Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mario Williams?

detroit1811

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=93&F=1801&T=8797335&P=1

Apparently Schefter said on Sportscenter the Lions were clearing cap space to make a run at Mario Williams? Anyone else see this?

I personally have been hoping they do this all off-season, but considered it an extreme longshot. I think he alone would improve this defense a ton and make out D-Line the best in the league. With the money they recently freed up they could offer him what he wants and then rescind the tag on Avril and we would have more then enough room for him.

I thought it was a pipe dream and it probably still is, but if this is true it got my hopes up a little considering Schefter is the best in the business, IMO. Franchising Avril is the perfect fall back plan too, because they can go hard after Williams and if they don't get him they still have Avril and if they did they could just let him walk. That or maybe Avril wants to much so they figure what not spend a few mil more per season and get a much better player.

I don't know guess its all just speculation right now, but its something to think about.

Someone else said this

Schefter back on, said the Lions have been looking for a way to bring in Mario by freeing up capspace and when it didnt seem likely they tagged Avril. So thats that people took it out of context

Still if we had that much interest in him where we were trying to find ways to free up space to get him you'd think they'd still be interested considering they have yet to commit to Avril. Whos knows FA just needs to start already my guess is we wait a few days and let the big deals gets hammered out and scour the 2nd and 3rd tier FA's along with some trades.

dtroitlionsfan951 said:
i would shit myself lol...he's my dream get..trade avril then?

well if it somehow did happen I don't know if we could afford to sign him and hold on to Avril to trade. He has to sign the tender to be traded and that would probably put us over the cap if we had Williams so my guess if they would just let him walk unless they have Mario agreed to sign and they trade Avril before they sign Mario. Who knows just something to chew on for now I guess.

Also this came out not too long ago

A "number of NFL sources" tell CSN Chicago that the Bears are considered around the league to be the favorites for free agent Mario Williams as Tuesday's 4PM ET signing period approaches.
The Bears are all systems go in free agency, and Williams would form the NFL's most dominant bookend duo in the league across from Julius Peppers. Ultimately, Chicago may choose between Williams and free agent wideout Vincent Jackson. It sounds like Williams is coach Lovie Smith's priority, and new GM Phil Emery's old team in Kansas City rarely spent big on wide receivers. While the Chargers, Patriots, and Titans have been linked to Williams as well, the Bears may be positioned best to land him. We should find out by midweek.

Still consider that BS just because they are not typically a big spending team and that would commit almost 200mil in 2 DE's when they desperately need so many different things (LT, OG, C, WR, TE, re-sign Forte, DT, OLB, S, and CB.

mario would be scary for the bears...but i think personally they would be more scary if they start putting something around cutler...

peppers and mario? First 2 rounds better be on OTs.

detroit1811 said:
Someone else said this

Schefter back on, said the Lions have been looking for a way to bring in Mario by freeing up capspace and when it didnt seem likely they tagged Avril. So thats that people took it out of context

Still if we had that much interest in him where we were trying to find ways to free up space to get him you'd think they'd still be interested considering they have yet to commit to Avril. Whos knows FA just needs to start already my guess is we wait a few days and let the big deals gets hammered out and scour the 2nd and 3rd tier FA's along with some trades.

How dare u suggest the lions go after "mediocre" talent at the 2nd and 3rd tier FA type! According to many on here, that would make you a moron. Just trying to give you fair warning.

zyxt9 said:
detroit1811 said:
Someone else said this

How dare u suggest the lions go after "mediocre" talent at the 2nd and 3rd tier FA type! According to many on here, that would make you a moron. Just trying to give you fair warning.

nah , what makes you a moron is when you suggest trading away the 3 cornerstones of your team.

And what makes u a moron is your inability to have an actual discussion without criticism or attempting to understand how a discussion works. I restated numerous times that I can agree the franchise qb would not be an issue up until their salary is around 25 percent of entire cap. Not to mention both staff and suh have restructured, indicating they understand need to have a complete team. I'd like to believe CJ will as well, but until the deal is done it is not possible to say for certain.

But go ahead and continue with your inability to listen or have a civil discussion.

zyxt9 said:
And what makes u a moron is your inability to have an actual discussion without criticism or attempting to understand how a discussion works. I restated numerous times that I can agree the franchise qb would not be an issue up until their salary is around 25 percent of entire cap. Not to mention both staff and suh have restructured, indicating they understand need to have a complete team. I'd like to believe CJ will as well, but until the deal is done it is not possible to say for certain.

But go ahead and continue with your inability to listen or have a civil discussion.

civil discussion about what fucktard ? something that will NEVER happen.

the Lions aren't going to dump any of the 3 for draft picks...it WILL NEVER happen...it's taken them 4 years to get to this point with a strategy they put in place...you don't all the sudden pivot and start trading established real good players for draft picks....lol

by your theory the Bears should be dumping Peppers and Matt Forte for draft picks...seeing how their past GM traded a bunch for a nothing more then decent QB

sure lets have a civil discussion about a scenario that has a chance of playing out until then say hello to MR Rourke and Tattoo for me.

So you want to dump a 5,000 yard in a season QB who's on the cusp of being elite, the best receiver in Lions history, and the man who single-handedly changed the attitude of a previously inept defense for a pile of draft picks which could turn out to be busts????

Where in the world is the logic in that? You draft players hoping they will turn out to be elite, and most of them don't. So when you get elite picks, you want to dump them and see if you get lucky again?

Wow.

SLICK said:
zyxt9 said:

the Lions aren't going to dump any of the 3 for draft picks...it WILL NEVER happen...it's taken them 4 years to get to this point with a strategy they put in place...you don't all the sudden pivot and start trading established real good players for draft picks....lol

by your theory the Bears should be dumping Peppers and Matt Forte for draft picks...seeing how their past GM traded a bunch for a nothing more then decent QB

sure lets have a civil discussion about a scenario that has a chance of playing out until then say hello to MR Rourke and Tattoo for me.
lmao dude...why do you even bother? lol

lp4ever41 said:
SLICK said:

lmao dude...why do you even bother? lol

you are 100% right...have no clue why I get drawn into this moronic shit.

zyxt9 said:

lol I have to say that this was stupid . then he comes back with im just trying to hold a conversation lol honestly trading 3 future HOF's just coming into their prime.. classic case of dude who smokes rocks

If a player is unwilling to renegotiate to help a team which is over the cap, you claim it is moronic for that team to trade that player for draft picks. I claim it is a legit OPTION for a team considering the reality that is the rookie cap due to the fact the rookie cap allows them to pay less for all of the multiple picks in the trade. Whether it is the Lions with CJ or another cash strapped team and their star player makes no difference. You guys are upset solely because it is CJ in the discussion (or lack thereof), but I am saying at some point teams will pursue this type of option.

As for CJ, trading him to position the Lions to get Blackmon is an option. You can disagree and say it won't happen and it admittedly has a very small chance. However, to be blind to the potential is laughable. It would provide the Lions a considerable savings with which they could improve multiple positions with minimal drop in production as most have equated Blackmon to CJ.

Without the rookie cap, such a scenario is not an option. With the rookie cap, it is. You don't have to like it, but the fact remains it is an option and at some point teams will pursue an equivalent tactic to save cap space. Is it a gamble? What isn't? Even keeping the superstar is a gamble because on any given play they can be out for the season. One more reason to put together the strongest team possible, to overcome the inevitable injuries.

murktastic said:
zyxt9 said:

lol I have to say that this was stupid . then he comes back with im just trying to hold a conversation lol honestly trading 3 future HOF's just coming into their prime.. classic case of dude who smokes rocks

Pay attention much? Obviously not.

Open conversations with a viewpoint. Regardless of how extreme the idea, there might be some part that has merit. But go ahead and focus only on the parts that don't as opposed to participating in a productive manner while calling people names. It is a wonder why people like you are able to function in society. This isn't junior high, it is a place to discuss options. Some are better than others, some are way off. Nonetheless, if you pay attention and engage in a dialogue you dlearn why the original thought was put forth and perhaps find that a piece of it has merit with which to build from. That is what normal people do in society. That is often what drives businesses to pursue new ideas, especially when needing to improve their bottom line. Often nothing comes out of the discussions, but people are nonetheless civil.

Back