Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gio Gonzalez and Martin Prado

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Gio's walks in the NL will hurt more than when he was in the AL.

Why does league matter?

I'm glad the Tigers didn't pony up Turner, Cast and Smyly.

They play a different game there. More sac bunts, which will more those walks over. That's my thinking anyway.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]They play a different game there. More sac bunts, which will more those walks over. That's my thinking anyway.

Being that sacrifice bunts are pretty much always the wrong decision, and decrease your chances of scoring/having a big inning, I'd say going to league where more of them happen would actually help him.

tycobb420 said:
kingofdetroit57 said:
Dumb trade for the Nats. Gio isn't a #1 and they gave up 4 top prospects to get him. As the article says, they kept Harper and Rendon (their #1 and #2), but those guys are probably the two top prospects in any organization, so what the Nats gave up is really about equal to the top 4 prospects in any other organization. Peacock and Milone are really good prosects from everything I've heard on them.

Two of the guys they surrendered for Gonz. sound like throw-ins. The other 2 seem like they are top prospects.
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/20/2650433/washington-nationals-top-20-prospects-for-2012

kingofdetroit57 said:
tycobb420 said:
Two of the guys they surrendered for Gonz. sound like throw-ins. The other 2 seem like they are top prospects.
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/20/2650433/washington-nationals-top-20-prospects-for-2012

I don't think that it is a bad trade for them. For some reason a lot of scouts don't like Peacock (flat fast ball). Milone only throws in the 80's so he isn't big time either. Maybe they pan out, but they didn't give up any can't miss prospects so I think that The Nats are probably pretty happy with the deal.

kingofdetroit57 said:
Dumb trade for the Nats. Gio isn't a #1 and they gave up 4 top prospects to get him. As the article says, they kept Harper and Rendon (their #1 and #2), but those guys are probably the two top prospects in any organization, so what the Nats gave up is really about equal to the top 4 prospects in any other organization. Peacock and Milone are really good prosects from everything I've heard on them.

at this point i dont see anything wrong with going after a guy you like....wish the tigers would do some of that. heard they gave up 3 of their top 10 prospects...big deal. Prospects are in the minors for a reason....theyre not ready to contribute. Good teams trade those pieces for players that can contribute at a MLB level. Whens the last time you saw a team full of prospects make it anywhere?

mhughes0021 said:
kingofdetroit57 said:

at this point i dont see anything wrong with going after a guy you like....wish the tigers would do some of that. heard they gave up 3 of their top 10 prospects...big deal. Prospects are in the minors for a reason....theyre not ready to contribute. Good teams trade those pieces for players that can contribute at a MLB level. Whens the last time you saw a team full of prospects make it anywhere?

Obviously they aren't prospects anymore, but Tampa Bay seems to have built a pretty solid foundation on holding onto those prospects of theirs.

Marlins seem to have won a couple WS recently too.

But prospects are always a gamble and no team should ever be close-minded about players and trades.

jmakula87 said:
mhughes0021 said:

Obviously they aren't prospects anymore, but Tampa Bay seems to have built a pretty solid foundation on holding onto those prospects of theirs.

Marlins seem to have won a couple WS recently too.

But prospects are always a gamble and no team should ever be close-minded about players and trades.

One team that farms prospects and hopes they do well is KC. Some do...then they trade them lol. I think they have a good young team....theyll still be lucky to win 50% of their games next year....yippie.

Have to remember whether these players are good prospects or not, as previously mentioned, are sitting their ass in the minors. Its like getting a free ML player for a year or two, or longer.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Have to remember whether these players are good prospects or not, as previously mentioned, are sitting their ass in the minors. Its like getting a free ML player for a year or two, or longer.
I don't see the Nats competing any time soon though, do you? Why sell the farm for starting players when you are at least a couple years away?

i dunno, they have some nice pieces incl strasbourg and harper. they could compete for the wild card soon if not this year.

kingofdetroit57 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Have to remember whether these players are good prospects or not, as previously mentioned, are sitting their ass in the minors. Its like getting a free ML player for a year or two, or longer.
I don't see the Nats competing any time soon though, do you? Why sell the farm for starting players when you are at least a couple years away?

Yeah KoD, I thought the same thing. idk maybe they are trying to get some team controlled talent now to be a bit more competitive now...It appears also that they have to overpay example of werth to get FA's to sign, like when the Tigers signed Pudge. A couple/few pieces in place. hope they do well in the future.

kingofdetroit57 said:
[color=#006400 said:

1. They are pretty close to competing, and have a very good young core.

2. They still have some very good prospects in their farm system, and didn't include either of their top two prospects in the farm.

Back