Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

If HE does absolutely nothing, he will be getting $16M from the Lions (unless they cut him).

If he does nothing I'm thinking he would be considered the same as a hold-out and subject to a daily fine and forfeit a game check for each game he misses. So he would essentially cost himself money by "doing nothing"

If he does nothing I'm thinking he would be considered the same as a hold-out and subject to a daily fine and forfeit a game check for each game he misses. So he would essentially cost himself money by "doing nothing"

sorry...what I meant by do nothing is continue as a Lion under his current contract.

A chance Alshon Jeffery hits the open market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the last thing I want to do after getting out from under Calvin's enormous contract is give out the same contract (or close) to another WR. Tate was fine as our #1 before. Yes there will be dropoff without Calvin, but that's what happens when you lose a generational talent. I would much rather use this new money to shore up positions of greater need.

If Stafford is really the quality QB many think, he doesn't need the best WR tandem in the league, and certainly not more than he needs a better o-line.

I just thought of something. Is it possible that the players union asked Calvin to hold off on the retirement so any WRs that are franchised can use his salary as part of the average?

WR Will Fuller kills it in the 40 with a 4.33. Drawing Emmanuel Sanders comparisons.

He is playing but not for Lions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nothing to see here......a reporter looking to get clicks just creates an article stating basic facts (yes, its better for ANY PLAYER to retire a FA) and attaching CJ's name to it.

From the article

"A resolution to Megatron?s situation is likely to come by March 9. If he retires or the Lions release him by that date, they?ll open up over $11MM in cap space for 2016. Otherwise, Johnson?s $15.95MM base salary and $24MM-plus cap number will go on the team?s books this year."

A few more weeks?? Come on Calvin. You've had plenty of time. You've been thinking about this probably since the last of this past season.

A few more weeks?? Come on Calvin. You've had plenty of time. You've been thinking about this probably since the last of this past season.

trying to get released....its really the only reason you wait this long. Especially since he told everyone a year ago.

trying to get released....its really the only reason you wait this long. Especially since he told everyone a year ago.

He wants to get released and go play for a team like the Pats. He wants a chance to play for a SB title and doesnt feel like the Lions are there.

He wants to get released and go play for a team like the Pats. He wants a chance to play for a SB title and doesnt feel like the Lions are there.

If that is the case, he would not be wrong. The Lions aren't there.

The guy has been a class act. He's played through the winless season. He's played through some pretty lean years. And he's never once badmouthed the organization, even now.

However, all he would need to do is be clear and say "Hey, I want to play, but I want to play for a legit contender" and Bob Quinn could easily trade him to New England, getting a little something back for the Lions and sending him where he wants to be on a restructured deal.

Back