Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

He does look kinda like Constantine.

For some reason people just don’t seem to remember Constantine so much.

Don’t really know why that would be.

I have no memory of him at all but he gave my kindergartner nightmares for at least a week. And it’s my fault - I just put on Muppets Most Wanted and left the room. I had no idea the trauma I was putting the poor kid through.

Edit: just to be clear, I’m talking about Constantine, not Bill Gates. But come to think of it, I’ll probably try to keep her from seeing Bill Gates’ image until she’s in 3rd or 4th grade.

Last edited:
Coronavirus survival rate for healthy people under 75 and under is > 99%. Accounting for all health conditions, it's > 92% (> 98% for people 65 and under).

Link

Last edited:
Coronavirus survival rate for healthy people under 75 and under is > 99%. Accounting for all health conditions, it's > 92% (> 98% for people 65 and under).

Link
Without clicking the link, does it use a definition of 'healthy' that only covers like half or 2/3rds the population?

To me, stats like this appear to be an effort to ignore the 125,000 that have died.

Last edited:
Without clicking the link, does it use a definition of 'healthy' that only covers like half or 2/3rds the population?

To me, stats like this appear to be an effort to ignore the 125,000 that have died.

40% nursing homes from 5 combined states. :-( those governors culled the elderly.

"Data sources: WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC, DXY, 1point3acres, Worldometers.info, BNO, state and national government health departments, and local media reports."

CDC COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios

Scroll to bottom of page 4. Illustrates the CDC's own microscopic fatality percentages from COVID-19, based on R0 projections.

I think it focuses more on the circumstance of their dying.

"Data sources: WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC, DXY, 1point3acres, Worldometers.info, BNO, state and national government health departments, and local media reports."

CDC COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios

Scroll to bottom of page 4. Illustrates the CDC's own microscopic fatality percentages from COVID-19, based on R0 projections.

I think it focuses more on the circumstance of their dying.

It's still death in excess of what would have happened without covid worded to sound like it's less significant, so what's the difference? Are we blaming the dead now? "Death rates are high in America because we have so many with underlying conditions"? Without more context, this is some dark stuff. Or is this denying that the dead actually died? The spike in deaths is fake news?

Based on today's global population and the number of casualties of WWII, if something with the same amount of killing happened today, 99% of us would survive.

Last edited:
It's still death in excess of what would have happened without covid worded to sound like it's less significant, so what's the difference? Are we blaming the dead now? "Death rates are high in America because we have so many with underlying conditions"? Without more context, this is some dark stuff. Or is this denying that the dead actually died? The spike in deaths is fake news?

I'm giving you the links to read so you can draw your own conclusions. The rest of the questions you are asking are own and I'll not address them.

My hope is that all the lunacy that has transpired in the last two months and that will continue indefinitely illustrates that it has had minimal effects on spreading CV19.

I definitely think that the measures to prevent the spread are capricious and based on nothing whatsoever but herd mentality and the propensity for government to exert its authority. The numbers that the CDC published tell me that we're being way too draconian in limiting access to businesses, schools, et. al.

It will soon all culminate in a society that is afraid to interact as we should. That's happening already, on many levels.

EDIT: Knowing the extent of co-morbidity: It can also help to protect the vulnerable without restricting the lives of the healthy. Science, right?

Last edited:
I'm giving you the links to read so you can draw your own conclusions. The rest of the questions you are asking are own and I'll not address them.

My hope is that all the lunacy that has transpired in the last two months and that will continue indefinitely illustrates that it has had minimal effects on spreading CV19.

I definitely think that the measures to prevent the spread are capricious and based on nothing whatsoever but herd mentality and the propensity for government to exert its authority. The numbers that the CDC published tell me that we're being way too draconian in limiting access to businesses, schools, et. al.

It will soon all culminate in a society that is afraid to interact as we should. That's happening already, on many levels.

If you want to argue which measure are too draconian and how important business is, then great, discuss that. But this trivializing of the lives being lost (on a wider scale through social media) is harmful, because the measures that don't harm the economy but would help, specifically wearing masks, is being shrugged off by people that are all too eager to hear that it's only a small amount of death.

Last edited:
If you want to argue which measure are too draconian and how important business is, then great, discuss that. But this trivializing of the lives being lost (on a wider scale through social media) is harmful, because the measures that don't harm the economy but would help, specifically wearing masks, is being shrugged off by people that are all too eager to hear that it's only a small amount of death.

I'll not be accused of "trivializing" these lives lost. Thank you. And I'll also not forget that the country that caused this virus considers live as wholly expendable. Same with the Supreme Court of the United States.

Identifying that the CDC projects that the fatality rate in the most likely scenario is "Overall: 0.004" (as of 4-29) is to demonstrate that this is not the pandemic people were projecting in March. But this "new information" is somehow not relevant in regard to "returning to normal" ? which will never happen, because it never does.

As for masks: The WHO itself offered information on the kind of homemade masks that are "most-effective"...

The WHO guidance says people can make their own three-layer masks by using an inner layer of an absorbent material, such as cotton or cotton blends; a middle layer made of a non-woven material polypropylene or cotton to enhance filtration of droplets; and an outer layer of a non-absorbent material such polypropylene, polyester, or their blends. Stretchy, porous materials should be avoided.​

"WHO" do you see wearing these?

?The use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide an adequate level of protection or source control, and other personal and community level measures should also be adopted to suppress transmission of respiratory viruses,? the WHO said.​

There is a lot of room for interpretation here, in regard to the effectiveness of masks and the "community level" (sic) measures. I doubt that mass-protests, statue razing, and riots are recommended.

Words matter. You can say technically the same thing two different ways and people get wildly different things out of it. It's not hypothetical, you go outside and some take recommendations seriously, some don't, and some are opposed to people taking precautions.

When a person uses the language people point to to justify not wearing masks even though it's one of the best tools we have to save lives without shutting everything down, and there's a real-world consequence of large numbers of people not taking it seriously, how should I describe that?

do we even know if people in nursing homes are dying at a higher rate than normal?

I did a google search and this is the only study that I found.

https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6963-11-86/tables/1

If they aren't, then covid is more dangerous than has been reported or there's something else killing people. Total deaths are up. Many of the deaths attributed to covid are from nursing homes. If that's an error and nursing homes have actually been normal, then you have to look outside of nursing homes to explain the overall increase in deaths.

Words matter. You can say technically the same thing two different ways and people get wildly different things out of it. It's not hypothetical, you go outside and some take recommendations seriously, some don't, and some are opposed to people taking precautions.

When a person uses the language people point to to justify not wearing masks even though it's one of the best tools we have to save lives without shutting everything down, and there's a real-world consequence of large numbers of people not taking it seriously, how should I describe that?

you can start by holding those idiots responsible for their actions and not blaming the person or people who are being misinterpreted by those idiots.

Last edited:
because I don't think people should be held responsible for others misinterpreting what they're saying, particularly if they're not being intentionally vague or misleading.
People may or may not be using it with intention, but a lot of language is pushed out there with intention. I've added qualifiers and outs as I've objected to this anti-mask, minimize the thread of covid -language.

On this you and I are in 100% agreement, and I doubt anyone here would argue.

Every death from Covid is a death in excess of what would have happened without Covid. 🦄

Back