Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

I think the point is that that is 100% irrelevant.

Top 100 prospects are traded all the time, so we know that teams are willing to trade them.

Shields, a pitcher with similar value to Fister, went for a top 100 prospect.

Top 100 Pitching prospects have not been traded in a year. Saying "They are traded all the time" then using the Shields trade is 100% irrelevant.

PITCHING PROSPECTS...Teams are holding on to the good ones unlike the past. That's what makes this situation more unique. That value of pitching is through the roof and good young pitching is at a premium.

Two years ago the Myers trade happened. It also bears mentioning that Meyers isn't a pitcher which is the crux of the argument.

Fister wasn't worth other team's pitching prospects is what your second sentence says. Which is how the Tigers get Ray.

Of course, it was dumb to target a pitcher rather than a position player in the trade.

The Tigers should have been targeting position players, not pitching.

They have fuck all for position prospects coming up other than Castellanos, and they had 6 capable SPs on the big league roster.

Trading a surplus for more of the surplus rather than addressing other needs was a mistake.

Of course, it was dumb to target a pitcher rather than a position player in the trade.

The Tigers should have been targeting position players, not pitching.

They have fuck all for position prospects coming up other than Castellanos, and they had 6 capable SPs on the big league roster.

Trading a surplus for more of the surplus rather than addressing other needs was a mistake.

What was a position of need on the roster? Position players are cheaper to come by in free agency than pitchers. The "surplus" you speak of I don't see. Starting pitchers get injured. An organization needs 6-7 of them able to start games through a season at the minimum. The Tigers did not (still don't) have that. Fister starting and Smyly in the BP and they STILL wouldn't have it.

its kind of bazarro world to judge a trade before you even know what you got in return for your #4 starter.

You keep throwing #4 starter it front of him to make him seem less valuable.

That's cute, but it's really dumb.

The # in front a starter has 0 impact on his trade value, because he's gonna pitch the same amount of games as the guys ahead of him, maybe one less, but an insignificant amount.

All that matters is the quality of the pitcher, not his spot in the rotation.

I totally understand this cause that is my blind hatred for mayhew and how bad I want him gone. Its just hard to comprehend it with DD when hes turned this franchise into a perennial winner. He needs to plan for the future and we have zero minor league system. If that means your making decision that trade your quality #4 who has the value of a #2 or #3 on another team in order to get some potentially good young future arms....then I don't see a problem with it. Atleast not one that should be argued for this long when no one will know the result until these young guys get time to develop. I find it fair to bash mayhew for best, broyles, titus, leshoure, whitehead, mike Thomas, etc etc etc moves that have proven to not work out. I don't understand bashing DD for moves we have no idea how they will turn out and meanwhile our team is doing pretty darn good without the piece it lost.

The other point to take into consideration is it was pretty well documented...rumor or not...that fister didn't want to be here in the near future. We tend to forget that important piece when were discussing this...

If there is one area in the minor leagues where we have any potential, it is at SP.

So he traded a SP for more SP, rather than address what was a much bigger need.

Top 100 Pitching prospects have not been traded in a year. Saying "They are traded all the time" then using the Shields trade is 100% irrelevant.

PITCHING PROSPECTS...Teams are holding on to the good ones unlike the past. That's what makes this situation more unique. That value of pitching is through the roof and good young pitching is at a premium.

Pitching prospects?

Hmm, that's funny, because position prospects are clearly more valuable than pitching prospects.

You really think hes a top 30 SP? Really? Theres 30 teams in MLB. You think hes better than some #1s and Most every #2 in the league?

Name 30 SP that have been better than Fister over the past 2-3 years.

What was a position of need on the roster? Position players are cheaper to come by in free agency than pitchers. The "surplus" you speak of I don't see. Starting pitchers get injured. An organization needs 6-7 of them able to start games through a season at the minimum. The Tigers did not (still don't) have that. Fister starting and Smyly in the BP and they STILL wouldn't have it.

Fister, Porcello, Smyly, JV, Scherzer, Fister.

That's 6 SP right there.

And it's very easy to acquire a SP that can give you a 4.5 ERA and eat innings.

That's all you really need out of a 5th starter.

SP is clearly the strong point of the Tigers, both on the ML roster and in the minor leagues.

They need corner young OFers desperately. Hunter will be gone after next year and Dirks is not a viable long term option.

Jackson could potentially slide over to a corner spot if he is able to sustain his improvement at the plate, but that would leave CF open.

And position players are more expensive in FA than pitchers.

If there is one area in the minor leagues where we have any potential, it is at SP.

So he traded a SP for more SP, rather than address what was a much bigger need.

Then how did Ray immediately become our number one pitching prospect if it was so deep? You're saying he is THAT good then.

The prospects are three years away in Lakeland. Thompson and De La Rosa are two of them.

Then how did Ray immediately become our number one pitching prospect if it was so deep? You're saying he is THAT good then.

The prospects are three years away in Lakeland. Thompson and De La Rosa are two of them.

Jumping to number one on the Tigers isn't impressive.

Our system is a joke.

Other than Travis, is there any prospect that could reasonably be projected to be a big league regular?

On the other hand, there are plenty of starters that could reasonably project to be a regular SP.

And thanks for telling me who some of the prospects are, I had no idea.

Fister, Porcello, Smyly, JV, Scherzer, Fister.

That's 6 SP right there.

And it's very easy to acquire a SP that can give you a 4.5 ERA and eat innings.

That's all you really need out of a 5th starter.

SP is clearly the strong point of the Tigers, both on the ML roster and in the minor leagues.

They need corner young OFers desperately. Hunter will be gone after next year and Dirks is not a viable long term option.

Jackson could potentially slide over to a corner spot if he is able to sustain his improvement at the plate, but that would leave CF open.

And position players are more expensive in FA than pitchers.

so you would have been fine with a fister trade if it was for a corner OFer that we probably would have had to pay too much for....but not for future arms when our closest prospects are years away from being any resemblance of ready?

Last edited:
Jumping to number one on the Tigers isn't impressive.

Our system is a joke.

Other than Travis, is there any prospect that could reasonably be projected to be a big league regular?

On the other hand, there are plenty of starters that could reasonably project to be a regular SP.

And thanks for telling me who some of the prospects are, I had no idea.

I meant no offense listing some of the prospects. I only did so because they are three years away from being regulars and perhaps you had some others in mind.

You say jumping up is not a big deal because the system is a joke then say "There are plenty of starters that could reasonably project to be a regular SP" If Ray is the real deal and Smyly and Porcello are here for awhile, those pitching prospects are your corner outfielders of tomorrow in trade.

Ramon Cabrera I think projects as a MLB player as does McCann. Brandon Douglas is still on the radar as is Hernan Perez. Fields had been trending but appears to have taken a step back in developing. Not a good farm system but the MLB team is good.

so you would have been fine with a fister trade if it was for a corner OFer that we probably would have had to pay too much for....but not for future arms when our closest prospects are years away from being any resemblance of ready?

At the time of the Fister trade, we still had Jose Alvarez, Duane Below and Kyle Lobstein. Alvarez is very capable to be a #5 starter on any team. Maybe Verhagen at some point?

Sites Top 100 Prospect listings are generally for only those players that still qualify to become a Rookie of the Year. At the time of the Trade, Ray was not on anyone's list. Period. It was only after the trade that he jumped to #97 on MLB's list.

Now, the assertion that Ray is a Top 100 Prospect and Fister wasn't, is plain reaching. First, MLB (website) prospect listings are known to be liberal. Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus tend to be a better gauge, and neither list Ray in their top 100. So neither were/are Top 100 pitchers at those two sites. Depending on how much time Ray spends on the MLB roster, will mean he may never appear on BA's or BP's Top 100.

If you take the top 60-90 non-japanese pitchers over the last 3 years, roughly 90% were listed in BA's Top 100, many of those in the Top 50. Sure, Fister was not. But there are always exceptions. It is all about projecting a prospect's future. It isn't an exact science, but it cannot be discounted.

Somehow Ray is better or equal to Fister because Ray was #97 on MLB's prospect list and Fister was never on the Top 100? Really?

The actual scouting report on Ray was that he could become a middle rotation starter, IF he developed his secondary and tertiary pitches. This fact means there is more than a little concern and we don't know for sure whether he has (5 starts in AAA doesn't do it) or if he will. He has a MLB fastball and he will at times overpower enough hitters to be effective in a game. However, sooner or later, he will need those secondary or tertiary pitches to succeed.

Ray with all his question marks for a proven Top 30 starter. I don't get it and I don't have to. Technically, the difference between the two for Free Agency is now 4 years.

Saying Ray was 97th on MLB's Top 100 is not convincing me. Saying no other team traded a Top 100 pitcher (but they traded the 101 and 102 ranked players) means virtually nothing. What is his metric (stats) appeal? He isn't some draft pick with real unknowns. He has numbers from pitching in the minors. Prior to this year, they weren't all that impressive (they weren't terrible, they just weren't awe inspiring like some). Even his splits from this year, although small sample, shows some concern in his Away (5.40 ERA 2.00 WHIP). 4 of this 5 starts had come at Home.

Comparing any of this to the Lions and NFL is comparing apples to oranges. You build teams differently and there is no Minor leagues in the NFL. Draft picks, especially the top couple of rounds are supposed to be your starters for years to come. Messing those picks up can harm a team for years to come and you usually know the first season. This trade will take years to develop.

I do not rout against a player, I rout for my Tigers. I NEVER liked Brandon Inge. Both as a ballplayer and as a person. But I always hoped for the best for the Tigers, which we all do. However, does everyone rout for Phil Coke or even Don Kelly? Not necessarily, we hope the best for the Tigers. But I doubt anyone routs against a player just to prove a point.

I believe (no proof of course), that had Fister stayed the last 2 years and went via FA, we still would be left with a compensation pick after the 1st round. That pick more than likely would have been just as likely to become a mid-rotation guy as Ray. So, where did we can anything? Krol? Please. LOOGYs aren't the difference makers (they are if you compare them to Coke).

At the time of the Fister trade, we still had Jose Alvarez, Duane Below and Kyle Lobstein. Alvarez is very capable to be a #5 starter on any team. Maybe Verhagen at some point?

Sites Top 100 Prospect listings are generally for only those players that still qualify to become a Rookie of the Year. At the time of the Trade, Ray was not on anyone's list. Period. It was only after the trade that he jumped to #97 on MLB's list.

Now, the assertion that Ray is a Top 100 Prospect and Fister wasn't, is plain reaching. First, MLB (website) prospect listings are known to be liberal. Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus tend to be a better gauge, and neither list Ray in their top 100. So neither were/are Top 100 pitchers at those two sites. Depending on how much time Ray spends on the MLB roster, will mean he may never appear on BA's or BP's Top 100.

If you take the top 60-90 non-japanese pitchers over the last 3 years, roughly 90% were listed in BA's Top 100, many of those in the Top 50. Sure, Fister was not. But there are always exceptions. It is all about projecting a prospect's future. It isn't an exact science, but it cannot be discounted.

Somehow Ray is better or equal to Fister because Ray was #97 on MLB's prospect list and Fister was never on the Top 100? Really?

The actual scouting report on Ray was that he could become a middle rotation starter, IF he developed his secondary and tertiary pitches. This fact means there is more than a little concern and we don't know for sure whether he has (5 starts in AAA doesn't do it) or if he will. He has a MLB fastball and he will at times overpower enough hitters to be effective in a game. However, sooner or later, he will need those secondary or tertiary pitches to succeed.

Ray with all his question marks for a proven Top 30 starter. I don't get it and I don't have to. Technically, the difference between the two for Free Agency is now 4 years.

Saying Ray was 97th on MLB's Top 100 is not convincing me. Saying no other team traded a Top 100 pitcher (but they traded the 101 and 102 ranked players) means virtually nothing. What is his metric (stats) appeal? He isn't some draft pick with real unknowns. He has numbers from pitching in the minors. Prior to this year, they weren't all that impressive (they weren't terrible, they just weren't awe inspiring like some). Even his splits from this year, although small sample, shows some concern in his Away (5.40 ERA 2.00 WHIP). 4 of this 5 starts had come at Home.

Comparing any of this to the Lions and NFL is comparing apples to oranges. You build teams differently and there is no Minor leagues in the NFL. Draft picks, especially the top couple of rounds are supposed to be your starters for years to come. Messing those picks up can harm a team for years to come and you usually know the first season. This trade will take years to develop.

I do not rout against a player, I rout for my Tigers. I NEVER liked Brandon Inge. Both as a ballplayer and as a person. But I always hoped for the best for the Tigers, which we all do. However, does everyone rout for Phil Coke or even Don Kelly? Not necessarily, we hope the best for the Tigers. But I doubt anyone routs against a player just to prove a point.

I believe (no proof of course), that had Fister stayed the last 2 years and went via FA, we still would be left with a compensation pick after the 1st round. That pick more than likely would have been just as likely to become a mid-rotation guy as Ray. So, where did we can anything? Krol? Please. LOOGYs aren't the difference makers (they are if you compare them to Coke).

I love my Lions but rooted for them to lose four years in to Millen. It was a painful time for me but it happened.

I don't put much stock into the rankings (Mike Piazza) I only asked the question because some were pretending a player can never be worth anything unless he is "trending" on these arbitrary lists. The basis for this trade being "horseshit" is that Ray wasn't ranked high enough. You can't argue both points "We didn't get enough because he wasn't ranked high enough." "Doug Fister wasn't ranked but rankings don't matter...."

Calling Doug Fister a top 30 pitcher is arbitrary at best. I can give you a raft load of numbers that put him around 50. You can give me WAR that makes him top 30. I think 45 is more accurate but I won't split that hair.

I NEVER said Ray will be better because he was 97th on MLB.com. I was asking "If being ranked in the top 100 is the only way to be of value in a trade then how did Fister become so important?" I also think it is a valid point that top pitching prospects haven't been traded in the last year. Take as many grains of salt as you need but the record is a matter of record. I'll be interested to see the next MLB trade that contains one.

Jose Alvarez would be capable as a number 5 anywhere in the league? We disagree and we'll leave it at that. What is VerHagen showing you that he's a player? Duane Below? Duane Below? You're offering recycled options, Ray is potential for the future (in DD's eyes and a few others who don't care about rankings and look at ability). Ray became our top pitching prospect the moment he got here, why would anyone pretend that we already had better?

Ian Krol also became our best LH bullpen arm the moment the trade was made. Is that worth something? To me it is, to you it is meaningless. Our approach to build a baseball team is obviously different. I reference Coke because at least ONE GM thinks it is so hard to find lefty relievers that he's willing to hang on long beyond rhyme and/or reason.

I like Don Kelly...Y'all are awesome too. I may disagree but I do love waking up to some Tiger chatter. Thanks.

Breaking down Baseball America's top 100 Prospects list 45 of the players are pitchers. 9 of those 45 are LHP.

Andrew Heaney for Florida was the top ranked LHP prospect on the list at number 30 and is pitching well in the minors this season.

There just are not many LHP prospects in the world.

I love my Lions but rooted for them to lose four years in to Millen. It was a painful time for me but it happened.

I don't put much stock into the rankings (Mike Piazza) I only asked the question because some were pretending a player can never be worth anything unless he is "trending" on these arbitrary lists. The basis for this trade being "horseshit" is that Ray wasn't ranked high enough. You can't argue both points "We didn't get enough because he wasn't ranked high enough." "Doug Fister wasn't ranked but rankings don't matter...."

Calling Doug Fister a top 30 pitcher is arbitrary at best. I can give you a raft load of numbers that put him around 50. You can give me WAR that makes him top 30. I think 45 is more accurate but I won't split that hair.

I NEVER said Ray will be better because he was 97th on MLB.com. I was asking "If being ranked in the top 100 is the only way to be of value in a trade then how did Fister become so important?" I also think it is a valid point that top pitching prospects haven't been traded in the last year. Take as many grains of salt as you need but the record is a matter of record. I'll be interested to see the next MLB trade that contains one.

Jose Alvarez would be capable as a number 5 anywhere in the league? We disagree and we'll leave it at that. What is VerHagen showing you that he's a player? Duane Below? Duane Below? You're offering recycled options, Ray is potential for the future (in DD's eyes and a few others who don't care about rankings and look at ability). Ray became our top pitching prospect the moment he got here, why would anyone pretend that we already had better?

Ian Krol also became our best LH bullpen arm the moment the trade was made. Is that worth something? To me it is, to you it is meaningless. Our approach to build a baseball team is obviously different. I reference Coke because at least ONE GM thinks it is so hard to find lefty relievers that he's willing to hang on long beyond rhyme and/or reason.

I like Don Kelly...Y'all are awesome too. I may disagree but I do love waking up to some Tiger chatter. Thanks.

Ray is NOT a Top 100 Prospect and prior to this year, did not have awe inspiring stats. I am not choosing one over the other, you are to try and make your point.

Please do so where Fister isn't even a Top 45, let alone. I am curious what archaic metric or what sample size creates this notion. And FYI, I despise WAR, so I wouldn't even pretend to use such a stat. It is the most biased stat that "experts" fail to understand.

Last 3 years Away

Lobstein 3.33 xFIP 3.36 ERA .310 OPP OBP 1.26 WHIP 2.55 SO/BB 2.9 BB/G
Alvarez 3.33 xFIP 3.69 ERA .323 OPP OBP 1.28 WHIP 2.71 SO/BB 2.2 BB/G
VerHagen 3.85 xFIP 2.69 ERA .292 OPP OBP 1.10 WHIP 1.24 SO/BB 3.9 BB/G
Ray 3.86 xFIP 4.26 ERA .332 OPP OBP 1.33 WHIP 2.34 SO/BB 4.0 BB/G
Below 4.28 xFIP 3.61 ERA .315 OPP OBP 1.28 WHIP 2.08 SO/BB 3.1 BB/G

What other metric would you want a comparison. Oh, and Alvarez, Lobstein and Below are all lefties and probably do just as well as Krol in the LOOGY position if they aren't going to be used as starters.

The big question is who is the starting OF in 2016? And where are you going to get them?

We traded from a position of strength and we didn't fill a position of need. Plain and simple.

Robbie Ray - 22
Lobstien - 24
Alvarez - 25
VerHagen - 23
Below - 28

Do you feel that at 22 he has peaked? He isn't going to get better? Doug Fister's AA stats (4 seasons) 4.92 era, 1.442 WHIP

Back