Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Has Little Leverage

And Boom goes the Dynamite!

Well, he could've simply asked me for a link. But instead, he called me out and accused me of making shit up and hating Avril. If he's gonna do that, its fine. No issue. He better be right, though.

As it turns out, he isn't.

Avril is in for a rude awakening.

The thing is, on the open market, some stupid team would pay him the money he wants. If Eric Wright got almost $8 million per, you can bet Avril would get $12. I don't think he can get that thought out of his head. He'd be better off accepting his situation and "settling" for what Detroit is offering IMO.

I'M NOT MAKING SHIT UP.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/li...y-begins/acd956e9-60a4-4674-96f7-afafc7f43189

Avril told media members after the season that he was looking to cash in on his first chance at free agency, and mentioned the deals the Chiefs' Tamba Hali (five years, $60 million) and the Panthers' Charles Johnson (six years, $72 million) signed last year when asked what he might command.

Eat that crow. Don't call me out unless you know what the hell you're talking about. This has been posted on these boards numerous times, but somehow you're still too damn retarded to understand.

And I don't hate the guy. $8-9 million would be great. He's not going for it.

LOL!!! I'm the retarded one? You know he's not getting that money. I know he's not getting that money. HE knows he's not getting 12 mill a year. It's a bussiness, you toolbox. Of course he's coming in high, so the Lions come in low. What the fuck don't you get?

A deal will get done and it will be for around 7-10 TOPS. Take it to the bank, bud!!

Well, he could've simply asked me for a link. But instead, he called me out and accused me of making shit up and hating Avril. If he's gonna do that, its fine. No issue. He better be right, though.

As it turns out, he isn't.

Sure i am....you`ll see

Yea if this was any other sport I would say sit out. But in the NFL all it takes is one hit and you are done. I understand he wants to get paid, but the Lions have to be smart and not overspend on him when Stafford and Suh are due to get huge contracts.

Plus the lions have basically managed to sign everybody they wanted even after giving him the 10.6 mil tag. The Lions don't NEED Avril. I think he thought that they would bend and sign him to a long contract before FA so they had more cap room to sign other players, but that's not the case.

I think Mayhew has played this perfectly IMO

Yea if this was any other sport I would say sit out. But in the NFL all it takes is one hit and you are done. I understand he wants to get paid, but the Lions have to be smart and not overspend on him when Stafford and Suh are due to get huge contracts.

Plus the lions have basically managed to sign everybody they wanted even after giving him the 10.6 mil tag. The Lions don't NEED Avril. I think he thought that they would bend and sign him to a long contract before FA so they had more cap room to sign other players, but that's not the case.

I think Mayhew has played this perfectly IMO

Of course we don`t NEED him. Why would we? Double digit sacks, FF`s are like picking apples off a tree. It`s too easy.

Oh, and i forgot too, jackson and Young are fn studs on the DL...lol.

LOL!!! I'm the retarded one? You know he's not getting that money. I know he's not getting that money. HE knows he's not getting 12 mill a year. It's a bussiness, you toolbox. Of course he's coming in high, so the Lions come in low. What the fuck don't you get?

A deal will get done and it will be for around 7-10 TOPS. Take it to the bank, bud!!

No, bullshit. That has nothing to do with it. You said I was making up the fact that Avril wanted $12 million per year. I wasn't. I never, ever said he'd get it. I said he wants it. HE said he wants it. I didn't make it up. So, you were wrong.

I believe he'll settle for something around 9 million or so. But your comment had nothing to do with what he'd get. It was about what he WANTS.

No, bullshit. That has nothing to do with it. You said I was making up the fact that Avril wanted $12 million per year. I wasn't. I never, ever said he'd get it. I said he wants it. HE said he wants it. I didn't make it up. So, you were wrong.

I believe he'll settle for something around 9 million or so. But your comment had nothing to do with what he'd get. It was about what he WANTS.

Nah, i wasn`t wrong. he never said he WANTED 12 a year. He used 2 players as guidelines for his next contract. He knows he`s NOT getting that type of dough from ANY team. It`s all about business, bro....THINK.

Of course we don`t NEED him. Why would we? Double digit sacks, FF`s are like picking apples off a tree. It`s too easy.

Oh, and i forgot too, jackson and Young are fn studs on the DL...lol.

They might not be studs but neither is Avril. IMO, he doesn't do near last season's total without Suh. And I'm talking about 2-3 sacks a season. IMO, he looks so much better having Suh near him.

Just my opinion. I'd offer him 4 years, 23M 10 Guarantee.

Sure i am....you`ll see

I said Avril WANTS 12 million per year. You said I was making that up. I showed you a link where he said he wants 12 million per year.

So, you weren't wrong when you said I was making shit up? How is that?

I like Avril, don't get me wrong. If he was asking for a reasonable amount of money Id pay him. But I think the Lions would rather take depth than have one huge contract. The Red Wings had to make a similar decision a few years ago when they didn't resign Hossa due to his large salary, they decided to sign Franzen, Hudler and Filpulla instead.

Of course Avril is better than Young and Jackson, but I honestly don't think that the drop off would be that big if those two rotated to take his place. maybe I'm wrong and they would really suck given extra playing time..but who knows.

Nah, i wasn`t wrong. he never said he WANTED 12 a year. He used 2 players as guidelines for his next contract. He knows he`s NOT getting that type of dough from ANY team. It`s all about business, bro....THINK.

He could easily get that money. No doubt. Carolina payed it to a weaker player in Charles Johnson. Why not Avril? It only takes one stupid team...

They might not be studs but neither is Avril. IMO, he doesn't do near last season's total without Suh. And I'm talking about 2-3 sacks a season. IMO, he looks so much better having Suh near him.

Just my opinion. I'd offer him 4 years, 23M 10 Guarantee.

I won`t argue that Suh makes the whole line better. I`d be stupid to do so.

Still, explain how I was making shit up? Because that is what you called me out for.

I don't think he'll get it either. I never said that. But he clearly asked for it in public, whether it was genuine or not.

I said Avril WANTS 12 million per year. You said I was making that up. I showed you a link where he said he wants 12 million per year.

So, you weren't wrong when you said I was making shit up? How is that?

But he wasn`t QUOTED saying he wants 12 per. He used 2 players as guidelines who got PAID. Am i wrong?

Maybe i`m just stubborn...lol.

Both are correct and for the record I don't count Avril's comparison to other contracts as his asking price.

He has no leverage, he'll have to accept what the Lions offer or risk another one year deal.

He'll get around $9 million per year IMO.

But there's a reason a deal hasn't been done yet.

Back