Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jordan Zimmerman

If they stink and need to rebuild, it makes it difficult. Also, it will be hard to cut bait if he stinks. A few teams won't take on a "no trade clause" player.

Could the player remove the no-trade out of it in case we do stink for two years?

Can you cite someone recently?

Cole Hamels last year. He had a list of 20 teams but stated he was open to any trade and that led to the trade to the Rangers.

I listen to MLB radio during the summer and around the trade deadline they are always talking about players that would waive their no trade clause in their contracts for certain or any / all teams.

Cole Hamels last year. He had a list of 20 teams but stated he was open to any trade and that led to the trade to the Rangers.

I listen to MLB radio during the summer and around the trade deadline they are always talking about players that would waive their no trade clause in their contracts for certain or any / all teams.

The Rangers were one of the 10 teams (ATL, CHC, LAD, NYM, NYY, STL, SDP, TEX and WSN) that Hamels could get traded to, so he didn't have to waive the no trade. So he doesn't qualify. And my response, "generally no" still applies.

A no trade clause is a bargaining chip for the player. In most cases where a player waives it, it is in contracts dealing with option years. The player agrees to waive the no trade to a certain team, if that team agrees to pick up one or more of the option years. Players do not just waive the clause without motive and the union will definitely frown on it if the player is not getting something concrete in return.

Has a players waived a no trade clause? Sure. But is was either for the gaining team to pick up option years or to renegotiate/restructure the contract.

No option years are in Zimmermann's contract and most likely no team is going to want to renegotiate/restructure a bigger contract for him. There is a reason Zimmermann has a no trade for the first 3 years. It would not make sense for him to waive it unless he was duly compensated

The Rangers were one of the 10 teams (ATL, CHC, LAD, NYM, NYY, STL, SDP, TEX and WSN) that Hamels could get traded to, so he didn't have to waive the no trade. So he doesn't qualify. And my response, "generally no" still applies.

A no trade clause is a bargaining chip for the player. In most cases where a player waives it, it is in contracts dealing with option years. The player agrees to waive the no trade to a certain team, if that team agrees to pick up one or more of the option years. Players do not just waive the clause without motive and the union will definitely frown on it if the player is not getting something concrete in return.

Has a players waived a no trade clause? Sure. But is was either for the gaining team to pick up option years or to renegotiate/restructure the contract.

No option years are in Zimmermann's contract and most likely no team is going to want to renegotiate/restructure a bigger contract for him. There is a reason Zimmermann has a no trade for the first 3 years. It would not make sense for him to waive it unless he was duly compensated

http://www.knbr.com/2015/07/30/report-hamels-waived-no-trade-clause-for-giants/

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/topic/70...tigers-offseason-moves-on-high-heat/?c_id=det
Webvideo Avila on Tigers' latest moves. 10 minutes.
Tigers EVP of baseball operations and GM Al Avila joins High Heat to discuss the club's offseason additions, including Jordan Zimmermann.

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/v532522083/zimmermann-a-perfect-fit-for-the-tigers-franchise/?team_id=116
Webvideo Zimmermann on joining the Tigers. 7 1/2 minutes.
Dan Dickerson interviews the newest member of the Tigers, starting pitcher Jordan Zimmermann, who signed a five-year deal with Detroit.

So he waived it for the Giants and was never traded to the Giants. We then don't know what the conditions of him waiving it.

right...we don't know...maybe there were none. The bottom line is just because a player has a no trade clause doesn't mean he can't be traded, it just gives the player control where he plays. Hell, we don't know that he didn't take less money on this contract so he could have the no trade clause. It's likely that he did.

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/topic/70...tigers-offseason-moves-on-high-heat/?c_id=det
Webvideo Avila on Tigers' latest moves. 10 minutes.
Tigers EVP of baseball operations and GM Al Avila joins High Heat to discuss the club's offseason additions, including Jordan Zimmermann.

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/v532522083/zimmermann-a-perfect-fit-for-the-tigers-franchise/?team_id=116
Webvideo Zimmermann on joining the Tigers. 7 1/2 minutes.
Dan Dickerson interviews the newest member of the Tigers, starting pitcher Jordan Zimmermann, who signed a five-year deal with Detroit.

I see Zimmerman as someone who doesn't like to talk a lot, especially about himself (quiet, reserved shy etc.) .. I like that. The interview also reminded me how good he is with his command.

I see Zimmerman as someone who doesn't like to talk a lot, especially about himself (quiet, reserved shy etc.) .. I like that. The interview also reminded me how good he is with his command.

Yeah he appears to be a serious guy and not to be trifled with.
Sure hope he works out for us.

I like the Zimmermann deal. Only 5 years. His fastball velocity did drop last year, hopefully he is more of a pitcher than a thrower

Here really what wrong with the now two starting pitchers signings. By doing so the Tigers have taking themselves out of the running for a starter and there by cheaping the market. There by giving there other teams more money to play with for other needs!

Here really what wrong with the now two starting pitchers signings. By doing so the Tigers have taking themselves out of the running for a starter and there by cheaping the market. There by giving there other teams more money to play with for other needs!

Cheaper? Who's cheaper? If Pelfrey makes 8m, 21m for Zimmerman feels like a steal.

Back