Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Censorship.

I?m wondering why in the name of God would Parler.com have ever contracted to have big tech - Amazon web hosting services - host their site in the first place.

I used to sell web services to people who wanted to host websites in their mother?s garages or basements.

I couldn?t do it, but tech nerds can do it until the cows come home.

Self hosting for not quite dummies.

It's extremely difficult to avoid using AWS these days, especially if you're trying to scale up in size and traffic.

They host things for very cheap. Owning your own servers is expensive by comparison.

And even if your site is on your own servers or at least non-AWS servers, chances are good that key software-as-a-service your site operates on will be using AWS, so you really, really can't avoid it.

I did a couple web searches and it looks like AWS may have over half of all hosted web traffic or hosting capacity, which for all practical purposes gives it a ton of market power to essentially set prices and force others out of the business.

It's extremely difficult to avoid using AWS these days, especially if you're trying to scale up in size and traffic.

They host things for very cheap. Owning your own servers is expensive by comparison.

And even if your site is on your own servers or at least non-AWS servers, chances are good that key software-as-a-service your site operates on will be using AWS, so you really, really can't avoid it.

I did a couple web searches and it looks like AWS may have over half of all hosted web traffic or hosting capacity, which for all practical purposes gives it a ton of market power to essentially set prices and force others out of the business.

Well, that ain?t the kind of ?can do? attitude I would expect from conservatives.

Well, that ain’t the kind of “can do” attitude I would expect from conservatives.

I can't find a lot about it's founding/ownership.

Wikipedia has this:
Parler has not publicly disclosed the identities of its owners besides founder John Matze.[30] Rebekah Mercer, an investor known for her contributions to conservative individuals and organizations, is a co-founder of the company, and conservative political commentator Dan Bongino has said he is an owner.[1][36] As of January 2021, according to Parler, the service had about 15 million total users.[4] As of December 2020, they had 2.3 million active users.[3]​

I kind of assumed the founders weren't really in this for the long haul... just wanted to quickly prop up a site to get in on the MAGA Grift train. So they weren't going to go out, buy a bunch of servers, set up a farm, hire front and back end developers to get it moving, and create a site... just get some free message board software, a little window dressing, click that AWS form agreement to host, and pay Right Wing social media stars a couple bucks to post on it and promote it. Easy peasy traffic.

Then sell digital ads and let the $$$ ROLL IN.

They are every bit as silly and superficial as Disney "influencers" and instagram models, they just don't realize it.

Did you see the way some of them got all dressed up to storm the capitol and pose for pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wikipedia has this:
Parler has not publicly disclosed the identities of its owners besides founder John Matze.[30] Rebekah Mercer, an investor known for her contributions to conservative individuals and organizations, is a co-founder of the company, and conservative political commentator Dan Bongino has said he is an owner.[1][36] As of January 2021, according to Parler, the service had about 15 million total users.[4] As of December 2020, they had 2.3 million active users.[3]​

I kind of assumed the founders weren't really in this for the long haul... just wanted to quickly prop up a site to get in on the MAGA Grift train. So they weren't going to go out, buy a bunch of servers, set up a farm, hire front and back end developers to get it moving, and create a site... just get some free message board software, a little window dressing, click that AWS form agreement to host, and pay Right Wing social media stars a couple bucks to post on it and promote it. Easy peasy traffic.

They are every bit as silly and superficial as Disney "influencers" and instagram models, they just don't realize it.

Did you see the way some of them got all dressed up to storm the capitol and pose for pictures?

Dan Bongino is a conservative radio show host. Former NYPD cop and secret service agent. I turn him off when he comes on the radio. Too angry. Angry partisans are no fun. Web shows his net worth $8 mil.

Rebekah Mercer’s father is the Cambridge Analytica guy - worth hundreds of millions.

Amongst them all, I suspect they could figure out a way to host their own website.

Last edited:
Dan Bongino is a conservative radio show host. Former NYPD cop and secret service agent. I turn him off when he comes on the radio. Too angry. Angry partisans are no fun. Web shows his net worth $8 mil.

Rebekah Mercer?s father is the Cambridge Analytica guy - worth hundreds of millions.

Amongst them all, I suspect they could figure out a way to host their own website.

sure, but why set up and host their own site when they're just looking to make a quick buck (and most likely did that already) from tigermud and his ilk?

sure, but why set up and host their own site when they're just looking to make a quick buck (and most likely did that already) from tigermud and his ilk?

I don?t know.

I had never heard of parler before tigermud brought it up here.

It?s been in the news now since the Capitol event.

But they don?t need Amazon if they really wanna keep the site going.

Wikipedia has this:

I have to say you, the guy who blames everything on capitalism and racism calling anyone silly is pretty damn amusing.

I don?t know.

It?s been in the news now since the Capitol event.

But they don?t need Amazon if they really wanna keep the site going.

Like black conservatives, they don't believe in what they're doing or have no real convictions - they're just in it for the money.

Like black conservatives, they don't believe in what they're doing or have no real convictions - they're just in it for the money.

Rebekah Mercer already has green internet money coming out of her nose and mouth and her ears and her...wherever. She don’t need no more money.

They know they can keep it going, and I’m pretty sure they will.

Why not milk the publicity? I would.

Before last week, our own tigermud was the only person who knew parler existed.

EDIT: Ironically, her money - her dad’s money, really - comes from that big libdem chicom Facebook data mining shit.

Small freakin’ world, eh?

Last edited:
Rebekah Mercer already has green internet money coming out of her nose and mouth and her ears and her...wherever. She don’t need no more money.

They know they can keep it going, and I’m pretty sure they will.

Why not milk the publicity? I would.

Before last week, our own tigermud was the only person who knew parler existed.

EDIT: Ironically, her money - her dad’s money, really - comes from that big libdem chicom Facebook data mining shit.

Small freakin’ world, eh?

OK, there's a chance Rebekah Mercer is a starry-eyed idealist. However, while she clearly is wealthy, she's no Walton so without knowing more, we can't say for sure it's not all about the Benjamins.

And not to take credit from Tigermud, but I've been aware of Parler for a long time now - admittedly, probably not as long as him. And credit where credit is due - I still haven't been to their site, so you got me beat on that score.

Last edited:
No to take credit from Tigermud, but I've been aware of Parler for a long time now - admittedly, probably not as long as him. And credit where credit is due - I still haven't been to their site, so you got me beat on that score.

Yes, of course I would have been 99% sure that you were aware of what parler was - I was being hyperbolic.

I did log on to it within the last couple of weeks. It seems in accessible now, but again I expect that to change.

Yes, of course I would have been 99% sure that you were aware of what parler was - I was being hyperbolic.

and i was being sarcastic. But I still haven't tried to go to Parler. I did close my Twitter account though - mostly because I was getting too many emails asking me if I saw tweets from people I follow. The purge was just sorta the push I've been needing to get me to do something I've wanted to do for months.

Edit: if I'm being honest, before the purge I was probably just needing a push to get me to change my settings so I wouldn't get any more annoying emails. After the purge, I figured fuck it, why even have an account I don't really use...

Last edited:
I don’t know.

It’s been in the news now since the Capitol event.

But they don’t need Amazon if they really wanna keep the site going.

I’m still always ahead of the historic trends you can’t deny.. when are you going to realize I wasn’t kidding when I long ago said I see future timelines, although I’m not always right, sometimes unexpected ripples occur, must be those pesky time travelers messing with me!

I probably won’t go back to Parler when and if it comes back up there were a few bat shit crazy people there no doubt I even came across one guy I’d even consider nuttier than Alex Jones. His name was Lin Wood, holy balls that guy is nuts.

In other news there is still a crazy theory being kept alive out there in the wild, you’ll have to become a c2c insider though if you want to know what it is. So far she’s 2 for 2

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2021-01-01-show/

That and according to michchamp I’m ilk

Last edited:
Tucker Carlson has been especially good lately you should all listen to him. He’s right. Skip Hannity he’s annoying

Tucker Carlson has been especially good lately you should all listen to him. He?s right. Skip Hannity he?s annoying

You mean Fox News the the right arm of the GOP. Where facts are secondary. They do believe inciting stuff though.

Back