Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign CB Gorrer

actually, i'd rather have somebody who plays nickle, who's familiar with the system and terminology, and can step in pretty much right away if needed, than an old has been who has never played nickle, isn't familiar with the system or terminology, and might not even have anything left in the tank (besides a familiar name).

now if we were talking about an outside CB, i might be all for the opposite.

Id rather address our needs in the draft and FA so they are up to speed by week 3 instead of trying to find someone off the street in week 3 and hoping they know the system and terminology. Considering Austin is a first time Dcord im guessing theres 0 people on the FA wire that know his sytem and terminology.

Ps....how awful must Jonte GReen and Greenwood be if were signing these bums that have no idea what theyre doing off the street instead someone who worked in austins system recently for months. Nice job mayhew!

Last edited:
Id rather address our needs in the draft and FA so they are up to speed by week 3 instead of trying to find someone off the street in week 3 and hoping they know the system and terminology.

Considering Austin is a first time Dcord im guessing theres 0 people on the FA wire that know his sytem and terminology.
first off, yes, hindsight is always 20/20. all teams what to be perfect in the draft and FA, but perfection is not attainable, ever. all teams sign scrubs to fill in for injuries, which aren't predictable, even in week 3 or week 16. just take a look at the NFL as a whole when it comes to transactions.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

you really think that Austin being a first time DC means he hasn't taken "his system and terminology" from his previous team? are you that dense? Gorrer was on the Ravens when Austin was the DB coach, which is the premise for the system that we run.

If you're not good..and clearly no one thinks Gorrer is does knowing the terminology really help? And someone posted earlier he hadn't played the nickel is some time.

If you're not good..and clearly no one thinks Gorrer is does knowing the terminology really help? And someone posted earlier he hadn't played the nickel is some time.
this is just my personal opinion on this matter, but it's a lot like asking "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around, does it make a sound?" (if Gorrer never has see the field, do we really care about how "good" of a signing this is?)

hopefully Gorrer never HAS to see the field for us to find out if he's good or not.

this is just my personal opinion on this matter, but it's a lot like asking "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around, does it make a sound?" (if Gorrer never has see the field, do we really care about how "good" of a signing this is?)

hopefully Gorrer never HAS to see the field for us to find out if he's good or not.

Maybe but I assume he will see the field..we seem to be low on CB. If he doesn't than I think I would have went with an aged vet who maybe could teach something..

If Cassius Vaughn is too banged up to play, then Gorrer will be our #3 corner against the Packers on Sunday...that's not good when facing Aaron Rodgers. The Packers run lots of 3 WR sets and we currently only have 3 healthy CBs: Slay, Mathis, and Gorrer. Vaughn will probably be able to play, but he sat out practice today with an ankle injury.

So things aren't exactly looking good on defense against the Packers unless we get a huge amount of pressure.

first off, yes, hindsight is always 20/20. all teams what to be perfect in the draft and FA, but perfection is not attainable, ever. all teams sign scrubs to fill in for injuries, which aren't predictable, even in week 3 or week 16. just take a look at the NFL as a whole when it comes to transactions.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

you really think that Austin being a first time DC means he hasn't taken "his system and terminology" from his previous team? are you that dense? Gorrer was on the Ravens when Austin was the DB coach, which is the premise for the system that we run.

its not hindsight...I said OT, DE and CB were our needs prior to the draft. that's foresight. and mayhew is foreskin.

Gorrer knows the system. Dumb comment by hughes.

that's what I said NO ONE on the FA wire knows his system and terminology. Gorrer is fucking no one. Will always be no one. Dumb comment by LKP.

Could this guy be in our plans now? I know, just sayin. Article says he's hoping to be cleared by August or September and we are there
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/6/25/5843060/chris-houston-injury-lions

This is the most recent update I could find on him:
http://www.kvue.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/04/catching-up-with-nfl-star-chris-houston/15088791/

The video is from September 4 (2 weeks ago). He says that he's started running "and hopefully in the next month or so I'll be back at it."

If he fully recovers, I'd be happy to have him be our #2 or #3 CB, especially in our current situation.

Back