Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

I want this to be Staffords last year in Detroit regardless of this year's outcome. Finger pointing year after year is pathetic, and the fact that he hasn't pushed this team to a single playoff win is unacceptable.

Last edited:
I want this to be Staffords last year in Detroit regardless of this year's outcome. Finger pointing year after year is pathetic, and the fact that he hasn't pushed this team to a single playoff win is unacceptable.
I highly doubt he has the type of year that makes an imprint. His stats might look good but otherwise I'm tired of him. I'm of the thought if it's not working do something about it.. And I'm tired of hearing lets see what the new OC does first.. He's our 4th. He'll soon find out what the first 3 did.

I highly doubt he has the type of year that makes an imprint. His stats might look good but otherwise I'm tired of him. I'm of the thought if it's not working do something about it.. And I'm tired of hearing lets see what the new OC does first.. He's our 4th. He'll soon find out what the first 3 did.

Yep, exactly where I'm at with him. I'm to the point that even if he got us a few playoff wins, I'd still prefer the team to move on.

Last edited:
Which team is going to trade their QB who is better than Stafford to Lions?

Draft a QB and it takes some time to learn everything.

He's not an elite type AB that can carry a team to and through the playoffs. He is certainly a capable QB that could win a SB with a great team around him. However, given his salary, the Lions would have to have 3 or 4 straight HR drafts to create such a team.

Which team is going to trade their QB who is better than Stafford to Lions?

Draft a QB and it takes some time to learn everything.
Not anymore, rook QB and certainly year 2 QB have done well recently. In the end I don't believe the Lions are even thinking about it.
And better than Matt is relative to who you speak too..

Last edited:
All I gotta say is, be careful what you wish for ��.
Good thing is, it's a loaded QB class next year.

He's not an elite type AB that can carry a team to and through the playoffs. He is certainly a capable QB that could win a SB with a great team around him. However, given his salary, the Lions would have to have 3 or 4 straight HR drafts to create such a team.

Been reminding you guys over and over again. Stafford's contract has not effected free agency for the Lions.
Why do people keep bring his money up? It's a non issue lol

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/

Lions have 26 million in space and made some huge signings. Lots of carryover for next year and the cap increases 10 million again for sure so probably around 18-20 million after draft, PS, to 53 man roster/IR for carryover to next year..

15 million right now (less 2019 draft so 8 million)+20 million+10 million cap increase. 38 million in space again even with Stafford at a 31.5 million cap number.

Big free agents for next offseason are Robinson, Glasgow, Amendola, Melvin, CJ Anderson, Christian Jones, Theo Riddick. Some of them can walk and Robinson/Glasgow shouldn't break the bank

Last edited:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/

Lions have 26 million in space and made some huge signings. Lots of carryover for next year and the cap increases 10 million again for sure so probably around 18-20 million after draft, PS, to 53 man roster/IR for carryover to next year..

15 million right now (less 2019 draft so 8 million)+20 million+10 million cap increase. 38 million in space again even with Stafford at a 31.5 million cap number.

Big free agents for next offseason are Robinson, Glasgow, Amendola, Melvin, CJ Anderson, Christian Jones, Theo Riddick. Some of them can walk and Robinson/Glasgow shouldn't break the bank

i could see literally all of them walking and us still being in a good spot. Glasgow needs to be upgraded.

Been reminding you guys over and over again. Stafford's contract has not effected free agency for the Lions.
Why do people keep bring his money up? It's a non issue lol

Its an issue when you dont live up to it. You could pay someone on a rookie contract to do what he does.

Its an issue when you dont live up to it. You could pay someone on a rookie contract to do what he does.

I don't know about that. I'd say 95% of rookie qbs can't do what Stafford is currently doing. I'm still ready for the Lions to take that chance on one though. Just because I'm ready for Stafford to be gone, doesn't mean I don't think hes starter quality. I'd even go as far as saying he will be the starter whenever/wherever he goes. I just think his time in Detroit needs to end. A fresh/non Lionized qb, and a change of scenery for Stafford benefits both parties imo

Last edited:
I don't know about that. I'd say 95% of rookie qbs can't do what Stafford is currently doing.

QBR.jpg

I mean, they're right there with him.

Hes a leader. proven starter. Great in the community. Team captain. All of that...i get it.

But you paid the guy top dollar to run the 20th ranked passing offense and 25th ranked scoring offense. That doesnt cut it...and yes...rookie qbs nowadays can do that for 100 million less.

If were top 10 next year with that draft class...i wouldnt be surprised if we go QB with his contract set to expire in the next couple years. Potential out in 2021 with a $10 mil dead cap hit.

Last edited:
Hes a leader. proven starter. Great in the community. Team captain. All of that...i get it.

But you paid the guy top dollar to run the 20th ranked passing offense and 25th ranked scoring offense. That doesnt cut it...and yes...rookie qbs nowadays can do that for 100 million less.

If were top 10 next year with that draft class...i wouldnt be surprised if we go QB with his contract set to expire in the next couple years.
I've seen better Captains. Leader, subjective. As for the rest e can do all that somewhere else. It's time to cut our losses.

Detroit Lions are likely tied to Matthew Stafford for at least 2 seasons.
Financially speaking, it doesn?t make sense to get rid of Stafford until 2021.
3-2-1... ok start bashing him.

After a subpar year in 2018, speculation was hot this offseason that the Detroit Lions may consider moving on from Matthew Stafford and draft his replacement as soon as this year.

Anyone paying attention to his contract situation knew it was absurd to think Detroit may move on from their franchise quarterback this offseason. But how long are they tied to Stafford financially? When would it make sense to move on from him if the Lions weren?t convinced of his talent?

ESPN posted an interesting power rankings of quarterbacks on Tuesday. This was no ordinary set of rankings, however. Instead of ranking by talent, they ranked each team by their level of commitment to their starting quarterback, based ?almost entirely? on contract situations.

The Detroit Lions came in as the team with the seventh-highest commitment to their quarterback.

?Cutting Stafford after 2019 would cost the Lions $26 million against their salary cap (trading him would cost $20 million), while doing so after 2020 would bring only a $10 million cap hit,? ESPN?s Dan Graziano wrote. ?Expect Stafford to quarterback the Lions through at least 2020, though he?s not quite as safe as the guys ahead of him in his tier.?

Graziano certainly has a good point. And the fact that Stafford has no real competition gives credence to their belief in Stafford. However, while they would incur $26 million in dead cap by releasing him next year, they would save $5.5 million. If Detroit struggles in 2019 and find themselves in a top-five pick situation in 2020, a discussion is probably worth having. But anything short of that, it?s probably safe to assume Stafford stays in Detroit until at least 2021.

POD

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tment-how-married-all-32-teams-their-starters
Ranking NFL QB commitment: How married all 32 teams are to their starters.
espn

Last edited:
Back