Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Free Agency

Still runs hard and ACTUALLY converts on third and shorts where we have always struggled, has been one of the most consistent running backs ever, and is a great teammate and locker room guy. Yeah I'll take that on a 1 year deal with an early round rookie

Just saw a stat on Twitter about that

?Whatever happens here is a note. Gore last year on 3rd or 4th and short had 15 carries and 13 first downs. That production would be welcome.?

https://twitter.com/DanMillerFox2/status/974101442670739456?s=20

For comparison, the Lions as a team had 8 first downs on 17 3rd/4th & short carries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2017_splits.htm

Just saw a stat on Twitter about that

?Whatever happens here is a note. Gore last year on 3rd or 4th and short had 15 carries and 13 first downs. That production would be welcome.?

https://twitter.com/DanMillerFox2/status/974101442670739456?s=20

For comparison, the Lions as a team had 8 first downs on 17 3rd/4th & short carries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2017_splits.htm

Looks like Zenner was 1 for 4
Tion Green was 4 for 5
Riddick 0 for 1
Stafford 1 for 3
Dwayne Washington 1 for 3
Ameer Abdullah 1 for 1

Small sample size, but Green could be successful.

I'm completely okay with not signing any of the guys we whiffed on. Lots of question marks and lots of miles on the legs.

What I am not okay with is trying to fill all of these holes via the draft with only 6 picks to work with.

We lost some big pieces, even though they did not really contribute last season (Ebron, Ngata) and while we may have some guys who can step in and fill some of those roles, I'm just not seeing a clear path to it at this time.

I like Ngata but at his age getting hurt is a big concern to me , I'd go younger .

I like Ngata but at his age getting hurt is a big concern to me , I'd go younger .

Agreed. He's been a great player in his career, but his last 16 game season was 2011, and guys don't get healthier when they get older.

If we're going to pay the guy like he's a linchpin on defense, he's gotta be a linchpin on defense, and he can't do that on IR.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they sign Slauson...versatile, worked with Jeff Davidson before, and now has a fellow lineman here. Just hope he can stay healthy.

What does being a mentor even mean? In terms of on-field performance, we have coaches for that, people paid specifically to teach the system and how best to contribute. Off the field, why would a 21/22 year old new millionaire be hanging out with a 35 year old short-term teammate?

It doesn't even make logical sense that a player fighting to stay in the league (Gore) would be dedicating time to helping out the kid who is set to take his job. Maybe, MAYBE the new kid can watch what Gore does to stay in shape and prepare for games. But that's still what we have trainers and coaches for. And it's not like rookies come into the league and find out about film study for the first time. They've been doing this at very nearly a professional level for years already.

Note: None of this is to say Gore can't contribute as a runner. He ran better than expected behind a bad line last year. He shouldn't be expected to act as a feature back, but I don't think that is the intention anyway.

Nobody is saying Gore needs to be hanging out with anyone lol. Gore has been doing this for 15 yrs now at a position that averages about 4-5 yrs shelf life. He leads by example. If I was a young RB coming into the league I would be finding out how he does it. Ask him a ton of questions, pick his brain. That's what a mentor is. It has nothing to do with coaches or trainers...

Like it. Go for offensive line and defensive line !!!! Spend money on the trenches !!!!

Last edited:
Francois and dial are garbage but fit 3-4. Slausen solid but injury prone. Wiggins unknown

Back