Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Free Agency

Jeez. . Does anyone want to come to Detroit? Has to be someone out there lol!!!!

I always suspected players are about the money only but if they were smart they'd see Detroit hasn't done jack since way before anyone of them were born.

With Ebron gone and few difference-makers at positions of need, would now be a good time to make a run at Suh? On one hand, Poe (or Richardson) is quite a bit younger. On the other, Suh is the significantly better player and DTs tend to remain productive longer than other positions (case in point, Ngata). 5 year contract that's really a three year contract would give the team more time to draft a long-term replacement DT. And in the meantime, we get someone who can actually pressure the QB outside of Ansah twice a year.

Why sign any of those old ass RB'S , makes zero sense . Good job Quinn , dont take the bait,we dont need a two year scrub ... I dont like getting rid of Ebron cause i think he just started to be the TE we thought he would be when we drafted him in the 1st round . Lots of money to him so i get it . Go get gesicki in the 4th round and i'll be ok with it .

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/974052878506749952

Former Seahawks? CB DeShawn Shead just signed with the Detroit Lions - a one year deal worth $3.5 million that could go to $6.5M with playtime incentives, per source.

REALLY like this signing... Low risk high reward... Dude was PRETTY good when he was starting for the legion of boom, had 14 PD's one year and has played all 4 DB spots. Came back late last year from an ACL but should be fully healthy and is hopefully a nice addition fill the DJ Hayden role better than DJ did last year..

Best RB on the roster if he signs tho. Then you draft a stud in the 1st or 2nd and Gore mentors him. No harm no foul...

You're setting the bar pretty low for best RB. I don't think Gore is the mentor type. More the paid assassin type except this is like the 70 yr old sniper.

You're setting the bar pretty low for best RB. I don't think Gore is the mentor type. More the paid assassin type except this is like the 70 yr old sniper.

Don't care. At 34-35 he almost ran for a 1,000 yds on a piss poor indy team with no Andrew Luck. This is an instant upgrade on a better Lions team. You still draft a RB high and Gore isn't your bellcow. The guy has been in the league 15 yrs. Wtf do you mean he isn't a mentor? He's the face of professionalism in this league...

What does being a mentor even mean? In terms of on-field performance, we have coaches for that, people paid specifically to teach the system and how best to contribute. Off the field, why would a 21/22 year old new millionaire be hanging out with a 35 year old short-term teammate?

It doesn't even make logical sense that a player fighting to stay in the league (Gore) would be dedicating time to helping out the kid who is set to take his job. Maybe, MAYBE the new kid can watch what Gore does to stay in shape and prepare for games. But that's still what we have trainers and coaches for. And it's not like rookies come into the league and find out about film study for the first time. They've been doing this at very nearly a professional level for years already.

Note: None of this is to say Gore can't contribute as a runner. He ran better than expected behind a bad line last year. He shouldn't be expected to act as a feature back, but I don't think that is the intention anyway.

Last edited:
What does being a mentor even mean? In terms of on-field performance, we have coaches for that, people paid specifically to teach the system and how best to contribute. Off the field, why would a 21/22 year old new millionaire be hanging out with a 35 year old short-term teammate?

It doesn't even make logical sense that a player fighting to stay in the league (Gore) would be dedicating time to helping out the kid who is set to take his job. Maybe, MAYBE the new kid can watch what Gore does to stay in shape and prepare for games. But that's still what we have traders and coaches for. And it's not like rookies come into the league and find out about film study for the first time. They've been doing this at very nearly a professional level for years already.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1...ng-Backs/bd7e2f6e-82f4-4360-9ea9-7fc5f53cc266

"Having served as an apprentice to Gore — and developing a close friendship that included enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with the rookie’s family — the focus now is on how Mack can take what he’s learned and apply it into his first full NFL offseason."

Still runs hard and ACTUALLY converts on third and shorts where we have always struggled, has been one of the most consistent running backs ever, and is a great teammate and locker room guy. Yeah I'll take that on a 1 year deal with an early round rookie.

EDIT: They are talking about Marlon Mack in that part of the article... A 4th rounder who is probably going to start for them this season...

Last edited:
Back