Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fielder for Kinsler trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
8:23pm: Detroit will be sending $30MM to Texas, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. With that cash, Texas will effectively be paying Fielder $138MM over seven years.

I have been saying for a few weeks now IF we was able to move Fielder the likely destination was to Texas. The moves likely will not stop now though as I am sure there is another move to follow this one very soon.

The bad thing about this though is we are back at least at the moment to having only Victor protecting Miggy and will this also mean Miggy might be moved back to the 4 hole in the lineup?

Victor is a better hitter than Prince, so I'm quite thrilled he'll be hitting behind miggy.

I have been saying for a few weeks now IF we was able to move Fielder the likely destination was to Texas. The moves likely will not stop now though as I am sure there is another move to follow this one very soon.

The bad thing about this though is we are back at least at the moment to having only Victor protecting Miggy and will this also mean Miggy might be moved back to the 4 hole in the lineup?

Having protection in the lineup is wildly overrated. Teams aren't going to walk Miggy 3-4 times a game anyway, and statistically players actually hit better and see more strikes when there is a worse batter behind them. The whole thing is a myth made up by dumb managers like Leland and anecdotal confirmation bias from fans.

This is a great move. Kinsler is a significantly better defensive player than Fielder or Infante. Moving Cabrera back to 1B where he will cost us fewer runs in the field is a bonus. Even if we intend to start Castellanos at 3B, he can't be worse than Cabrera was defensively. Further, Kinsler is not a huge step down offensively. His added value as a baserunner is also huge for a team that was otherwise devoid of speed (another spot Fielder was a train wreck).

Our possibilities are so much more open now, and the lineup so much better balanced.

I sense that '14 won't be Victor's last as a Tiger. Fielder looked like he was rapidly trending towards being the Tigers FT DH, whether he wanted to or not, esp. with a new no-nonsense manager in Ausmus who isn't part of the good 'ol boy clique.

Last edited:
Although I do believe there is additional moves coming after this trade I wonder if we stand pat how the top of our lineup would look? Will Jackson stay in the leadoff slot or will Kinsler take over that role?

1. Jackson
2. Kinsler
3. Hunter
4. Cabrera
5. VMart

Great trade. When Prince was originally signed I thought he would be a beast despite having a terrible contract in which I thought he would be atrocious his final 3 years of the deal. I didn't know he would be mediocre so early. Even though I loved Prince in Milwaukee and still like him this was a terrible contract and a bad fit. Glad to part ways.

Although I do believe there is additional moves coming after this trade I wonder if we stand pat how the top of our lineup would look? Will Jackson stay in the leadoff slot or will Kinsler take over that role?

1. Jackson
2. Kinsler
3. Hunter
4. Cabrera
5. VMart

Kinsler will lead off. Almost guarantee it. Jackson would be much better in the lower middle/bottom part of the lineup.

Look at the 2 season's prior to Prince. Miggy was intentionally walked 54 times. With Prince hitting behind him the past 2 seasons that number reduced to 36 times. Also his walks has went down from 197 total the 2 years prior to 156 the last 2 season. Does that have anything to do with him shifting to 3rd in the lineup? No idea but the numbers don't lie.

1. Jackson
2. Kinsler
3. Hunter
4. Cabrera
5. VMart

I wouldn't put jackson at leadoff just yet. I'd rather keep cabby at 3 and get 15 extra aba from him

Great trade. When Prince was originally signed I thought he would be a beast despite having a terrible contract in which I thought he would be atrocious his final 3 years of the deal. I didn't know he would be mediocre so early. Even though I loved Prince in Milwaukee and still like him this was a terrible contract and a bad fit. Glad to part ways.
Same here. I was really disappointed by the lack of power. I thought he'd be a 40HR guy for us, and he was only a 27HR guy. I think it goes to show how good Miggy really is. You put another offensive "superstar" next to him, and he looks pedestrian.

Last edited:
Maybe two years ago. Now, Fielder is a .260 hitter with 25 HR power and a skyrocketing strike out rate.

Let's also not forget even though he came on and had a amazing 2nd half of the season VMart did hit .258 with a .694 OPS the 1st half of last season.

Maybe two years ago. Now, Fielder is a .260 hitter with 25 HR power and a skyrocketing strike out rate.
A .260 hitter with 25 HR power and a skyrocketing strikeout rate?!?!? Dude hit .280 last year, he struck out less than his career average the past two seasons, and he's still good for a 35HR average and will likely hit that many or more in Texas. He's a better hitter than Vmart in every aspect except batting average.

Look at the 2 season's prior to Prince. Miggy was intentionally walked 54 times. With Prince hitting behind him the past 2 seasons that number reduced to 36 times. Also his walks has went down from 197 total the 2 years prior to 156 the last 2 season. Does that have anything to do with him shifting to 3rd in the lineup? No idea but the numbers don't lie.

Miggy was walked 90 times this year, the second highest total of his career (behind an obvious outlier of 108 in 2011). That was with Fielder AND Victor behind him. His 2012 total of 66 is nothing special, right in line or more than 5 other years in his career. Of course his walks went down these last two years, because 2011 was a huge outlier, getting walked 18 times more than any other year in his career. This is also counterintuitive, since Victor was "protecting" him that year and hit .330 for the year and was hitting over .400 after a Cabrera walk. If ever there was a year not to walk Cabrera, it was 2011, yet he was walked more than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back