Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 11 Texans @ Lions Thread

They didnt want more yards pr those wouldnt have been run plays. They settled....and they paid for it. Theres nothing settling about a 47 yard fg for the win....i don't care who is kicking it.

Agree.

You don't get just in field goal range and then run two runs up the middle and kick on third down as if the field goal is a gimmie. Even for the best kickers around that is maybe just over 50/50 from 45+ yards. Absolutely stupid to not try and at least get closer if not score a touchdown.

And of course you will lose yards if you just run a draw play three times, that's what everybody expects. If they run any other play they probably have a decent shot at picking up yards. Playing for a long field goal is stupid and if you're dumb enough to do it you deserve to lose.

They should have been throwing the ball IMO. Sure, you want to secure the ball and don't cough it up, but Staff was throwing for a ton of yards anyways. Totally disagree with attempting the FG on 3rd down. I wasn't losing my mind. but i was a little baffled by the playcall.

They should have been throwing the ball IMO. Sure, you want to secure the ball and don't cough it up, but Staff was throwing for a ton of yards anyways. Totally disagree with attempting the FG on 3rd down. I wasn't losing my mind. but i was a little baffled by the playcall.

Lions were in field goal range twice in the 4th Quarter on the Lions 36. Two 3rd downs the Lions attempted to pass, RESULT 2 sacks by JJ Watt out of field goal range. That had more to due with kicking on 3rd down IMO. A JJ Watt sack for a third time was very possible with how he was playing.

Lions were in field goal range twice in the 4th Quarter on the Lions 36. Two 3rd downs the Lions attempted to pass, RESULT 2 sacks by JJ Watt out of field goal range. That had more to due with kicking on 3rd down IMO. A JJ Watt sack for a third time was very possible with how he was playing.

if you throw it on all 3 downs....he isnt going to sack us 3 times. If thats his mindset he should be drafting more lineman on draft day. You dont call pass plays thinking how the defense is going to sack you.....you call pass plays you think you can beat their defense with.

if you throw it on all 3 downs....he isnt going to sack us 3 times. If thats his mindset he should be drafting more lineman on draft day. You dont call pass plays thinking how the defense is going to sack you.....you call pass plays you think you can beat their defense with.

It's not a given but with JJ Watt it's highly probable no matter who we have on the Oline. The Oline has actually played well in pass pro most of the year but we were dealing with a monster DE who had the hot hand.

Kicking the FG was the right choice. They didn't execute the kick which is rare for Hanson and Muhlbach. Lions are getting screwed by alot of raririties going the wrong way this year. Raiola botched fumble, 4 returns in a 2 week span, redzone fumbles, Pettigrews strips, 2 pick 6s. They all went the other way last year.

It's not a given but with JJ Watt it's highly probable no matter who we have on the Oline. The Oline has actually played well in pass pro most of the year but we were dealing with a monster DE who had the hot hand.

Kicking the FG was the right choice. They didn't execute the kick which is rare for Hanson and Muhlbach. Lions are getting screwed by alot of raririties going the wrong way this year. Raiola botched fumble, 4 returns in a 2 week span, redzone fumbles, Pettigrews strips, 2 pick 6s. They all went the other way last year.

We had way to much go our way last year...all the late 4th quarter heroics, avrils strip sacks. Good teams dont rely on those types of things happening year in and year out. Even as a pessimistic fan i had the lions winning 9 games this year...when youre losing to bad teams....youre a bad team. I still dont like the way we build...we rely very heavily on the draft yet we use draft picks to draft depth at skill positions. Its a recipe for dissaster.

We had way to much go our way last year...all the late 4th quarter heroics, avrils strip sacks. Good teams dont rely on those types of things happening year in and year out. Even as a pessimistic fan i had the lions winning 9 games this year...when youre losing to bad teams....youre a bad team. I still dont like the way we build...we rely very heavily on the draft yet we use draft picks to draft depth at skill positions. Its a recipe for dissaster.

There is a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL. Things went against the Lions too last year(pick 6 to Talib, Gosder personal foul, Suh personal foul GB, Titus personal foul New Orleans, Ted Ginn return with a block in the back and misspot of 5 yards, Hanson misses vs 49ers and Packers, special teams KO to the Panthers, big punt return at Vikings by Sherels, Joe Webb run, Logan fumble vs Falcons after an offside, worse injuries with less depth Delmas, Houston, Fairley, LeShoure and Best, Calvin fumble on the Peppers hit, Burleson fumble going out of bounds, hell 2 pick 6s versus the Bears and 2 other redzone picks, 3 picks home vs Pack with Stafford playing with a bad finger, fumble vs the Raiders, having to play Alphonso Smith, Brandon McDonald, Don Carey and Chris Harris.

The Lions got some earned breaks too to counter that crap. Like monster come backs(which is the Lions imposing their will on the Vikings, Cowboys, Panthers and Raiders) and more turnovers forced (5 vs the Vikings, 4 vs the Panthers, 3 vs the Cowboys, 3 explosive plays vs the Bears home, Best screen 60 yarder at the Vikings). For some reason that's just missing this year.

I'd say this year they have very very few breaks that are needed for ANY team not just the Lions. For instance the 3 strips the Dline forced this year all have been recovered by the Rams, Packers and Texans accordingly. No picks 6s which having Delmas more than 4 games would help that. There have been some good turnovers like the Houston strip vs the Titans that led to the 27-20 lead and the Houston pick against the Texans.

Last edited:
Back