Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

CDC Estimated Numbers: October, 2019 to March 28, 2020

Illnesses: 33 to 55 million (10,091/100,000) (low numbers factored)
Medical visits: 18 to 26 million (5,504/100,000)
Hospitalizations: 400 to 730 thousand (122/100,000)
Deaths: 23 to 65 thousand (7.03/100,000)

This is for influenza, and these numbers have been constant for years.

COVID-19: January 20, 2020 to March 28, 2020
Illnesses: 374,329 (114/100,000)
Hospitalizations: 4.6/100,000 (COVID.NET ... not all of US is included, only 10% of population, NYC is 7.6/100,000)
Deaths: 12,064 (3.68/100,000)

What stands out to me is the ratio of illnesses to deaths with COVID vs. flu.

COVID = 3%
FLU = .0006% (six ten-thousandths)

I clicked on your influenza link. It said 24K deaths and 39M cases (both low end figures) which comes to 0.062%

Also, my guess is that the cases of COVID are at least doubled. In the past I have read that the actual cases (which would include people with very minor symptoms to no symptoms at all) could be 10:1 for every documented case.

Last edited:
I clicked on your influenza link. It said 24K deaths and 39M cases (both low end figures) which comes to 0.062%

Forgot to move the decimals.

Also, my guess is that the cases of COVID are at least doubled. In the past I have read that the actual cases (which would include people with very minor symptoms to no symptoms at all) could be 10:1 for every documented case.

Link?

CDC Estimated Numbers: October, 2019 to March 28, 2020

Illnesses: 39 to 55 million (11,926/100,000) (low numbers factored) [EDITED]
Medical visits: 18 to 26 million (5,504/100,000)
Hospitalizations: 400 to 730 thousand (122/100,000)
Deaths: 24 to 65 thousand (7.33/100,000) [EDITED]

This is for influenza, and these numbers have been constant for years.

COVID-19: January 20, 2020 to March 28, 2020
Illnesses: 374,329 (114/100,000)
Hospitalizations: 4.6/100,000 (COVID.NET ... not all of US is included, only 10% of population, NYC is 7.6/100,000)
Deaths: 12,064 (3.68/100,000)

What stands out to me is the ratio of illnesses to deaths with COVID vs. flu.

COVID = 3%
FLU = .06% (EDIT]

Also the CDC's directives on completing death certificates is "interesting" LINKO
"In cases where a definite diagnosis of COVID–19 cannot
be made, but it is suspected or likely (e.g., the circumstances
are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty), it
is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate as
“probable” or “presumed.” In these instances, certifiers should
use their best clinical judgement in determining if a COVID–19
infection was likely.
However, please note that testing for
COVID–19 should be conducted whenever possible."​
If you are relying on the major media to report this event objectively, you are delusional. Be your own journalists on this one.

Agreed 100% - don't trust, verify. I would also add that the death toll is not only possibly overstated by the issue you highlighted but also by people with Covid dying from something else being counted as covid deaths. I read a piece, can’t find it now, that indicated seriously ill, dying people who contracted covid are being counted as Covid caused deaths when it’s unclear it had an impact. It wasn’t the major point of the piece and it is anecdotal so just so I’m clear, I’m not making any claims about how big of an issue it is, just that it could be lead to the numbers being overstated.

Last edited:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...itmers-expanded-coronavirus-order/5125426002/

It's getting very draconian around here. Where is your line? None at all? if they tell ya to dig a pit and toss yourself in it you going to do that to.

Also more tomorrows news today for ya champ.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=61362

this lady sounds like a cunt

"Terressa Carson, a resident of southeastern Clare County, north of Mt. Pleasant, said she likes the fact that the order would prohibit people from metro Detroit, where the virus is infecting people in large numbers, from staying at cottages in her area, where there are few cases.

"Our hospitals are ill-equipped to handle a surge," Carson said.

However, Carson is angry over the closure of nurseries and garden centers. She said it is time for her to plant her peas, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots ? food that she and her family will eat all winter. She can't plant if those outlets are closed, she said."

So it's OK for people that work at nurseries and garden centers to risk their health so she can plant her fucking garden, but if I own a cottage in Traverse city I can't go up there to enjoy it. Fuck her.

I don?t see how they can prevent a family who?s been sheltering at home at their home in the Detroit area from traveling to a home they own elsewhere and continuing to shelter at home there.

I think rentals are closed down in vacation areas.

I think this is all getting ridiculous. I might just have to start wearing a dr. plague bird mask now if people want to keep being such panic'd fear mongers I'm sure I can fear monger with the best of them if I really wanted to.

I don?t see how they can prevent a family who?s been sheltering at home at their home in the Detroit area from traveling to a home they own elsewhere and continuing to shelter at home there.

I think rentals are closed down in vacation areas.

This says you can go to your own property. That makes more sense.

I think this is all getting ridiculous. I might just have to start wearing a dr. plague bird mask now if people want to keep being such panic'd fear mongers I'm sure I can fear monger with the best of them if I really wanted to.

You were posting it at almost the same time I was posting my last post before this. Otherwise I would have quoted you.

Again, the link I posted says you CAN go from your own property to your own property.

You were posting it at almost the same time I was posting my last post before this. Otherwise I would have quoted you.

Again, the link I posted says you CAN go from your own property to your own property.

I highly doubt think there will end up being any baseball season this year at all. too many people just keep accepting the doubling down of the lock down. :-(

I highly doubt think there will end up being any baseball season this year at all. too many people just keep accepting the doubling down of the lock down. :-(

We’ll see.

The talk is of an abbreviated season restricted to AZ with no fans.

There is speculation that the infection is vastly more widespread than it had been thought and peoples own systems just developed an immunity much more easily then would have been thought, in most cases.

The medical community should have a better idea of this within a month or two

EDIT: Also we don’t know how effective effective remedies like chloroquine and antibody plasma for those with serious illnesses are going to be - it will take a little use to find out.

Last edited:
We?ll see.

The talk is of an abbreviated season restricted to AZ with no fans.

There is speculation that the infection is vastly more widespread than it had been thought and peoples own systems just developed an immunity much more easily then would have been thought, in most cases.

The medical community should have a better idea of this within a month or two

EDIT: Also we don?t know how effective effective remedies like chloroquine and antibody plasma for those with serious illnesses are going to be - it will take a little use to find out.

I?ll likely not follow it under those conditions. That?ll be the end of the HOF thread for me.

Cut and paste from another site

She could have said:

Stay home longer and continue to be safe.

If you’ve quarantined for 3 weeks and are symptom free go visit your lake house. Buy groceries from the local small business grocery and liquor store. Fish from the dock. They have been waiting all season for your return but exercise social distancing.

But she didn’t.

She could have said:

Plant a garden! Michiganders get outside and work in your yard. Order supplies to be delivered from your local nursery and spend some money there. They are stocked and ready for you!

But she didn’t.

She could have said:

Take this time to work on a home project. Call your local hardware store and have them mix a gallon of paint. Pay over the phone, use social distance to pick it up.

But she didn’t.

She could have said:

Restaurant owners, reopen but at half capacity. You can only seat every other table and wait staff must wear masks. We want you to survive so let’s use common sense and appropriate social measures.

But she didn’t.

She could have said:

Landscapers who staved all winter for lack of snow - get to work! Book your jobs over the phone. Accept payment via cash apps. Work single crew jobs or small crews where you can keep your distance. Let’s work with local box box stores to have supplies delivered or waiting for you to pick up. We know you’re cash based and aid hasn’t come yet. Be safe but work!

But she didn’t.

She could have said:

Go back to your place of worship! Sit one family per pew, and use every other pew. Practice social distancing but go celebrate Passover and Easter.

But she didn’t.

Walmart gonna Walmart. Costco gonna Costco. Target gonna Target, but our small business owners are drowning and she tossed them a cement block instead of a lifeline.

When will people realize she doesn’t want to help us. She wants us so broke and so hungry and so desperate and so afraid that we turn in our own neighbors, we hide in fear, we stay glued to the fear mongering news, we deplete anything we have saved and when it’s all gone and we are desperate and broken and depressed we turn to the government to save us.

She could have said and done a lot, but she didn’t.

Last edited:
Tigermud #215

Just about everything in this post, except for congregating in places of worship and dining in is, I?m pretty sure, an exempt essential service here in
SoCal.

EDIT:

From the OC Register.

Scroll down to ?What?s Closed.?

It?s fairly limited here in Cali.

I can go buy seeds and gardening equipment.

I owned and operated a distribution arm for a charity fundraising organization (I definitely was not a not for profit myself) and the guy in my supply chain, who has always pissed me off, ? I just finally got fed up at him and closed my business and opened a different distribution business of essential services - really it was a month before anybody, including me, saw the sea change coming in the economy. My timing couldn?t have been better; it was just before the shutdown happened. My guess is that little fucker is homeless.

When I?m out on deliveries I see wet backs driving around in their trucks with their lawn care equipment; I imagine they?re going to jobs that are considered essential.

Construction is still going on, that?s classified as essential, I just did a walk-through on a job where they fixed our elevator in our building everybody had to wear masks. That was just this morning.

Plumbers and carpenters and electricians and shit can still operate.

Are you sure all those things that I just told you are going on in California are restricted in Michigan?

Last edited:
Tigermud #215

Just about everything in this post, except for congregating in places of worship and dining in is, I?m pretty sure, an exempt social service here in
SoCal.

God speed tinsel. Patience is going to start running out next week. Cure is worse than the disease

US Postal Service warns Congress it could become insolvent amid coronavirus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/politics/postal-service-congress-help/index.html

I love the one of the first lines of the article.

"The Postal Service was technically insolvent to begin with, but the pandemic has completely changed the environment here. The mail volume drop is catastrophic," said Rep. Gerry Connolly, a Virginia Democrat and the chairman of the oversight subcommittee that oversees the USPS.

The post office needs an overhaul. They are like Dunder Mifflen Paper Co. As Michael Scott said "limitless paper in a paperless world"

Public libraries are another thing that need to go away. Our county has a $47M budget for the public libraries. Every time I go by our local library there MIGHT be one car in the parking lot...and it's probably the librarian's car. Great use of taxpayer money.

Back