Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 NFL Draft Strategy - Thru Week 13

gotcha.

fyi...Olave isn't a slot guy. He's more like Devanta Smith. If you want a big guy to get contested balls, he probably isn't your guy. But he is a great route runner and I think he and St Brown would complement each other very nicely.

My guess is he runs around a 4.4 but I read that he's been clocked at 4.38

If he runs sub 4.4 at his pro day, he won't be available in the 2nd anyway.

I personally don't really get to excited with Olave. I think he is a solid prospect and will likely have a solid pro career, but he is more of a complimentary piece to me. Jameson Williams can be a true #1 guy to me, as can Garrett Wilson. I also think Burks may take a year or two, but he can be that guy as well. Hell even Drake London profiles as a potential #1 WR. Just don't think Olave is that guy.

Found this good compilation of WR stats on Reddit the other day:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/rvfq4n/oc_top_wr_stat_charts_tables_for_2022_class_that/

Don?t watch much college, have to do some more digging beyond the stats. I?m a little intrigued by Dotson, here?s a recent draft article about him: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...-nfl-draft-following-jameson-williams-injury/

I said it in another thread somewhere. Dotson is probably the 2nd most explosive WR in the class. Hes just smaller. Shorter and smaller frame 5'11'' 183). Great burst. I kinda lump Dotson, Olave and David Bell together as tweeners. They arent your prototypical outside WR..but can be productive out there if needed. I like them in that order. Dotson edges Olave for me due to his quickness and burst giving him big play potential.

Last edited:
I said it in another thread somewhere. Dotson is probably the 2nd most explosive WR in the class. Hes just smaller. Shorter and smaller frame 5'11'' 183). Great burst. I kinda lump Dotson, Olave and David Bell together as tweeners. They arent your prototypical outside WR..but can be productive out there if needed. I like them in that order. Dotson edges Olave for me due to his quickness and burst giving him big play potential.

I?d love to see the Lions get a prototypical outside number 1, but it certainly wouldn?t hurt to have playmakers regardless of size. I?m also a bit torn on who?s a good WR fit right now, I don?t think a jump ball or deep threat guy is necessarily going to flourish here with Goff, but could with a future QB, whereas a sure-handed/shifty/high YAC type player would be a good fit right now.

I?d love to see the Lions get a prototypical outside number 1, but it certainly wouldn?t hurt to have playmakers regardless of size. I?m also a bit torn on who?s a good WR fit right now, I don?t think a jump ball or deep threat guy is necessarily going to flourish here with Goff, but could with a future QB, whereas a sure-handed/shifty/high YAC type player would be a good fit right now.

100% agree with this. RIGHT NOW, we need speed no matter from what size player it comes from. Raymond has it, but that's it. This offense is crossing routes, slants and underneath stuff.....all better for smaller, shifty WR's.

I would like to see us add that true outside guy, though. I'd take London. Very DK Metcalf like. Probably not quite as fast, but has more shiftiness to his game. Tough to bring down after the catch. If we can't get our hands on Jameson Williams, London tops my list of guys that would be a good fit.

100% agree with this. RIGHT NOW, we need speed no matter from what size player it comes from. Raymond has it, but that's it. This offense is crossing routes, slants and underneath stuff.....all better for smaller, shifty WR's.

I would like to see us add that true outside guy, though. I'd take London. Very DK Metcalf like. Probably not quite as fast, but has more shiftiness to his game. Tough to bring down after the catch. If we can't get our hands on Jameson Williams, London tops my list of guys that would be a good fit.

That is how I see it as well. This offense has some really nice pieces. St. Brown has proven to be a weapon is many ways, but isn't a downfield guy and doesn't threaten a defense. Swift is another guy that is a short to intermediate target in the passing game. Even Cephus is much better suited for the short to intermediate stuff. I think Reynolds has some potential on deeper routes, but he doesn't scare anybody. Hockenson can threaten the deep middle with a good ability to fight for the ball in traffic and pretty good speed for a TE, but teams don't have to respect his ability to get behind the defense either.

Raymond is too much of a one trick pony so DB's can play soft and play the deep stuff with him. Jameson has the ability to do it all. That is what makes him so dangerous, IMO. London doesn't have the deep speed, but his physicality and ability to snag the ball over most DB's makes teams have to respect the downfield threat. I also think Burks will take a little bit longer to develop, but he has that ability as well.

Those are my three target at WR for the Rams pick or our second.

Just looked at the #2 pick in the last 10 drafts.

2012 RG3
2013 Luke Joeckel
2014 Greg Robinson
2015 Marcus Mariota
2016 Carson Wentz
2017 Mitch Trubisky
2018 Saquon Barkley
2019 Nick Bosa
2020 Chase Young
2021 Zach Wilson

I hope we end up on the Chase Young or Nick Bosa like result for our pick this year.

Just think. 2014 draft redone

With the 8th Pick in the draft the Lions select Aaron Donald !

Not freaking Eric Ebron.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/draft.htm

This franchise is inept. I hope this year the lions draft defense and maybe a Wr. Maybe some offense line depth because for all the pub our offense line is getting Decker and Ragnow can?t seem to stay healthy. I?m sure Dan will fall in love with a QB at the senior bowl and want to pick one with our second
First round pick.

Last edited:
I?m leaning more and more towards Malik Willis at #2. It was reported he ran a 4.37 40 at Auburn. That?s faster than Fields and Hurts, just a tad slower than Lamar and .7 slower than Murray. If he runs a 4.37 or better for scouts, his draft stock is going to sky rocket. Vick was a 4.33.

I know there?s more to the QB position than speed but a 4.37 from a QB is a game changer.

Last edited:
I?m leaning more and more towards Malik Willis at #2. It was reported he ran a 4.37 40 at Auburn. That?s faster than Fields and Hurts, just a tad slower than Lamar and .7 slower than Murray. If he runs a 4.37 or better for scouts, his draft stock is going to sky rocket. Vick was a 4.33.

I know there?s more to the QB position than speed but a 4.37 from a QB is a game changer.

Malik Willis will be a terrible NFL quarterback. Who gives a flying fuck how fast he can run? What did running a 4.33 ever get Vick? Nothing.

Give me a guy who can read a defense?.command the LOS?..and have the athleticism to keep a play alive. Willis couldn?t read lower level college defenses?.and he?s going to come in here and have success?? Doubt it.

Malik Willis will be a terrible NFL quarterback. Who gives a flying fuck how fast he can run? What did running a 4.33 ever get Vick? Nothing.

Give me a guy who can read a defense?.command the LOS?..and have the athleticism to keep a play alive. Willis couldn?t read lower level college defenses?.and he?s going to come in here and have success?? Doubt it.

He wasn?t even that fast looking at Temple. You?d figure for the competition he?d face he would be more explosive. Rushing numbers were mediocre, was sacked 51 times.

He wasn?t even that fast looking at Temple. You?d figure for the competition he?d face he would be more explosive. Rushing numbers were mediocre, was sacked 51 times.

Here's how I see it.

The natural comparison is Lamar Jackson.

1. How does his passing compare. They have VERY similar college staistics.....Jackson was doing it at Louisville....Willis at Liberty.....meaning Jackson put up his numbers against better competition on a weekly basis. Willis seems to have a slightly stronger arm and they seem to be similar with their accuracy.

What is Jackson's biggest weakness in the NFL? Reading defenses and throwing from the pocket. Willis rates LOWER than Jackson in this. Saying Willis will struggle reading defenses and throwing the ball accurately is an understatement.

2. Running. Lamar Jackson is a better runner. He is usually the best athlete on the field against even NFL competition. Willis lacks the quickness and explosiveness that Jackson does. Willis rates LOWER than Jackson running the ball.

I know that is scouting at it's simplest.....but I see Willis as s PROJECT QB. You can easily make the comparison against Lamar Jackson and see that he is going to be a less productive player across the board. Would I draft Willis. Yes. In the 4th or 5th round as a PROJECT QB. Using a 1st round pick on him would be assinine.....IMO of course. My NFL comparison would be Tyler Huntley or Daniel Jones. I think his ceiling is Tyrod Taylor......which would be great......for a 4th round pick!!

Last edited:
just sign Tyrod Taylor if you want tyrod taylor v2.0...save the draft capitol for a position of need.

Last edited:
Here's how I see it.

The natural comparison is Lamar Jackson.

1. How does his passing compare. They have VERY similar college staistics.....Jackson was doing it at Louisville....Willis at Liberty.....meaning Jackson put up his numbers against better competition on a weekly basis. Willis seems to have a slightly stronger arm and they seem to be similar with their accuracy.

What is Jackson's biggest weakness in the NFL? Reading defenses and throwing from the pocket. Willis rates LOWER than Jackson in this. Saying Willis will struggle reading defenses and throwing the ball accurately is an understatement.

2. Running. Lamar Jackson is a better runner. He is usually the best athlete on the field against even NFL competition. Willis lacks the quickness and explosiveness that Jackson does. Willis rates LOWER than Jackson running the ball.

I know that is scouting at it's simplest.....but I see Willis as s PROJECT QB. You can easily make the comparison against Lamar Jackson and see that he is going to be a less productive player across the board. Would I draft Willis. Yes. In the 4th or 5th round as a PROJECT QB. Using a 1st round pick on him would be assinine.....IMO of course. My NFL comparison would be Tyler Huntley or Daniel Jones. I think his ceiling is Tyrod Taylor......which would be great......for a 4th round pick!!

Pretty much he?s a poor man?s Lamar. If Willis has a chance it has to be as a better passer. Lamar Jackson had back to back years of nearly 1600 yards rushing and 20 touchdowns each. Meanwhile Willis had 800 and 900 with 14 and 13 tds. Against crap liberty competition. Just for a comparison Sam Howell had 800 and 11 this year

Last edited:
I am officially on the Rams winning the Super Bowl train. If the Rams win the Super Bowl, we get the 32nd pick. Someone will want to trade a future 1st rd pick to get a 5th year for a falling QB. That could make three 1st rd picks in 2023. That would be a fun draft.

Pretty much he?s a poor man?s Lamar. If Willis has a chance it has to be as a better passer. Lamar Jackson had back to back years of nearly 1600 yards rushing and 20 touchdowns each. Meanwhile Willis had 800 and 900 with 14 and 13 tds. Against crap liberty competition. Just for a comparison Sam Howell had 800 and 11 this year

That's what I'm saying. I don't think he's near the passer or runner that Lamar is. If I were a GM, I wouldn't take Willis in the first 2 days even if I needed a QB. I don't think he has any more potential than solid/good backup.

I watched his youtube highlights. I didn't see ONE throw from the pocket that he went to a 2nd read. NOT ONE. In the highlight reel he also has VERY clean pockets to throw from. I just can't imagine that he is going to adjust to the NFL speed WHILE learning to go through progressions WHILE dealing with a lot more pressure in the pocket on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I am officially on the Rams winning the Super Bowl train. If the Rams win the Super Bowl, we get the 32nd pick. Someone will want to trade a future 1st rd pick to get a 5th year for a falling QB. That could make three 1st rd picks in 2023. That would be a fun draft.

Besides Stafford, pick 32 and trade is another reason I want the Rams to win it

Back