Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

Tua is overrated. Herbert and Joey Harrington comparisons will happen too

Stafford for 8 more seasons. Will love every second of it. Then 13 years from now he will be in the hall of fame

if he continues the pace he is on, he will not be in the HOF. He will have some gaudy numbers, but without a playoff win under his belt...not a chance.

if he continues the pace he is on, he will not be in the HOF. He will have some gaudy numbers, but without a playoff win under his belt...not a chance.

Agreed. If Ken Anderson, Steve McNair, and Donovan McNabb can't get in with their numbers, I don't see how Stafford does considering they played in games that mattered far more often.

Last edited:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/career_av_career.htm

Stafford is currently tied for 218th in career AV

Now this will continue to increase as long as he plays (decently at least), performance is important but so is longevity for career AV.

That said, I count 10 active QBs ahead of Stafford on this list:

Brady
Brees
Rivers
Rodgers
Ryan
Roethlisberger
Manning
Newton
Wilson
Alex Smith

I would say several of the QBs ahead of him have question marks, though I will grant that Stafford is a roughly a handful of seasons behind some of these guys. That said, most of these guys have won something at some point, possibly even the main reason for that success.

When all is said and done Stafford *might* have better numbers than past HoF QBs, but comparatively in this era I don’t think the chances are good.

(I know this is just LKP being LKP, but I thought the info was interesting)

You can't use current hall of famers stats to judge if Stafford will get in. Just isn't the same game.

Stafford has the 26th best career QB rating among QBs with more than 1000 attempts. Sounds impressive...24 of those 26 played at least 1 year during stafford's career. 19 of those are still active. So among active QBs with more than 1000 attempts Stafford is ranked 20th.

In fact there are only 24 total QBs that were active in 2018 that threw more than 1000 career passes so Stafford ranks 20 out of 24.

This doesn't include Mahomes or Watson as they have yet to throw 1,000 passes.

Stafford doesn't deserve to get in.

Last edited:
I think Stafford will eventually become one of those unremarkable starting-caliber QBs who bounces around to a new team or two every few years...i.e. Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer

Tua and Hebert next year. Lawrence the year after. Feel bad for next year's teams that need a qb... everyone will drool over tua but he's overrated imo.

I caught a few games from Oregon and I don't see the hype on Hebert. I obviously didn't catch enough games but I came away unimpressed. JMO...
I actually thought Tua was a solid QB from what I saw. Gives me that Russell Wilson feeling. That cookie cutter QB vibe who throws up balls that have no business being caught but do and end being a 30 yd gain. Ya, that's Tua Wilson...errrr.

Agreed. If Ken Anderson, Steve McNair, and Donovan McNabb can't get in with their numbers, I don't see how Stafford does considering they played in games that mattered far more often.

That's it. Numbers matter more if you're getting to NFC Championship games, or a SB. Or maybe big awards like an MVP or 2.

That's it. Numbers matter more if you're getting to NFC Championship games, or a SB. Or maybe big awards like an MVP or 2.

But...but...but what about that Pro Bowl where he was the 12th alternate?

I caught a few games from Oregon and I don't see the hype on Hebert. I obviously didn't catch enough games but I came away unimpressed. JMO...
I actually thought Tua was a solid QB from what I saw. Gives me that Russell Wilson feeling. That cookie cutter QB vibe who throws up balls that have no business being caught but do and end being a 30 yd gain. Ya, that's Tua Wilson...errrr.

Yes, that cookie cutter QB who has a career 100+ QBR, won a Super Bowl, went to another Super Bowl, makes plays all the time, turns nobody receivers into players, led his team this last year with basically 1 or 2 playmakers at most to the playoffs.

If he's a cookie cutter QB, sign me up. Much better than the guy we got.

Yes, that cookie cutter QB who has a career 100+ QBR, won a Super Bowl, went to another Super Bowl, makes plays all the time, turns nobody receivers into players, led his team this last year with basically 1 or 2 playmakers at most to the playoffs.

Cool story

I have to agree. Russ is a much better QB than Stafford. Sometimes it isn't the arm, it's the decision-making ability.

Cool story

If you fundamentally feel that Matt Stafford is a better QB than Russell Wilson, then having any good arguments about QB comparisons is impossible. We have to at least agree on a bare minimum stance.

It's absolutely, 100 percent impossible to try and assemble any argument that Stafford is better. It's just not possible. I know you do not like Russell Wilson for some reason, but you have to at least concede that ground.

I have to agree. Russ is a much better QB than Stafford. Sometimes it isn't the arm, it's the decision-making ability.

I watch Wilson and it’s hard to argue that point.

So I won’t.

He is better. I don’t think he is MUCH better.... but he is undoubtedly better than Stafford.

Last edited:
If you fundamentally feel that Matt Stafford is a better QB than Russell Wilson, then having any good arguments about QB comparisons is impossible. We have to at least agree on a bare minimum stance.

It's absolutely, 100 percent impossible to try and assemble any argument that Stafford is better. It's just not possible. I know you do not like Russell Wilson for some reason, but you have to at least concede that ground.

Wilson walked into a golden situation with Seattle. Phenomal defense and a killer running game. He didn't have to do much at the beginning of his career. Slowly that defense has fell apart. Still has the #1 rated running attack in all the NFL. Weapons are limited and I have no argument on that. He's a good QB. I have never gone on record saying that he's a bad QB. I actually have put him and Stafford at neck and neck for most of thwir careers. I don't think one is particularly better than the other but I will say this. Wilson has had the easier road ahead of him. Later draft pick - no pressure, great defense, great running game. Only thing you can really say is that his weapons are not very good but players like Baldwin, Lockett and even a relevant (at the time) Jimmy Graham will tell you differently. Put Stafford in that ssme situation and I think he does just as well. Put ANY QB in Wilson's earlier situations and they succeed too.

im sure ill get flamed for this cause highlights mean shit....but i swear to god every highlight i see from Wilson is this beautiful deep ball that hits his guys right in stride vs a well covered cb and i just think...why the fuck dont i ever see our qb do that?

Back