Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL Draft Weekend Thread

Pick 96 - Brodric Martin DT Western Kentucky

Space-eating nose tackle for consideration in both odd and even fronts. Martin?s size and length will be coveted by NFL teams, but his impact on games can be blunted at times due to a lack of leverage to hold his anchor. If he can play with a little better bend and quicker hands, he has the awareness and ability to handle two-gapping duties. He can take on double teams with better technique and more work. Martin?s traits and talent create Day 3 draft value as a rotational interior lineman.

Strengths
Outstanding blend of size and length.
Block-eater able to occupy both A-gaps.
Ability to separate and read into the backfield.
Plays with quality activity level for a big man.
Strength to shove blockers aside in pursuing the football.
Works through gaps to dent the pocket as a rusher.

Weaknesses
Plays with tall pad level, limiting his point-of-attack leverage.
Needs to play with quicker initial hands to control blockers.
Average shed quickness and timing as a tackler.
Pursuit range is going to be fairly limited.
Not enough closing quickness to get to the quarterback.

Last edited:
L ions trade: Picks 122, 139, 168
Cardinals trade: Picks 96

I don't see it.. trading 3 picks for a guy rated as a late round guy?.He must be just a space eater. I like the safety. Not sure about the other guys. Gibbs and Campbell will be ok. I'd rather have the ND tight end over the Iowa guy but maybe the Iowa guy Blocks better. Just not wowed by this draft.

Last edited:
Quality over quantity!

It wasn't a negative comment....just trying to figure out what was left for us with all of the trades we've been a part of. So I think we started the draft with 9 picks and looks like we'll end with 8 picks.

Reactions: 503
Glad got a run stuffer. Preferred Ika but we trust Holmes

Two 5ths to move up but still got two day 3 picks

Last edited:
PFF on Martin

Pick Grade:Below Average
The 163rd overall player on the PFF big board, this is a bit of a reach for the Lions, but Martin is a big player who can fill a role in the middle of their defensive line at 6-foot-5 and 330 pounds. Despite his size, he graded out better as a pass-rusher than a run defender in college and won 9.4% of his pass-rushing snaps in 2022.

Trade 5th, 7th and next year 4th to move up and get KJ Henry tomorrow....id be pumped.

Last edited:
12 Branch
18 Hooker
34 Gibbs
45 Campbell
68 LaPorta

Great fucking draft holmes!

Using PFF grades

9 Jaxon Smith-Njigba
12 Christian Gonzalez
15 Branch
43 Laporta
47 Hooker

This is how it could have looked. I like my top 2 picks better.

That said, I really like the Branch and Hooker picks.

Using PFF grades

9 Jaxon Smith-Njigba
12 Christian Gonzalez
15 Branch
43 Laporta
47 Hooker

This is how it could have looked. I like my top 2 picks better.

That said, I really like the Branch and Hooker picks.

I think the way it has worked out is pretty damn good. I like all the picks.....some are "too high" but value in anything can only be measured once you know the return you get.

Campbell looks like bad "value" now, but if he helps solidify the run defense and can be a true 3 down LB (i have lots of questions about his ability to do that) then it is a good value.

I like the Gibbs pick. Really like the LaPorta and Branch picks. Hendon Hooker is what Lions fans have been looking for in a back up for a long time.....potential. He is 26 though......which means the timeline with him is pushed up. They'll either see something in him on the practice field and let Goff walk after next year......or they don't and Goff gets an extension. Put it's potential......which is a nice change.

I think the way it has worked out is pretty damn good. I like all the picks.....some are "too high" but value in anything can only be measured once you know the return you get.

Campbell looks like bad "value" now, but if he helps solidify the run defense and can be a true 3 down LB (i have lots of questions about his ability to do that) then it is a good value.

I like the Gibbs pick. Really like the LaPorta and Branch picks. Hendon Hooker is what Lions fans have been looking for in a back up for a long time.....potential. He is 26 though......which means the timeline with him is pushed up. They'll either see something in him on the practice field and let Goff walk after next year......or they don't and Goff gets an extension. Put it's potential......which is a nice change.
It only looks bad to the people that focus on all of these "mocks" instead of the professional scouts.

It only looks bad to the people that focus on all of these "mocks" instead of the professional scouts.

Every draft, I hear guys on sports talk radio ?hyping? the draft - because they?re paid to say shit that gets people to listen to them, which is fine - and right after the draft, they turn around and say it was just a great big game of Bingo - except it will take five years to figure out who won.

One guy that is still available that I like is Jalen Graham LB out of Purdue. I think he could be a late round steal.

Who else is there for a steal?

Why questioning Campbell as a 3 down LB? The best thing he does is pass coverage. No reason he won't be out there. His weakness is pass rushing and I don't think we would be asking him to do much of that anyway.

Back