Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

He had that opportunity a few years back when he re-signed with Detroit. He's not pulling anything douchy like that

Could be true. But ask yourself. ...if he's on the pats or broncos right now. Is he retiring? I seriously doubt it.

Could be true. But ask yourself. ...if he's on the pats or broncos right now. Is he retiring? I seriously doubt it.

Marshawn Lynch is on the Seahawks and is retiring at the same age as Calvin. I think the money is already in the bank and these guys want to live a healthy post football life.

Marshawn Lynch is on the Seahawks and is retiring at the same age as Calvin. I think the money is already in the bank and these guys want to live a healthy post football life.

If I'm 'Hughes here I'd say it's different with Lynch. He's been to SB's and has won.

Well, he'd have a couple of rings by now, maybe more if that was true. Horrible comparison, man lol

Its not a ridiculous argument....its on every single national radio show. "Calvin is retiring because hes on the lions and hes sick of losing" that's every national media outlets go to. Doesn't mean its true....but it part of the argument. And ya if he was having more success elsewhere I can easily see him still in the game. That GB hail mary stuck a fork in him.

Its not a ridiculous argument....its on every single national radio show. "Calvin is retiring because hes on the lions and hes sick of losing" that's every national media outlets go to. Doesn't mean its true....but it part of the argument. And ya if he was having more success elsewhere I can easily see him still in the game. That GB hail mary stuck a fork in him.

People that think along those lines are doing nothing more than guessing. There has been nothing said or released that lends any credence to that theory.

The FACTS are he told people BEFORE the season this would be his last year.

His body is not holding up. Playing for Detroit or for New England isn't going to change that fact. Also.....if he wanted out of Detroit......all he'd have to do is refuse to rework his contract. Lions aren't going to keep him at his current cap number.

The only people that actually believe he's trying to force his way out of Detroit are the people that need listeners, clicks or material to troll a message board!

People that think along those lines are doing nothing more than guessing. There has been nothing said or released that lends any credence to that theory.

The FACTS are he told people BEFORE the season this would be his last year.

His body is not holding up. Playing for Detroit or for New England isn't going to change that fact. Also.....if he wanted out of Detroit......all he'd have to do is refuse to rework his contract. Lions aren't going to keep him at his current cap number.

The only people that actually believe he's trying to force his way out of Detroit are the people that need listeners, clicks or material to troll a message board!

Oh I don't think hes trying to force his way anywhere. I think hes weighed the option of staying with a perennial loser and the risk/toll his body is taking.....and its just not woth it to him. I also think hes sees he just not himself anymore. Even if he was healthy....hes not as fast as he used to be....its not as easy for him to get open. Hes a 6'5'' possession WR at this point in his career. 85% of the routes he runs are 7 yards or less. You put 2 n 2 together and the decision was probably pretty easy other than his love for the game.

All guess work done by the media. Good for them!! It is a hot topic though and it's definitely worth talking about, but it's all a guess at this point. He had an outstanding career in Detroit. A HOF career actually. Unfortunately he played on a bad team for most of his career.
And I see the opposite of your success argument. IF he had more success, I could easily see him walking away because he would have 2-3 rings to his name with nothing else to prove.

Oh I don't think hes trying to force his way anywhere. I think hes weighed the option of staying with a perennial loser and the risk/toll his body is taking.....and its just not woth it to him. I also think hes sees he just not himself anymore. Even if he was healthy....hes not as fast as he used to be....its not as easy for him to get open. Hes a 6'5'' possession WR at this point in his career. 85% of the routes he runs are 7 yards or less. You put 2 n 2 together and the decision was probably pretty easy other than his love for the game.

But you just said that you thought he was forcing himself out of Detroit. Cmon man lol

I think hes forcing them to release him post retirement so he can join a winning organization. Hes sick of being a loser, playing for a loser.....just surrounded by losers. Everywhere....in every corner...losers here....losers there. Hes sick of it.

"I think hes forcing them to release him"

In quotes

Its part of the process i think. From what little i read....if he retired then detroit would be forced to release him to get more money off the books.

I don't think that's how it works. If he retires he automatically comes off the books like he was released. The Lions still hold his rights until his contract would expire.....so 4 more years. They do not have to release him.

I don't think that's how it works. If he retires he automatically comes off the books like he was released. The Lions still hold his rights until his contract would expire.....so 4 more years. They do not have to release him.

This. Lions own the rights to CJ. He retires and has a change of heart, either the Lions take him back or trade him. Unless they release him....which they won't do. And him retiring saves like 12MIL in cap space.

Its part of the process i think. From what little i read....if he retired then detroit would be forced to release him to get more money off the books.

When you say more money, do you mean more than the 12MIL?

It would be more harmful for the Lions to release Calvin than let him retire. Regardless the cap hit is the same for a retirement or release. The difference is with a retirement they can go after part of the signing bonus. If they recover it they get the amount they recovered added back to the cap they year it is recovered.

It would be more harmful for the Lions to release Calvin than let him retire. Regardless the cap hit is the same for a retirement or release. The difference is with a retirement they can go after part of the signing bonus. If they recover it they get the amount they recovered added back to the cap they year it is recovered.

Which is an additional 9.7 mil

Not sure what's protocol but make a decision already. Why take this long?

Back