Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

Words matter. You can say technically the same thing two different ways and people get wildly different things out of it. It's not hypothetical, you go outside and some take recommendations seriously, some don't, and some are opposed to people taking precautions.

My strategy is to distance and to stay clean. So far, it's working.

When a person uses the language people point to to justify not wearing masks even though it's one of the best tools we have to save lives without shutting everything down, and there's a real-world consequence of large numbers of people not taking it seriously, how should I describe that?

This is the brand of propaganda that makes me cringe, and it contradicts what this WHO official said on June 8:

Maria Van Kerkhove, the World Health Organization?s (WHO) technical lead for COVID-19, said at a press briefing on June 8 that asymptomatic transmission appears to be ?very rare.? Her statement came just days after the organization directed healthy people living in areas with widespread community transmission to wear fabric face masks in public to help contain the advance of the disease.​

"Wait!" says Fauci ( a guy I trust in no way whatsoever) "The WHO is wrong! There is a difference between "asymptomatic" and "pre-symptomatic" in the most convoluted example of triple-master speak I've read in a while. Genius in its convolution. It's difficult to be this vague and it takes extraordinary skill and deftness.

When all the experts keep changing their story, why are they called "experts?"

My strategy is to distance and to stay clean. So far, it's working.

This is the brand of propaganda that makes me cringe, and it contradicts what this WHO official said on June 8:
Maria Van Kerkhove, the World Health Organization?s (WHO) technical lead for COVID-19, said at a press briefing on June 8 that asymptomatic transmission appears to be ?very rare.? Her statement came just days after the organization directed healthy people living in areas with widespread community transmission to wear fabric face masks in public to help contain the advance of the disease.​
"Wait!" says Fauci ( a guy I trust in no way whatsoever) "The WHO is wrong! There is a difference between "asymptomatic" and "pre-symptomatic" in the most convoluted example of triple-master speak I've read in a while. Genius in its convolution. It's difficult to be this vague and it takes extraordinary skill and deftness.

When all the experts keep changing their story, why are they called "experts?"

I don't see how any of that means we should be characterizing this as "microscopic fatality levels".

Words matter. You can say technically the same thing two different ways and people get wildly different things out of it. It's not hypothetical, you go outside and some take recommendations seriously, some don't, and some are opposed to people taking precautions.

When a person uses the language people point to to justify not wearing masks even though it's one of the best tools we have to save lives without shutting everything down, and there's a real-world consequence of large numbers of people not taking it seriously, how should I describe that?

This is not at all a settled fact.

On this you and I are in 100% agreement, and I doubt anyone here would argue.

Every death from Covid is a death in excess of what would have happened without Covid. ��

so long as it is in fact, a death from covid. My wife showed me a piece from a nurse who came up from Florida to work in some state hospital in long island - in/near the epicentre of COVID on the east coast. She was saying that people who came in complaining of covid like symptoms were automatically put on respirators and that in several cases the ventilators actually killed people who didn't need to be on them. I'll post it if I can find it.

do we even know if people in nursing homes are dying at a higher rate than normal?

I did a google search and this is the only study that I found.

https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6963-11-86/tables/1

They?re not.

The nursing home death rate remains 100%.

Obviously some are not dead yet, but doing a statistical data analysis of historic nursing home death rates eventually they all will be, and we can project the likelihood of that at 100%.

They?re not.

The nursing home death rate remains 100%.

Obviously some are not dead yet, but doing a statistical data analysis of historic nursing home death rates eventually they all will be, and we can project the likelihood of that at 100%.

Not necessarily all of them. If they can vote and receive checks...

Correct. It's not proven.

That doesn't mean it's not one of our best options right now. We're making decisions with the information and options we have. Or at least we should be.

It also means we don?t know that it is.

Anyways, I?m not an anti-mask militant.

I put one on when I go inside a public place.

When I?m out and about I have one and I put it on if I get near someone.

But I never wear it when I?m outside, not near someone.

That?s absurd.

I don't see how any of that means we should be characterizing this as "microscopic fatality levels".

"microscopic fatality percentages" was the phrase I used. Words do matter, as you said.

Last edited:
so long as it is in fact, a death from covid. My wife showed me a piece from a nurse who came up from Florida to work in some state hospital in long island - in/near the epicentre of COVID on the east coast. She was saying that people who came in complaining of covid like symptoms were automatically put on respirators and that in several cases the ventilators actually killed people who didn't need to be on them. I'll post it if I can find it.

Did you like my unicorn emoji?

I was trying to post one farting a rainbow; I couldn?t figure out how, but I can do all three in a row, I just realized:

🦄 💨 🌈

Did you like my unicorn emoji?

I was trying to post one farting a rainbow; I couldn?t figure out how, but I can do all three in a row, I just realized:

I do now that I'm aware of it.

Can you flip the middle one around and swap the unicorn with the rainbow?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/europe/european-union-travel-us-graphic-intl/index.html

MXChzQMPPPDAAw888MADDzzwwAMPXzBwoc0DDzzwwAMPPPDAAw888MADD18wcKHNAw888MADDzzwwAMPPPDAAw9fMHChzQMPPPDAAw888MADDzzwwAMPXzBwoc0DDzzwwAMPPPDAAw888MADD18wcKHNAw888MADDzzwwAMPPPDAAw9fMHChzQMPPPDAAw888MADDzzwwAMPXzD8H+zl1moi0l4UAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
I'd like to just post the graphic rather than the story. EU vs. US new cases per day figure.

Back