Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 NFC Playoff Thread

Thanks NFL is goofy

It actually makes sense. H2H has always been 1 vs 1 not 1 vs 1 vs 1. Plus if we're tied with Atlanta and Seattle, we didn't play Seattle. If we're tied with Atlanta and Carolina.. They played twice which could be an advantage or disadvantage over someone (Detroit) who only played once.

Much simpler to just go conference, and then common opponents.

It actually makes sense. H2H has always been 1 vs 1 not 1 vs 1 vs 1. Plus if we're tied with Atlanta and Seattle, we didn't play Seattle. If we're tied with Atlanta and Carolina.. They played twice which could be an advantage or disadvantage over someone (Detroit) who only played once.

I see your point but still if they played twice they'd still be 2-0 0-2 or 1-1 in the case of 1-1 then go to conference record plus in that ALT/CAR both beat DET but we'd somehow get the nod over both...seems goofy..I could see ALT SEA and CAR all finishing 10-6 maybe the lions to but won't hold my breath who gets the two spots if all four finish 10-6

Last edited:
Just let everyone make the playoffs.. seed them 1-32..
More revenue, more games, more than time, more of everything the NFL loves

I'd go with opponents winning percentage as the first tiebreaker.

I see your point but still if they played twice they'd still be 2-0 0-2 or 1-1 in the case of 1-1 then go to conference record plus in that ALT/CAR both beat DET but we'd somehow get the nod over both...seems goofy..I could see ALT SEA and CAR all finishing 10-6 maybe the lions to but won't hold my breath who gets the two spots if all four finish 10-6

But it wouldn't be fair.

Regardless, this team ain't getting a playoff win. And I'm sick of Caldwell.

In a 10-6 Carolina/Detroit/Seattle tie, the tiebreak goes to conference record:

Detroit would be 8-4
Seattle would be 8-4
Carolina would be 6-6

Carolina is eliminated

Remaining Detroit/Seattle tiebreak goes to common games, which is GB, NY Giants, Arizona, and Atlanta

Detroit would be 4-1
Seattle would be either 3-2 or 2-3 depending on the outcome of the Arizona game

Detroit wins

Sounds like a week 16 loss to stay out of this situation.

The worst thing for this organization is to go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. Because that'll be enough firepower for the Fords to keep Caldwell.

I don't think Caldwell is a good coach. That being said, if the Lions win 10 games and miss the playoffs, don't you think he did a good job? Most reasonable people think the Lions are a mediocre team (talent wise). If they are a mediocre team but win 10 games don't you think the coaching must have been above average?

I don't think Caldwell is a good coach. That being said, if the Lions win 10 games and miss the playoffs, don't you think he did a good job? Most reasonable people think the Lions are a mediocre team (talent wise). If they are a mediocre team but win 10 games don't you think the coaching must have been above average?

No.

Because they only beat bad teams. I think they were predicted to be better than 7-6 at this time and too many mistakes. And the fact every team loses their QB and we still might finish in 3rd. Look at GB , talent wise outside AR they stink. Yet still are 7-6 even with AR missing 8 games so far.

Him getting hurt is the only reason we have a glimmer of hope to make the playoffs.

Normally, I would agree with you. But when you watch this team play its pretty clear even to the fans that they are not well coached.

We play not to lose. The personel we run out there is NOT put in the best positions to succeed. Look at the TB game. EVERYONE ON THE planet knew that on 3rd and goal they were going play action. I did. I am ABSOLUTELY sure that Austin did too. So what do we do.....we put Kasim Edibaldi.....a pass rushing DE.......on OJ Howard. Edibaldi didn't even bite on the weak ass play action......he simply cannot cover OJ Howard. It's not his fault. WHY THE FUCK didn't we have JRM or Davis or Whitehead covering him?? Or Killabrew.....or Diggs....or Quin. There are literally 10-12 better options to covering a TE in an obvious passing situation. We went with option 13.....they scored an easy TD. SHOCKING!!!

That's a coaching breakdown. Plain and simple. We consistently have break downs on goal line situations....offense and defense. That's coaching. Our inability to produce in short yardage and inside the 10 yard line are inexcusable. The way we start games slow time after time, having less than 11 men on the field.....less than 10 men on the field. Ridiculous. Running Tion Green on a DELAYED sweep on 3rd and 1? Stupid.

I look at the 2017 Lions and see that we have 7-9, maybe 8-8 talent. We have a QB that could probably push that to 10-6 or 11-5. We have the coaching that will eventually bring us back down to 8 or 9 wins. I think we win IN SPITE of our coaches.

I like Caldwell.....but as a head coach he is the leader of a team that plays with razor thin margins for error. NE played an unbelievably bad game against Miami last night. Brady was terrible and their defense was really bad. They lost by 7 on the road. If the Lions have a terrible night by #9 and our defense sucks.......we lose by 24 or 30.

I think I’ve figured out most of the major tiebreakers, will be making another thread for it later today.

No, because the end result is to get into the playoffs and do something, not beat 9 shit teams (Only good win right now is against Minnesota). The rest is just fluff and noise.

Having up all those playoff banners should tell you about this organization as a whole. 13 playoffs, and 1 win in 60 seasons. They haven't been to the playoffs two years in a row in 22 seasons.

Having up all those playoff banners should tell you about this organization as a whole. 13 playoffs, and 1 win in 60 seasons. They haven't been to the playoffs two years in a row in 22 seasons.

Yes. We're in 2018 then!!!!!

Hey they took those down with the remodel. They realized how stupid it was.

No.

Because they only beat bad teams. I think they were predicted to be better than 7-6 at this time and too many mistakes. And the fact every team loses their QB and we still might finish in 3rd. Look at GB , talent wise outside AR they stink. Yet still are 7-6 even with AR missing 8 games so far.

Him getting hurt is the only reason we have a glimmer of hope to make the playoffs.

I agree that the coaching staff is sub par, but I am playing devil's advocate. Most posters here say the talent level on the Lions is below average, coaching is below average and that leaves the QB position. Most say #9 is above average to good with one delusional homer saying he is elite. If the Lions finish 10-6 you have to give credit to something or someone...don't you?

I agree that the coaching staff is sub par, but I am playing devil's advocate. Most posters here say the talent level on the Lions is below average, coaching is below average and that leaves the QB position. Most say #9 is above average to good with one delusional homer saying he is elite. If the Lions finish 10-6 you have to give credit to something or someone...don't you?

Yeah, the people that made the NFL schedules, the fact that this division is one of the worst in football, and the NFL just being a horribly average product. If the Lions finish 10-6, we can say they are slightly above that average.

I can give you my opinion this way.

I think a guy like Brian Hoyer is a league average QB. He's better than the worst 3-5 starters in the league but not nearly as good as the good QB's

If Hoyer starts 16 games for the 2017 Detroit Lions.....I think we finish 5-11, maybe 6-10. The defense has played well at times, and won us a couple games. We aren't terrible. A good QB SHOULD be worth 3-5 victories/year. I think ours is.

My guess is we finish 9-7. I think we are on the cusp of having a 11-12 win roster......I just do NOT believe we have the coaching staff that would allow us to get there. So IF we do win 10 games.....I'll give 50% of the credit to Stafford, 25% to Austin, 20% to Quinn for a deeper roster than years past, and 5% to Caldwell for not showing up to games naked and drunk.

Back