Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 3: Lions @ Redskins Thread

Especially when all off season everyone said a win is a win and a loss is a loss. Everytime the words lucky or unlucky were thrown out all I heard was they don't exist.

You'd think it were that simple, but I guess the Lions are supposed to win by 2+ TDs. If the Lions did this, if the coaches did that, if, if, if....every NFL team makes mistakes and every NFL team forces the other team to make mistakes, sometimes more than others, but by no means is any team perfect.

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but it almost seems like no team has ever beaten the Lions, the Lions only beat themselves, and that's the mentality I hate to see. One can view that as cynicism, but in actuality, it's arrogant homerism. Let's blame Burleson, let's blame Stafford, let's blame Linehan...has anyone considered that Mathieu just made a solid game-clinching play?

It just gets irritating seeing the constant blame-game every single fucking game. I don't mind when clear trends exist, but you can't pin every single negative offensive play on Linehan nor every personal foul on Schwartz.

I'm done ranting for now, this whole fan mentality argument is becoming pointless.

You'd think it were that simple, but I guess the Lions are supposed to win by 2+ TDs. If the Lions did this, if the coaches did that, if, if, if....every NFL team makes mistakes and every NFL team forces the other team to make mistakes, sometimes more than others, but by no means is any team perfect.

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but it almost seems like no team has ever beaten the Lions, the Lions only beat themselves, and that's the mentality I hate to see. One can view that as cynicism, but in actuality, it's arrogant homerism. Let's blame Burleson, let's blame Stafford, let's blame Linehan...has anyone considered that Mathieu just made a solid game-clinching play?

It just gets irritating seeing the constant blame-game every single fucking game. I don't mind when clear trends exist, but you can't pin every single negative offensive play on Linehan nor every personal foul on Schwartz.

I'm done ranting for now, this whole fan mentality argument is becoming pointless.

Agreed wholeheartedly

The positives are they are 2-1.
The negative is they should be 3-0.

Lets beat the Bears and tie for the division..

if the Lions beat the Bears wouldnt they actually be on top of the division being 2-0 against divisional opponents?

I agree that its not that simple: If I say I'm worried a good QB will shred our LB core I'm labeled a hater..

By that definition, everyone here (at one time in their life) is a hater..

How was the Redskins win a 'bad' win?

They gave us every opportunity to win comfortably and again we didn't capitolize and it came down to a last second hail mary to win. The win was again riddled with stupid penalties and boneheaded plays. Our st sucked all day with 4 penalties on st alone. Pick 6s, playing cover 0, bad st, personal fouls....will lead to a loss vs good teams. I listed positives already in the game thread...staff was sharp, ansah was beasting and burleson actually looked like a wr for the first time in 2 years.

The thing that has struck me about our 1st 3 games is how much more talent we have than our opponents do. Minny, Zona, and the Skins, don't have close to the talent we do. It's was a big difference to me.

We're a #1 corner away from being one of the 7-10 most talented teams in the NFL.

Still make way too many mental mistakes!

Levy could be a pro bowler.

Last edited:
I guess I am always amazed that so many Lion fans stay positive. I just think that fans should expect excellence from their teams. Not perfection. Being a fan doesn't mean wearing the rose colored glasses all the time. Some fans actually do expect excellence from their teams. Pats, Pack, Cards (Baseball), Wings, Spurs etc. There's nothing wrong with that. The only team that really compares to the Lions is the Cubs. Cub fans love them but that doesn't mean they're not sick of the same old losing yr in and out. I think most long time Lion fans just want to see them prove they're an excellent team.

Anyone that knows my post history can tell you that I don't wear the rose-colored glasses. I don't see this team making the playoffs and I definitely don't see them winning over the next 2 weeks. I do have a problem with fans expecting perfection out of a mediocre team, you're simply never going to be happy...what fan wants to be miserable all the time? A win is a win.

Last edited:
Not sure you can detect misery from the internet. Last time I was miserable after a game was when I was a kid. Its still just a game, very low on the real important things in life.

Not sure you can detect misery from the internet. Last time I was miserable after a game was when I was a kid. Its still just a game, very low on the real important things in life.

You'd think so, but after a loss around here it seems like Sundays are ruined.

You'd think so, but after a loss around here it seems like Sundays are ruined.

Just talk. On a forum with people you don't know nonetheless. I was at the Arizona game, with my brother in law, I had fun and regardless what the outcome I had fun.

Same this week. It doesn't mean anything. I'm sure LKP doesn't run around his house, with a foam finger, screaming "we're number 1, we're number 1."

Just talk. On a forum with people you don't know nonetheless. I was at the Arizona game, with my brother in law, I had fun and regardless what the outcome I had fun.

Same this week. It doesn't mean anything. I'm sure LKP doesn't run around his house, with a foam finger, screaming "we're number 1, we're number 1."

Lol

True, maybe I'm just reading into it too much. I think I just don't care as much as I used to. Win or lose...it has no effect on me an hour after the game.

I have to admit I get bummed after a loss. You think I'd be used to it by now.

I have to admit I take all loses from my teams hard... It all started way back when Dempsey kicked that 63 yarder, and the 5-0 playoff lose to the Cowpokes. The damn Vikings of the 1970's... Or was it Mike lantry's missed field goals. (one which was good) or was it the vote? Maybe it was Robert Horry's bomb after Wallace failed to cover him? all those eastern conference finals..at least we have 3 in hoops..

Was it all the Rose bowl Losses? (Except the two I was at for MSU, and Michigan) Tigers 1987,2006,2012.. maybe this is our year? Hockey... love the Wings.. Ref's ripped 2009's cup away from us but all in all they have been the best.. Michigan in final four games since 1989...Two would have been vacated anyway...Nice Block Trey!!!!!!! I just can't help it.. I normally recover the next day... But I that cheater Rat Tre$$el's years...Talk about ownage....Now MSU last four of five.. It's ok...This is our year... Go Lions!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I really enjoy reading about each sport and watching other teams play each other much more when our MI-based teams are doing well and winning..For example, the other NFL games on Sundays/Mondays when the Lions win, which means that I haven't enjoyed watching them quite as often as I would have liked over the past 40-odd years...dlol.

The very first NFL game that I really watched from beginning to end for the first time was in my early teens being the Jets vs the Colts in Superbowl III That year ('69) was the first that it was actually called the "Superbowl" IIRC.

As far as college football (and basketball), I was far more into both back when I was in my 20s and 30s. Although I still watch Michigan and Michigan State play on occasion, I just no longer have as much desire to spend Saturday afternoons watching them on TV...likely in large part b/c of my former graveyard shift schedule which for many years included working most weekends.

Back when I was a kid if the Tigers or Lions lost I'd be bummed until they won again. Easier as a Tigers fan since they play more often..That's why I changed my ways, not worth being pissed off and bringing the family down because of a game.

Back