Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 11 Texans @ Lions Thread

how about a run fake up the middle, have the QB roll out and throw for a 1st down inside the 20 like the Texans did....right before they kicked a chip shot game winner!

The series before...the Texans ran it twice and lost yards and missed the kick because of it.

Last edited:
Dude you're an idiot, quit blaming the coaching on that play. An NFL kicker should make those kicks. There is a way bigger risk running another play than trusting a 20yr vet.

You run a play!, you play to win, not to make sure you don't make a mistake. 47 yarders are not chip shots, I don't care if it's a HOF kicker or not you don't just give up a down schwartz gave up down to try a long FG. He said he didn't so shit like at after wk 1, he lied, he really let everyone down today.

You run a play!, you play to win, not to make sure you don't make a mistake. 47 yarders are not chip shots, I don't care if it's a HOF kicker or not you don't just give up a down schwartz gave up down to try a long FG. He said he didn't so shit like at after wk 1, he lied, he really let everyone down today.

No he didn't...you're overeacting to a tough loss. If Hanson makes the kick no one is on here screaming about how they should have run another play. It was Jason Hanson who made a kick from the same length earlier. It's not like it was Mason Crosby last week and he sent him out there on 3rd down after he already missed 3 kicks in the game.

i never blame kickers for missing...it happens. I put the blame on Pettigrew for going drop drop fumble on 3 consecutive plays. KVB for being the worst DE in NFL history and batting down a soft touch pass screen right to his hands instead of simply catching the ball. Refs for being the worst crew ive seen in years. The punt that hit their guy, the KNEE AND ELBOW down on forseet run, numerous non PI calls, They cant even see the ball hit the ground on the broyles overturned pick, the phantom Avril offsides call on 3rd and 5 on an incomplete pass. Coaching, theyre dumb....all of them. Schwartz challenge was the blatent thing one could harp on....but the offense and the defense both played to lose down the stretch.

Last edited:
No he didn't...you're overeacting to a tough loss. If Hanson makes the kick no one is on here screaming about how they should have run another play. It was Jason Hanson who made a kick from the same length earlier. It's not like it was Mason Crosby last week and he sent him out there on 3rd down after he already missed 3 kicks in the game.

Screaming no? Still not happy with the decision to leave a down on the board, Hell no I was screaming at the time saying WTF it's 3rd down and it's over 40!! I've seen coaches leave a down on the board when it's a close FG but never a longer one like this, it was stupid and schwartz wasn't supposed to be this kind of coach. your 4-6 and have to win out just to have a slight shot still, your QB has thrown for over 400 yards, it's 3rd and 11 you fucking run another play!!

Schwartz showed no confidence in his team to run another play and at least try to get something. What kind of message does that send to the team? you get down there in range by throwing the ball then you go soft and play not to lose and you lose! that's what happens when you play not to lose! He wasn't supposed to be just another coach. It was supposed to be different this time.

Last edited:
We hung tough for 72 minutes with a 9-1 team. A lot better than anyone expected. Sure I'm upset but not steaming like I have been following the last 2 losses.

We need to face this team is still 2 or 3 years and a couple of drafts away from being a serious contender.

Screaming no? Still not happy with the decision to leave a down on the board, Hell no I was screaming at the time saying WTF it's 3rd down and it's over 40!! I've seen coaches leave a down on the board when it's a close FG but never a longer one like this, it was stupid and schwartz wasn't supposed to be this kind of coach. your 4-6 and have to win out just to have a slight shot still, your QB has thrown for over 400 yards, it's 3rd and 11 you fucking run another play!!

Schwartz showed no confidence in his team to run another play and at least try to get something. What kind of message does that send to the team? you get down there in range by throwing the ball then you go soft and play not to lose and you lose! that's what happens when you play not to lose! He wasn't supposed to be just another coach. It was supposed to be different this time.

The only message he sent was that he had confidence in his kicker. I already pointed out that twice in the 4th quarter they dropped Staff back to pass and both times he was sacked out of FG range. So he decided to go ahead and kick it late into OT with his 20 year vet. Hanson missed it.

It's really easy to be critical in hindsight. If he runs it and we lose a yard and Hanson hits the upright everyone is saying what a stupid play call. If Staff drops back and is sacked, a penalty, a TO, etc. then we are criticizing the play call. If he's sacked we are all saying what morons they were after we already watched it happen twice in the 4th. Most of the board complains when we run. Today someone showed up and said why aren't we running when it worked on the last drive. If you lose it will always be something. Guys have to excecute...Pett has to hang onto the ball, Broyles has to make that sideline catch, Hanson has to make the kick.

And at least maybe they'll stop clamoring once and for all about taking the T-Day game away from the Lions.

COWBOYS are the ones getting pounded today 28-3 by the Redskins. Those are the beatings WE used to take.

Baby steps baby steps.

Its just the Lions... Find numerous ways to lose games.. The maddening season continues with no accountability from the owner down to the players .. Just a losing organization top to bottom.. Way to much talent on this team to be struggling.. The whole coaching staff needs to be fired..

It was a great fucking game compared to the last several on Turkey day, i'm pissed but also happy, we've come a long way, granted we regressed a bit compared to last year, but we are getting better.
For once I was excited and happy with our secondary, Flo, Houston, Delmas and I really like how Silva has stepped up.
We have a really good LB corps, Broyles was great and I think we got a good one with Thomas. Rieff also played really well for a Rook as LT.
Bell and Leshoure are a good combo, with better run blocking support those two will really shine imo.
I would have liked to seen a few passes go to Heller, he has proven to have some solid hands as well as a decent blocker.

I still blame playcalling. Also, I love Hanson, and he makes that kick probably 90% of the time, but with a down still to use, try to get a few more yards...maybe a quick 5 yard cross pattern with a pick, it worked awesome earlier when we did it in i believe the 1st quarter. if its not there, throw it away and kick it. Just my opinion though...to each his own

Stopped reading after the first sentence. Consistently LOSING close games shows regression from last year imo, not a team moving forward.

team has regressed no doubt about that...It really is frustrating to watch...To many players and coaches reading about their press clippings and not working to improve...The play calling is beyond stupid in critical areas... The defense is vastly overrated and fails to come up with key stops time and time again. Pettigrew is a bust lets face it.. 15 play 97 yard drive..Are you kidding me...

Last edited:
As glad as I am that they made it a game, I'm afraid that they'll go backwards next week; not benching pettigrew and bringing titus back to mess up a good thing they have going offensively. At least winning this game would have made next week more bearable. Whatever; I'm just glad it was close. With this "fuck-it-up squad" from the coaches on down, can't expect much more than that.

Its just the Lions... Find numerous ways to lose games.. The maddening season continues with no accountability from the owner down to the players .. Just a losing organization top to bottom.. Way to much talent on this team to be struggling.. The whole coaching staff needs to be fired..

Yeah they really found the ways today. Lets see what I can recount just from recall

1. Schwartz throws flag when he didn't need to, Lions lose a touchdown as a result (refs fault first and foremost but coach blew it too)
2. at least 3 trips to about the 40 yard line followed by a three and out with a sack to take them out of field goal range each time
3. A dropped interception on the last Houston drive that would have sealed the game, hit him right in the hands on a toss that hung up for our DB like a freakin punt.
4. Dropped interception in over time on the 5 yard line of Houston that hit our DL right in the hands and would have ended the game.
5. The TE fighting for extra yards in OT when they were well within field goal range and it was first down which resulted in a fumble.
6. Calling multiple plays at around the 40 to go deep to Johnson on second down when only a few yards were needed for either a first down or a field goal attempt.
7. Missed Hanson field goal.

Basically if any of those things happens differently the Lions most likely win. This team is just sick with their ability to find ways to lose.

Agree.

You don't get just in field goal range and then run two runs up the middle and kick on third down as if the field goal is a gimmie. Even for the best kickers around that is maybe just over 50/50 from 45+ yards. Absolutely stupid to not try and at least get closer if not score a touchdown.

And of course you will lose yards if you just run a draw play three times, that's what everybody expects. If they run any other play they probably have a decent shot at picking up yards. Playing for a long field goal is stupid and if you're dumb enough to do it you deserve to lose.

Back