Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Censorship.

Misandry Catch-22: if you feel hurt by it, you're not masculine enough for it to apply to you.

(Does this joke dip into toxic territory?)

T. Roosevelt? Doubtful. Too much of an jingoist-expansionist. But he did kill a cougar with a knife in 1901, when he was vice-president. He did so to save his dogs from potential harm.

And he gave long speech in 1912 when he ran for president as a thrid-party candidate, after being shot in the chest. (He told the crowd that he'd been shot and then proceeded with his address).

These days, no Republican former president would be esteemed by the Democrats with whom I am familiar, because they were privileged white men. Besides, there are already plenty of privileged white male Democratic former presidents to admire and regard.

I like Crenshaw. But I'm not a Democrat so that's moot.

T. Roosevelt? Doubtful. Too much of an jingoist-expansionist. But he did kill a cougar with a knife in 1901, when he was vice-president. He did so to save his dogs from potential harm.

And he gave long speech in 1912 when he ran for president as a thrid-party candidate, after being shot in the chest. (He told the crowd that he'd been shot and then proceeded with his address).

Reddit HistoryMemes (one of my favorite time wasters now) had a good one on this:

Presidents then vs Presidents Now

nsdi3soudlj51.jpg

These days, no Republican former president would be esteemed by the Democrats with whom I am familiar, because they were privileged white men. Besides, there are already plenty of privileged white male Democratic former presidents to admire and regard.

I'm a privileged white man, and (by default, I guess) a Democrat, and I like Abe Lincoln, Grant, and Teddy Roosevelt.

I like Crenshaw. But I'm not a Democrat so that's moot.

Losing an eye in war is a start.

Too bad he's followed it up with making that the basis of his entire policy and identity, the reason he won't debate any issues, the reason he has no policy positions other than whatever his ALEC handler tells him, and can only win in a district that is hilariously gerrymandered to neutralize the vote of liberal Rice University and the upper middle class professionals who live around it:

lossless-page1-400px-Texas_US_Congressional_District_2_(since_2013).tif.png

...they basically drew a line around Rice Village, and then drew it out far enough to include enough rural rednecks & ignoramuses to cancel it out.

I'm a privileged white man, and (by default, I guess) a Democrat, and I like Abe Lincoln, Grant, and Teddy Roosevelt.

Lincoln, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Harrison, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, and Trump are the choice of Republican presidents to "like". (I omitted A. Johnson intentionally, he was no Republican)

I think that Arthur gets some short shrift. He was an avid and consistent advocate for Black civil rights, even 30 years before he was president.

Last edited:

Too bad he's followed it up with making that the basis of his entire policy and identity, the reason he won't debate any issues, the reason he has no policy positions other than whatever his ALEC handler tells him, and can only win in a district that is hilariously gerrymandered to neutralize the vote of liberal Rice University and the upper middle class professionals who live around it:

...they basically drew a line around Rice Village, and then drew it out far enough to include enough rural rednecks & ignoramuses to cancel it out.

Westminster, CA, an OC town near Disneyland - hey, it?s a small world, right? - has an area called Little Saigon, or little Viet Nam, but I like to call it Rice Village.

Elbridge Gerry died a long time ago. How has his idea survived for more than 200 years?

Elbridge Gerry died a long time ago. How has his idea survived for more than 200 years?

Liberals keep bitching about it.

Except when they?re the ones doing it.

Then it?s the conservatives who bitch.

There?s an old political song I used to hear as a kid, ?Everybody bitches about Elbridge Gerry, though he?s been dead and gone, a long time, very...

That and the one about Lizzie Borden were my favorites.

Liberals keep bitching about it.

Except when they’re the ones doing it.

Then it’s the conservatives who bitch.

There’s an old political song I used to hear as a kid, “Everybody bitches about Elbridge Gerry, though he’s been dead and gone, a long time, very...

That and the one about Lizzie Borden were my favorites.

"You can't chop your poppa up in Massachusetts, etc..."

Last edited:
I’m wondering why in the name of God would Parler.com have ever contracted to have big tech - Amazon web hosting services - host their site in the first place.

I used to sell web services to people who wanted to host websites in their mother’s garages or basements.

I couldn’t do it, but tech nerds can do it until the cows come home.

Self hosting for not quite dummies.

Last edited:
I?m wondering why in the name of God would Parler.com have ever contracted to have big tech - Amazon web hosting services - host their site in the first place.

Maybe they are as confused and ignorant of the 1st amendment as the people that frequent their site. Thought they were untouchable.

The Pirate Bay has managed to stay online for years with the music and movie industries breathing down their neck. It's very doable, just as you said.

Maybe they are as confused and ignorant of the 1st amendment as the people that frequent their site. Thought they were untouchable.

The Pirate Bay has managed to stay online for years with the music and movie industries breathing down their neck. It's very doable, just as you said.

It would seem unbelievable that they would set themselves up to be “deplatformed” by a big tech hosting service while knowing how relatively easy self-hosting would have been, which probably 99% of the population is completely unaware of, as a political stunt, wouldn’t it?

Nah.

Conservatives don’t play those games.

Last edited:
It would seem unbelievable that they would set themselves up to be ?deplatformed? by a big tech hosting service while knowing how relatively easy self-hosting would have been, which probably 99% of the population is completely unaware of, as a political stunt, wouldn?t it?

Nah.

Conservatives don?t play those games.

Do you think this was always a short term project? Maybe even a test of sorts? Cause nothing else makes sense that I can think of.

Do you think this was always a short term project? Maybe even a test of sorts? Cause nothing else makes sense that I can think of.

It seems it’s been around a couple years.

I am a unicorn, a rare combination of a neophyte and a dinosaur. Or maybe that’s what both terms mean I don’t know.

When I started getting onto the Internet, I guess just before 2000, I would just put the URL into my web browser.

A couple days ago I got on the parler doing that. Now I can’t. I’m hearing in the news something about the inability to access the parler without the app. Ironically, while I make my living using apps, the only thing I know about apps are the ones that I use to make my living.

But parler can survive on its own if it just self hosts. I do know that. It’s a little hard for me to believe that conservative pundits on the radio know less than I do.

Last edited:

It might be related to how QAnon got so big and conspiracy stuff in general. If you are willing to rely on these big companies, tech has lowered the bar for people to get their message out so much that even determined idiots can create a platform of significant size.

Back