Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

a new QB, basically WRS 1-3 being new, a new coaching staff, a new offensive system, and no OTAs. That's a lot to overcome. I think it would be a miracle if this offense is in the top 20

a new QB, basically WRS 1-3 being new, a new coaching staff, a new offensive system, and no OTAs. That's a lot to overcome. I think it would be a miracle if this offense is in the top 20

People are also assuming our run game will be improved due to the oline but we dont even know if Swift can handle an increased work load. Does he fumble more...or does he get 2000 yards? lol.

Sooo many variables.

People are also assuming our run game will be improved due to the oline but we dont even know if Swift can handle an increased work load. Does he fumble more...or does he get 2000 yards? lol.

Sooo many variables.

You're a real buzz kill you know.

Funny that Goff was so successful in that same offense for two years and then really went south the last two. There has to be something that was done to effect that. QB's don't typically regress like that as they're COMING INTO their prime years. I do know that the Rams got significantly less athletic skill position players those last two years. Gurley was absolutely NOT the same. He's gone. Lost Brandon Cooks. Not saying that's the only reason, but it does make that offense much easier to defend.

Defenses in that division got real good too. SF, SEA and ARI all took steps forward the last couple years...something has to give at that point and i dont think the expectation that your just going to walk thru the division is a fair one when the run game was vastly worse and he lost some of his offensive personnel so they could pay to revamp the D.

At the same time....ive seen him do some really stupid shit to lose games the last 2 years. usually comes from pressing at the end of games. Oddly, thats where Stafford shined. We shouldnt expect to see the same from Goff.

90 passer rating for Goff last season, Staff had 5 season's worst than that. First 4 season Staffs had a 82.8 passer rating. I think people are idiots thinking Staff is a step up.

90 passer rating for Goff last season, Staff had 5 season's worst than that. First 4 season Staffs had a 82.8 passer rating. I think people are idiots thinking Staff is a step up.

Stafford does more with less

Goff did less with more

Plus the game tape shows Staffords better in most areas. Better decisions, arm talent, reading defenses, experience, mobility

Their stats are very similar throughout their careers. I'm no Stafford fan, but compared to what Goff had in terms of run support and defense, Goff had it easy. What should worry Lions fans is Goff got worse over the past 2 seasons.

Matt will likely play very well in LA. I think Goff is going to suck in Detroit.

Stafford does more with less

Goff did less with more

Plus the game tape shows Staffords better in most areas. Better decisions, arm talent, reading defenses, experience, mobility

Better decisions...that's scary...because Matt seemed to make a LOT of terrible decisions.

Better decisions...that's scary...because Matt seemed to make a LOT of terrible decisions.

3rd and longs, lack of separation from weapons, having to make a play, bad routes, some poor protection in there. It could seem like he was making bad decisions but he really wasn't

Guess we'll see if you're right or wrong pretty soon.

I expect Stafford to be solid in the 1st half of the year......and be really, really good in the 2nd half.

I'll say 4,700 yards. 37 TD. 12 INT. 107 passer rating.

I expect Stafford to be solid in the 1st half of the year......and be really, really good in the 2nd half.

Or good the 1st half, not so go good the 2nd half..

that would shock me.

I do believe that he will have more yards, TDs, a higher rating, and fewer INTs than Goff

oh, I forgot about the extra game.

I guess he could get close to 4700 but I'll take the under
the TDs are a question mark but also take the under
I would take the over on the INTs if he plays 16 or 17 games
I'd put a lot on under a rating of 107

My Guess for Stafford...broken leg in qtr 1 of game 1. In an unexpected turn of events a new strain of covid hits only the Rams locker room and Aaron Donald tests positive for 6 months straight! Rams go 3-14 and lions get their #3 draft pick to add to their #2 draft pick.

We draft Thibodeaux and a QB.

Their stats are very similar throughout their careers. I'm no Stafford fan, but compared to what Goff had in terms of run support and defense, Goff had it easy. What should worry Lions fans is Goff got worse over the past 2 seasons.

Matt will likely play very well in LA. I think Goff is going to suck in Detroit.

A defense won't make you complete a pass. As far as Goff's trend, maybe you forget 2012-14. 3 seasons of crap.

My Guess for Stafford...broken leg in qtr 1 of game 1. In an unexpected turn of events a new strain of covid hits only the Rams locker room and Aaron Donald tests positive for 6 months straight! Rams go 3-14 and lions get their #3 draft pick to add to their #2 draft pick.

We draft Thibodeaux and a QB.

I won?t wish for anyone to get injured.....especially Stafford......

But I don?t hate this scenario!!

A defense won't make you complete a pass. As far as Goff's trend, maybe you forget 2012-14. 3 seasons of crap.

A defense gives you more opportunities to complete passes with better field position (especially a defense that forces almost or more than 30 turnovers). Those make it easier to have passing TDs which significantly raise your QB rating.

In Staffords case, he had to go like 80 yards way more than he should and really pass for most of that yardage because the run game wasn't giving him much extra first downs or yardage compared to other QBs/teams. No Derrick Henrys or Dalvin Cook constantly moving the chains. No Aaron Jones with over 5 YPC all season. This is exactly why he wanted out at the regime change. Years upon years of having to do it all himself. The best he could get was a poor mans Kamara with Swift or Riddick catching the ball.

Stafford has had the least run game of any team in the last 10 years and the least turnovers forced by a defense. Fact. It was a bad combo and Lions tried but couldn't fix it for various reasons. Injuries, players getting too old (Tate and Burleson), bad schemes (Joe Lombardi 2014-2015, Cooter 2018, Princes blocking schemes), expiring contracts etc

2011, healthy weapons with like 4 options plus Calvin really surprising people, good protection, 27 turnovers from the defense. 41 TDs

Last edited:
Back