Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

Not sure what's protocol but make a decision already. Why take this long?

To be honest, I have thought the same thing.....but it really makes no difference as long as the decision is before the start of free agency.

IMO....I think the Lions know he's done and SHOULD be (and probably are) going about their business knowing that. The need to bring in a playmaker at the WR position regardless if #81 returns or not. Either the draft or FA.

In the 2% chance CJ comes back.....GREAT.....but then the issue of his cap number comes into play and the fact that the Lions would have to either rework his deal or cut him.

I really do hope he returns, though. I think next year lines up really well for a playoff berth and possibly even a home playoff game. CJ deserves one.

1 year deal for $9M. Everyone wins!!!

To be honest, I have thought the same thing.....but it really makes no difference as long as the decision is before the start of free agency.

IMO....I think the Lions know he's done and SHOULD be (and probably are) going about their business knowing that. The need to bring in a playmaker at the WR position regardless if #81 returns or not. Either the draft or FA.

In the 2% chance CJ comes back.....GREAT.....but then the issue of his cap number comes into play and the fact that the Lions would have to either rework his deal or cut him.

I really do hope he returns, though. I think next year lines up really well for a playoff berth and possibly even a home playoff game. CJ deserves one.

Everyone except CJ. He's due for a $16M payday next year.

Everyone except CJ. He's due for a $16M payday next year.

He's not making $16M from any team.

IMO.....even as a free agent....with teams knowing he'd have 1....MAYBE 2 years left in him.....his market value is probably around $8M - $10M/year.

If it were JUST about $$ (which I don't think it is with Calvin) his best bet would be to wait and see which team with a shit ton of cap space needed to spend a lot of $$$ to hit the basement level the NFL has. He could probably make $15M for a season from a team needing to spend money. HELLO Jacksonville!!!

He's not making $16M from any team.

IMO.....even as a free agent....with teams knowing he'd have 1....MAYBE 2 years left in him.....his market value is probably around $8M - $10M/year.

If it were JUST about $$ (which I don't think it is with Calvin) his best bet would be to wait and see which team with a shit ton of cap space needed to spend a lot of $$$ to hit the basement level the NFL has. He could probably make $15M for a season from a team needing to spend money. HELLO Jacksonville!!!

If HE does absolutely nothing, he will be getting $16M from the Lions (unless they cut him).

Which they likely would.

So, again, he's not making $16M next year.....from any team.

like I said...him signing a $9M contract with the Lions doesn't make him a "winner"

If I were him and DIDN'T want to retire, I would force the Lions to pay me $16M or cut me.

like I said...him signing a $9M contract with the Lions doesn't make him a "winner"

If I were him and DIDN'T want to retire, I would force the Lions to pay me $16M or cut me.

If he doesn't retire (I think he will, mind you) I think he WANTS to play in Detroit. I know it's just my opinion.....I have zero evidence to support my claim......but I think he plays in Detroit or doesn't play ever again.

So a $9M/deal for a guy who isn't going to make much more than that ANYWHERE is a pretty good deal. The "everyone wins" comment wasn't meant to be taken that literally.

It's more of a personal thing in that I like to know stuff like this as quickly as possible. :nod: 1 year 9m would be great. I don't see it but i'd be happy with that.

Last edited:
It's more of a personal thing in that I like to know stuff like this as quickly as possible. :nod: 1 year 9m would be great. I don't see it but i'd be happy with that.

I hear ya.....I feel the same way.

Damn it CJ.....I NEED CLOSURE......hurry the fuck up!!!!!

If HE does absolutely nothing, he will be getting $16M from the Lions (unless they cut him).

This is what I thought I read somewhere...but I couldn't find it this morning. Which pretty much forces the lions to release him. Not sure how accurate it is. If he retires and they go after the 9.7 mil in bonuses youd have to weigh which is more beneficial to the team....retirement or release.

This is what I thought I read somewhere...but I couldn't find it this morning. Which pretty much forces the lions to release him. Not sure how accurate it is. If he retires and they go after the 9.7 mil in bonuses youd have to weigh which is more beneficial to the team....retirement or release.

that's the smart business move. Plus, if he has any second thoughts, he can go to a team that has a good chance at a SB.

Read on Freep that he's still undecided. If he really cares about the team, he'll make a decision before FA and the draft. He shouldn't rush an important decision like this, but there should still be some informal deadline in place.

Read on Freep that he's still undecided. If he really cares about the team, he'll make a decision before FA and the draft. He shouldn't rush an important decision like this, but there should still be some informal deadline in place.

Yep, as long as the decision happens before FA....I'm good waiting. Especially if it means he gives us 1 more year.

Yep, as long as the decision happens before FA....I'm good waiting. Especially if it means he gives us 1 more year.

My guess is he's slightly leaning towards coming back one more year since he hasn't given his final decision yet....or the Lions have asked him to take extra time to think about it before he officially announces his retirement. I think both sides actually have a time table in place after the initial meeting. He's just making sure he's mentally prepared with his decision either way. I think if he retires he'll announce it by the end of February, but certainly by the March free agency period. I can't see CJ wanting to drag this out of he is going to retire.

Back