Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How Stafford stacks up though 2 games

I get to about step 4 before I start relapsing and breaking s**t. I think we all have a legit shot at suing WCF for irreversible liver damage.

That dude owes me a shirt. Middle of the forth quarter my house was warm and another drop by the offense and I went Hulk Hogan on that thing. Beer may be my spinach.

I'm waiting for the game where Staff actually does throw downfield on quite a few plays.

I want to see who Lions fans blame when he's sitting at 4-5 picks.

You know you have to throw down field now and then, not once and then forget about it.

You guys make it sound like Staff can't throw down field or the ball gets INT every single time. He didn't have this problem 2 years ago, want to see where he ranked on passes over 20 yards in 2011?

Before the season they bitched because his completion percentage was sub 60% but now they bitch because.....I honestly can't even type their argument it defies intelligence.They should have won both games!!!!! The offense played well for all of the first game and most of the second. If not for dropped passes stafford would be over 70% and he already has improved his accuracy a ton. He is trying to get the ball to open space not his fault dudes dropped passes in the desert. When he has a bad game I will call it out but for now he is stepping into that elite category showing us the potential that was there all along. Dude is looking incredibly dangerous and you guys are pissed because he isnt throwing it far enough. He is in the top 10 in yards so he is obviously getting the ball to the right guy on most throws. Did I miss when Tom Brady always throws deep or Montana, or Elway or Young or Aikman or fucking anyone else. I mean seriously guys wtf!.

ill stop bitching when were winning. "you guys" keep saying how staff is a top 10 qb in this league. Guess what.....top 10 qbs don't lose to a Carson Palmer led Arizona team with no fitz on the field.

Mayhew-intense.jpg

that's his youtube face....must be scouting the next injured collegiate athlete that can maybe produce 5 years down the road...maybe.

You know you have to throw down field now and then, not once and then forget about it.

You guys make it sound like Staff can't throw down field or the ball gets INT every single time. He didn't have this problem 2 years ago, want to see where he ranked on passes over 20 yards in 2011?

On passes that resulted in 20+ yards or throws over 20 yards?

Since I was curious, I tried my own search for stats on passes that traveled deep (in this case over 15 yards). Keep in mind this is only accuracy.

Stafford
2012 - 8th 22.8% link
2011 - 31st 18.4% link
2010 - Not eligible
2009 - 26th 19.4% link

Career = 19.9%

ill stop bitching when were winning. "you guys" keep saying how staff is a top 10 qb in this league. Guess what.....top 10 qbs don't lose to a Carson Palmer led Arizona team with no fitz on the field.

Yes because Stafford made Bell and co. drop passes right in their hands when giving them the chance to move the ball down field. It's like I forget that Stafford has the ability not only throw the ball with incredible accuracy but also make the guys hold on to the damn thing. You can only blame Stafford for so much before you just sound like an idiot.

Yes because Stafford made Bell and co. drop passes right in their hands when giving them the chance to move the ball down field. It's like I forget that Stafford has the ability not only throw the ball with incredible accuracy but also make the guys hold on to the damn thing. You can only blame Stafford for so much before you just sound like an idiot.

I also can't believe Stafford wasn't able to tackle their RB toward the end there. He does that, then maybe they settle for a field goal. Then Stafford could have blocked the kick, returned it for a TD, and we have our insurance points.

That's what Peyton would have done, and he's a top 10 QB.

I also can't believe Stafford wasn't able to tackle their RB toward the end there. He does that, then maybe they settle for a field goal. Then Stafford could have blocked the kick, returned it for a TD, and we have our insurance points.

That's what Peyton would have done, and he's a top 10 QB.

Peyton probably would have thrown the ball to one of the guys that ran a 4+ yard route when it was 4th and 4.

we had 3 drops in the second half....which isn't a good thing....but its not the only reason we only had 5 first downs. Sorry staff gets the blame....he runs the offense and the offense sucked.

Peyton probably would have thrown the ball to one of the guys that ran a 4+ yard route when it was 4th and 4.

This is a fair point. But you could also argue that without Bell and Co. and the drops, we would never have been in that position in the first place. Some of the blame can go to Stafford, but all of it? No way.

This is a fair point. But you could also argue that without Bell and Co. and the drops, we would never have been in that position in the first place. Some of the blame can go to Stafford, but all of it? No way.

you are right. I don't know if Pettigrew had any drops but if he did he made up for it with that miracle catch in the 4th

Before the season they bitched because his completion percentage was sub 60% but now they bitch because.....I honestly can't even type their argument it defies intelligence.They should have won both games!!!!! The offense played well for all of the first game and most of the second. If not for dropped passes stafford would be over 70% and he already has improved his accuracy a ton. He is trying to get the ball to open space not his fault dudes dropped passes in the desert. When he has a bad game I will call it out but for now he is stepping into that elite category showing us the potential that was there all along. Dude is looking incredibly dangerous and you guys are pissed because he isnt throwing it far enough. He is in the top 10 in yards so he is obviously getting the ball to the right guy on most throws. Did I miss when Tom Brady always throws deep or Montana, or Elway or Young or Aikman or fucking anyone else. I mean seriously guys wtf!.

For the most part I'm not bitching about Staff. He just needs to throw it down field a bit more. Keep the defense honest. He has the arm for it..That could be part Linehan though..

Last edited:
Since I was curious, I tried my own search for stats on passes that traveled deep (in this case over 15 yards). Keep in mind this is only accuracy.

Stafford
2012 - 8th 22.8% link
2011 - 31st 18.4% link
2010 - Not eligible
2009 - 26th 19.4% link

Career = 19.9%

I wasn't looking at accuracy but number of throws over 20 yards, complete or incomplete. I might have my numbers mixed up but you have to go down field on occasion. Granted outside of CJ I'm not sure we have a guy who can run a deep route.

I get the idea of stretching the defense. But throwing deep to Calvin is an issue because of the coverage he sees. The other receivers arent scaring anyone, and it takes Nate about 8 seconds to run a post pattern.

I think he could take a few more shots, but doing it often would be like running an All Pro RB into a 10 man box all game, pointless.

I get the idea of stretching the defense. But throwing deep to Calvin is an issue because of the coverage he sees. The other receivers arent scaring anyone, and it takes Nate about 8 seconds to run a post pattern.

I think he could take a few more shots, but doing it often would be like running an All Pro RB into a 10 man box all game, pointless.

Not saying 20 times a game, just a few. We need better route runners.

Is Willis on the Lions ps? Alot of people were high on him during the preseason, but I didnt get to watch any of the Lions preseason games.

Not saying 20 times a game, just a few. We need better route runners.

This isn't a video game.....where you can just send 4 guys deep, complete one of 4 and score 56/game.

You throw into double and triple teams in the NFL and you get picked. You get your ALL EVERYTHING WR hurt jumping up into coverage.....or you get him knocked out.

I would like to know HOW everyone who is saying "just try it a couple times a game" would draw it up? How would you get someone open deep? How would you draw the double and triple teams away from CJ? Nate cant get deep anymore. Broyles is an underneath guy. Durham is slow. Supposedly Edwards can really run. Haven't seen any proof of it yet.

Because right now, CJ is still seeing two and three man bracket coverage. People complain to fuckin much. Jesus. If Calvin hadn't had another "Calvin Johnson rule" TD taken away and gotten his 2nd foot down in the Vikings game.....we would be talking about a WR with 4 TD's in two games and a QB with a 6-1 TD ratio. Stafford is 11th in the NFL in yds/att with no deep threat outside of CJ.

Do we need another threat outside?? Fuck yes.

Until then, I'll take 14 more games of this type of QB play.

Is Willis on the Lions ps? Alot of people were high on him during the preseason, but I didnt get to watch any of the Lions preseason games.

He's been in the league too long to be eligible for the practice squad. I just checked and it doesn't look like he has signed with anyone else since we cut him.

Back