Hilliard) are quality players on our offensive line and we wouldn't shy away at all from putting those guys on the field," Mayhew said. "I feel comfortable with those guys out there. By the same token, if you can upgrade that position, I think you have to look into that."

My bad but it's major enough that he can't participate for possibly 3 months. I would hate the pick in the second.

heres cheenos repost from it looks like rotoworld...2 months typical recovery time. No biggie...

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Player
Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins underwent surgery Friday to repair a stress fracture in his left foot.
Doctors discovered the injury at the Combine, and the 2013 Mackey Award winner was disallowed from participating. Seferian-Jenkins' recovery timetable is eight weeks, making it possible "ASJ" won't work out for scouts before May's draft. The Huskies' Pro Day is on April 2. Seferian-Jenkins continues to look like a second-day prospect in a draft class teeming with talented tight ends.

Just so you know if you weren't aware already I have no clue whether that TE is good or not. I rarely watch college football. In-fact I didn't know who he was until the combine.

So I base stuff on what you guys says, my view on what I think the Lions need. Add in that I don't want a second round pick that is coming off even the minor of injuries.

Just so you know if you weren't aware already I have no clue whether that TE is good or not. I rarely watch college football. In-fact I didn't know who he was until the combine.

So I base stuff on what you guys says, my view on what I think the Lions need. Add in that I don't want a second round pick that is coming off even the minor of injuries.

Heres a small clip. Nothing too exciting...remember the guy is 270 lbs. But being that big and can move that well is impressive. Notice how a lot of his routes are down field and intermediate routes. he doesn't just run 5 yards then turn around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo

I'll take your word for it but missing OTA's is a possibility. I just don't like it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/bucky-brooks/190601

good ol bucky has us getting Watkins....keep dreaming....

I'd take that.....here's the problem with that mock.

I could see the first 6 going down like that.....but what he doesn't take into account is someone leapfrogging the Lions somewhere between 7-9. Buffalo would receive more offers than it could count from teams KNOWING that Watkins would be gone at 10.

Buffalo would come away from that scenario with at least an extra 2nd round pick.

I'd take that.....here's the problem with that mock.

I could see the first 6 going down like that.....but what he doesn't take into account is someone leapfrogging the Lions somewhere between 7-9. Buffalo would receive more offers than it could count from teams KNOWING that Watkins would be gone at 10.

Buffalo would come away from that scenario with at least an extra 2nd round pick.

I don't see the raiders taking bortles over Watkins or buffalo taking ebron over Watkins...and ya, like you said...theyd get offered the world if he fell to 9.

Heres a small clip. Nothing too exciting...remember the guy is 270 lbs. But being that big and can move that well is impressive. Notice how a lot of his routes are down field and intermediate routes. he doesn't just run 5 yards then turn around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo

This kid is 270? Holy shit, he's smooth and fluid in his movements. Looks like a freak out there. Go get him!!

If we can give up our normal 4th round pick or lower (since the compensatory pick can't be traded), I'd be up for trading for Claiborne. But I think in this draft a 3rd round pick is too valuable to trade for an oft-injured, once-talented CB.

The boys D is so brutal, Deion would look like Chris Houston. Brandon Carr went from lockdown to garbage. Steal him and coach him up.

This kid is 270? Holy shit, he's smooth and fluid in his movements. Looks like a freak out there. Go get him!!

he actually played at 282 lbs this year cause he was being asked to block more for Washington lol. He admitted that was way too high for him and he cut 20 lbs. He wasn't able to run at the combine but he was hoping for a 4.65. Im sure that's a lowball number...a lot of ppl don't meet what they "hope" to run....but even if that means hes in the 4.7-4.8 range that's still a great number.

Back