Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

OK, back to the heavier issue between Trump and Pelosi. Do you think Pelosi will back off if pressed on the rudeness of the comment, or is this more of a 'in for a penny, in for a pound' situation?

Does anyone think Pelosi will be pressed on the rudeness of the comment by anyone other than Fox? Where ?pressing? means asked then asked at least one follow-up question challenging whatever excuse she gives.

Hopefully this will just melt away and illustrate that what Pelosi thinks and says is inconsequential. She, with the stockpile of exotic pints of ice cream in her Sub-Zero/Wolf refrigerator. The woman can barely direct words out of her head. It's like they are knocking around in her head and careening off the walls of her mouth before they finally stumble into our auditory range.

I saw that about her upscale refrigerator and fat-cat ice cream.

Hopefully this will just melt away and illustrate that what Pelosi thinks and says is inconsequential. She, with the stockpile of exotic pints of ice cream in her Sub-Zero/Wolf refrigerator. The woman can barely direct words out of her head. It's like they are knocking around in her head and careening off the walls of her mouth before they finally stumble into our auditory range.

Can't remember who said it - it was more than 10 years ago but some radio personality asked how it was possible to fit so much stupid into such a small head.

Twin sub-zero refrigerators (~$24k worth) stuffed w/ $14/pint ice cream. Not a good look for a normally relatable, champion of working men and women.

Twin sub-zero refrigerators (~$24k worth) stuffed w/ $14/pint ice cream. Not a good look for a normally relatable, champion of working men and women.

I know right!

Whats next, having gold-plated toilets and bidets in your penthouse apartment?

I know right!

Whats next, having gold-plated toilets and bidets in your penthouse apartment?

Don’t recall Trump doing a late-night interview while taking a dump on a gold plated toilet during an economic catastrophe and claiming to be fighting for ordinary Americans while pushing legislation that gives government handouts to illegal aliens, grants amnesty to all, automatically extends work visas and INCREASES worker visa quotas AND gives a MASSIVE tax break to the wealthiest Democrats in America all while those ordinary Americans are losing jobs by the millions. But Trump is rich too, so it’s totally the same thing, thanks for pointing that out.

Don?t recall Trump doing a late-night interview while taking a dump on a gold plated toilet during an economic catastrophe and claiming to be fighting for ordinary Americans while pushing legislation that gives government handouts to illegal aliens, grants amnesty to all, automatically extends work visas and INCREASES worker visa quotas AND gives a MASSIVE tax break to the wealthiest Democrats in America all while those ordinary Americans are losing jobs by the millions. But Trump is rich too, so it?s totally the same thing, thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, this is totally one of those "it's okay for my guy, but nobody else" situations. The fact you typed out that much text as an excuse pretty much proves my point.

Yes, this is totally one of those "it's okay for my guy, but nobody else" situations. The fact you typed out that much text as an excuse pretty much proves my point.

No, it’s not “one of those” at all. You’re engaging in whataboutism and you’re missing the point - again. It’s ok for both of them to buy whatever they want with their extreme wealth. It’s not ok for Pelosi to claim she is fighting for working families then back a piece of legislation that screws them more than anything brought before congress in ages. It’s not OK for the Dems to mischaracterize Trumps tax reform as a give away to the wealthy to score political points then pass a bill that gives massive tax breaks exclusively to the wealthy in Democratic states.

And while it’s perfectly ok for her to own expensive things, it is a bad look for her to stand in front of her refrigerators that cost more than a lot of her voters make in a year (when they had jobs) and show off her ice cream stockpile that costs more than those people get in unemployment checks. If trump went on TV and showed off his golden crapper while millions of Americans were losing their jobs, I’d have said the same thing. If it wasn’t a bad look, why were all of her future quarantine broadcasts shot from an empty corner in her massive mansion paid for by decades of legal insider trading? Actually, when you realize that, it’s probably not ok that she is as wealthy as she is when normal people would go to jail for what she did to make shitloads of money.

She’s a scumbag of the highest order and you’re a massive hypocrite for defending her.

Last edited:
No, it?s not ?one of those? at all. You?re engaging in whataboutism and you?re missing the point - again. It?s ok for both of them to buy whatever they want with their extreme wealth. It?s not ok for Pelosi to claim she is fighting for working families then back a piece of legislation that screws them more than anything brought before congress in ages. It?s not OK for the Dems to mischaracterize Trumps tax reform as a give away to the wealthy to score political points then pass a bill that gives massive tax breaks exclusively to the wealthy in Democratic states.

And while it?s ok for her to own those refrigerators, it is a bad look for her to stand in front of her refrigerators that cost more than a lot of her voters make in a year (when they had jobs) and show off her ice cream stockpile that costs more than those people get in unemployment checks. If trump went on TV and showed off his golden crapper while millions of Americans were losing their jobs, I?d have said the same thing. If it wasn?t, when were all of her future quarantine broadcasts shot from an empty corner in her massive mansion paid for by decades of legal insider trading? Actually, when you realize that, it?s probably not ok that she is as wealthy as she is when normal people would go to jail for what she did to make shitloads of money.

She?s a scumbag of the highest order and you?re a massive hypocrite for defending her.

Strawman.

Did not defend her, would not defend her. I was simply pointing out that if you bag on her for her fancy freezers full of whogivesafuck, I can also bag on Trump for pissing into gold plated plumbing.

Make up some more shit

Strawman.

Did not defend her, would not defend her. I was simply pointing out that if you bag on her for her fancy freezers full of whogivesafuck, I can also bag on Trump for pissing into gold plated plumbing.

Make up some more shit

nope, you defended her and the fact that you only wrote a few sentences about it pretty much proves it.

Seriously though, I wasn’t aware of the rule that says the more facts you present, the more you prove the other guys point. Is that in the same manual where you got the rules about waiting too long to respond and editing posts means the other guys is right? If not it should be because it’s no less stupid.

Last edited:
This article (linked below) spends a lot of text conveying an anecdote, however, if you ctrl-f and search for 'Other reasoning is based on data.' There's some discussion on how flu death statistics are calculated almost the same way covid 19 deaths are (with the exception of the prevalence of cases where a lack of available covid testing played a role.) The CDC reported flu death count is an estimate, "modeled on official flu deaths reported, deaths from flu-like causes reported, and what we know about flu epidemiology."

It also explains that the CDC has their regular way of doing things, which is slow and lags behind what's going on today and a fast count for trying to keep up to speed with things. 2009 H1N1 death stats were finalized in 2011.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

Last edited:
This article (linked below) spends a lot of text conveying an anecdote, however, if you ctrl-f and search for 'Other reasoning is based on data.' There's some discussion on how flu death statistics are calculated almost the same way covid 19 deaths are (with the exception of the prevalence of cases where a lack of available covid testing played a role.) The CDC reported flu death count is an estimate, "modeled on official flu deaths reported, deaths from flu-like causes reported, and what we know about flu epidemiology."

It also explains that the CDC has their regular way of doing things, which is slow and lags behind what's going on today and a fast count for trying to keep up to speed with things. 2009 H1N1 death stats were finalized in 2011.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

"The Uncounted Dead" holds up one example of a one unhealthy person who was told by his doctor to get tested for Coronavirus and he refused as evidence that deaths are underreported? When there is already a 30,000-death discrepancy between provisional and reported deaths?

It's a flimsy hook upon which to hang a fireman's hat. A few observations:

From the article:

"Instead, because he didn’t die at a hospital and because this was at the beginning of the pandemic, when guidelines were rapidly changing…"

The new ICD Code Alert No. 2 for COVID-19 was released on March 24, and Bob died on March 29th. The new codes were to be implemented "immediately." This undercuts the claim above that is either sloppy journalism or deliberate misrepresentation. Maybe just one primary physician's oversight.

Oddly, but not surprisingly, none of the "experts" who say that COVID-19 deaths are underreported are on the record in this article. There is no estimate on the number of underreported Coronavirus deaths. Just that "some people who likely died from COVID-19 aren’t included in the final numbers." as a subhead.

This is an sensationalized op-ed piece, disguised as fact … the fulcrum being the flu death comparisons to COVID-19. The co-called "gotcha" moment for us who ask questions.

"Basically," says the article, "if you think COVID-19 deaths are being inflated, then you shouldn’t trust annual flu death counts, either. Or a whole host of other death counts. The only reason to really think that COVID-19 death counts are less trustworthy at this point is that the flu is politically neutral while the new coronavirus is not."

Except, as Gulo states himself, that flu deaths are clearly listed as "estimates" by the CDC, where the COVID casualties are listed as "deaths" with disclaimers to qualify them. The word "estimates" is not used in any way in conjunction with Coronavirus deaths. So that torpedoes that above claim directly in the magazine.

And contradicts itself, IMO: "public health officials know that a straight count of formally diagnosed flu deaths would be an undercount of actual flu deaths."

Which is why the CDC errs on the side of "probable cause" … "COVID-19 deaths are identified using a new ICD–10 code. When COVID-19 is reported as a cause of death – or when it is listed as a “probable” or “presumed” cause — the death is coded as U07.1. This can include cases with or without laboratory confirmation. "

Here's a common tactic of media -- assume we are stupid and uninformed. Which we are.

"It’s easy to get confused and assume that the death count you’ve just seen in the newspaper has suddenly been cut in half."

This brand of editorializing is everything that is wrong with the media -- and with those who accept what it is reporting as accurate. It took me all of two minutes to read the associated disclaimers that differentiated provisional deaths from the reported deaths. This piece says the provisional (fast) count is "weeks behind" … when it is 1 to 8 weeks behind, depending on many variables, according to CDC. "one to eight weeks behind" is only three more words, in an article fraught with them, apparently, include for clarity.

I will credit the piece for offering the links to which the informed and interested can read the data for themselves.

Only more evidence to conclude that I am my own best journalist and researcher.

Last edited:
The entire point of this:

"This article (linked below) spends a lot of text conveying an anecdote, however, if you ctrl-f and search for 'Other reasoning is based on data.' There's some discussion on how flu death statistics are calculated..."

was to make it clear that I wasn't hanging anything on the anecdote half of the article and instead wanted to draw attention to the part about how flu and covid deaths are calculated. The point of offering a crtl-f suggestion was to enable skipping that anecdote entirely.

I don't think they are hanging stats on it either. Anecdotes are effective ways of conveying examples. Understanding how the system works is different from reporting on the resulting stats.

That being said, if you want to criticize the press or the CDC for being lazy with their clarification of how everything is an estimate, it seems like par for the course to me. It never crossed my mind that anyone might think the covid 19 death count was more than an estimate and outside of academic papers and legal contracts, you might sometimes get that level of technical description, but you shouldn't count on it.

I meant posting it and saying it was a bad idea to have the block party - that's totally super racist.

I've missed a lot of posts. Has something happened in the last year to reignite your racism card thing, or are you still carrying on from what seems like years ago?

That being said, if you want to criticize the press or the CDC for being lazy with their clarification of how everything is an estimate, it seems like par for the course to me. It never crossed my mind that anyone might think the covid 19 death count was more than an estimate and outside of academic papers and legal contracts, you might sometimes get that level of technical description, but you shouldn't count on it.

It's hard to consider them estimates when they are reporting deaths down to the single digit.

Back