Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How Stafford stacks up though 2 games

This isn't a video game.....where you can just send 4 guys deep, complete one of 4 and score 56/game.

You throw into double and triple teams in the NFL and you get picked. You get your ALL EVERYTHING WR hurt jumping up into coverage.....or you get him knocked out.

I would like to know HOW everyone who is saying "just try it a couple times a game" would draw it up? How would you get someone open deep? How would you draw the double and triple teams away from CJ? Nate cant get deep anymore. Broyles is an underneath guy. Durham is slow. Supposedly Edwards can really run. Haven't seen any proof of it yet.

Because right now, CJ is still seeing two and three man bracket coverage. People complain to fuckin much. Jesus. If Calvin hadn't had another "Calvin Johnson rule" TD taken away and gotten his 2nd foot down in the Vikings game.....we would be talking about a WR with 4 TD's in two games and a QB with a 6-1 TD ratio. Stafford is 11th in the NFL in yds/att with no deep threat outside of CJ.

Do we need another threat outside?? Fuck yes.

Until then, I'll take 14 more games of this type of QB play.

You make it sound like CJ can't separate himself from coverage. The problem is CJ doesn't even go deep much. Give the fuckin' guy a chance.

And where's the stats that say INT happen all the time when you throw deep. Shut up about your Madden and auto INT that don't happen. Hell, Marino went deep all game. It happens.

And while I'm at it get some 15-20 yard routes. I'm not talking hail mary here just something other than 5-8 yard routes.

And BTW, Minny defense sucks. It was easy to move through them with short passes. Arizona not so much, Bears not a chance. Seattle/SF hell no. And so on.

Last edited:
4 times per game average in 2011 throwing 20+ yards
4.4 times per game average in 2012
2 times per game in 2013.

We'll see if that number increases and how successful Stafford is because of it. So far more deep passes, equals less success for Stafford

You make it sound like CJ can't separate himself from coverage. The problem is CJ doesn't even go deep much. Give the fuckin' guy a chance.

And where's the stats that say INT happen all the time when you throw deep. Shut up about your Madden and auto INT that don't happen. Hell, Marino went deep all game. It happens.

And while I'm at it get some 15-20 yard routes. I'm not talking hail mary here just something other than 5-8 yard routes.

Nobody can separate themselves from 3 man bracket coverage. There are reasons he doesn't run many deep routes.

1. We need him on the field at all times. Running deep routes wears on a guy.

2. He is the only guy the Lions have that gets open consistently underneath as well. Without CJ movin the chains, we'd have a LOT more 3 and outs.

How do I make it sound like he can't separate? Don't put words in my mouth. What I was saying is that he draws sooooo much attention even CJ can't just run straight and get open.

How would you get CJ out of the bracket coverage he sees on a play by play basis?

We'll see if that number increases and how successful Stafford is because of it. So far more deep passes, equals less success for Stafford

Proof won't help these fools LKP.

They pissed and moaned about Staff all last year and all offseason. He comes out in 2013 and shows huge improvements in reading coverages and not forcing throws.....and these idiots complain he isn't taking enough chances.

Guy could be Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Michael Vick and Peyton Manning merged together and they would still find something to piss and moan about.

What scares me is how bad the O looks without Reggie on the field. That, combined with his injury history, really points out the need for more weapons in the draft.

And the fact is there are some deep routes in alot of plays. Not everyone is running 2 yard routes. Stafford is just choosing to go underneath alot passed on the coverages. But the haters blame Linehan for that when there is several routes being run. Would you like us to not have short routes and just send everyone deep like in Madden?

What scares me is how bad the O looks without Reggie on the field. That, combined with his injury history, really points out the need for more weapons in the draft.

Broyles and Edwards (the supposed outside deep guy) weren't on the field either. Very small sample size as well to overreact.

Stafford is average 317 YPG as well and 8 Yards per attempt (the highest in his career). And 65.8% which everyone on here was complaining about his low comp % this offseason.

And we get really predictable with Scheffler or Fauria on the field field in lieu of Pettigrew due to their lack of blocking abilities. Obvious passing situations. Scheffler down the seam right into the heart of 2 deep safeties is actually a very bad idea. And Fauria hasn't proven jack. A short catch and a 1 yard TD catch on a fade. The Lions didn't have the redzone opps this past game for Fauria.

I'm not saying Staff is to blame, but when you have a 4th down the WRs MUST go beyond the down marker in their route, otherwise there is no point in even playing the down. Sure a guy might break a tackle for the 1st down, but that gets pretty dicey. Odds are far better if the ball is thrown beyond the 1st down marker on 4th down. Not saying odds are over 50% throwing beyond the sticks, but they have to be higher than throwing short of the sticks and hoping the WR can get the extra yardage.

That's on Linehan for calling up the play with routes too short and Stafford for not even attempting to throw to a guy beyond the sticks. A jump ball to CJ beyond the sticks would have been better even if he had 4 or 5 defenders covering him. You cannot throw short of the sticks on 4th down, that's just not good situational awareness by the play caller, the WR, and the QB.

I'm not saying Staff is to blame, but when you have a 4th down the WRs MUST go beyond the down marker in their route, otherwise there is no point in even playing the down. Sure a guy might break a tackle for the 1st down, but that gets pretty dicey. Odds are far better if the ball is thrown beyond the 1st down marker on 4th down. Not saying odds are over 50% throwing beyond the sticks, but they have to be higher than throwing short of the sticks and hoping the WR can get the extra yardage.

That's on Linehan for calling up the play with routes too short and Stafford for not even attempting to throw to a guy beyond the sticks. A jump ball to CJ beyond the sticks would have been better even if he had 4 or 5 defenders covering him. You cannot throw short of the sticks on 4th down, that's just not good situational awareness by the play caller, the WR, and the QB.

Every other route run on that play was beyond the sticks. It was a one on one matchup and Burleson lost the battle and let Mathieu inside early. If Burleson wins the battle and doesn't get jammed it's a great play call. That was not Linehan's fault. Burleson even admits this.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/09/detroit_lions_wr_nate_burleson_11.html

Last edited:
And if Burleson wins the matchup it's a great play call. Execution, not the play call. Plenty of longer routes, Burleson just didn't win his battle. 2nd down was a PI on Peterson anyway.

Well there you have it. An extra 2 times isn't much but IMO it helps, even if they're incomplete.

Broyles and Edwards (the supposed outside deep guy) weren't on the field either. Very small sample size as well to overreact.

Small sample size but we lost a game because of it..

Nobody can separate themselves from 3 man bracket coverage. There are reasons he doesn't run many deep routes.

1. We need him on the field at all times. Running deep routes wears on a guy.

2. He is the only guy the Lions have that gets open consistently underneath as well. Without CJ movin the chains, we'd have a LOT more 3 and outs.

How do I make it sound like he can't separate? Don't put words in my mouth. What I was saying is that he draws sooooo much attention even CJ can't just run straight and get open.

How would you get CJ out of the bracket coverage he sees on a play by play basis?

CJ had 2-3 guys on him all 2012 and almost got 2000 freakin' yards..You throw it high let him jump up and get it..or throw it short and have him stop and go it. Its not rocket science..

Back