Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

Most passes thrown under 10 yards, last three years (reg season).

1. Eli 1125
2. Brees 1120
3. Cousins 1090
4. Stafford 1072
5. Roethlisberger 1031
6. Carr 1024
6. Flacco 1024
8. Ryan 991
9. Brady 935
10. Rivers 915

Most passes thrown under 10 yards, last three years (reg season).

1. Eli 1125
2. Brees 1120
3. Cousins 1090
4. Stafford 1072
5. Roethlisberger 1031
6. Carr 1024
6. Flacco 1024
8. Ryan 991
9. Brady 935
10. Rivers 915

That's the game these days. Short passes..

Last edited:
https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-fo...jaff&cjevent=78a0de93a75011e9834f00460a240614
Which positions do the quarterbacks target most often?
PFF

Matthew Stafford sure loves throwing to running backs.
PFF details which quarterbacks target positions most and least often.
While we know a whole bucket of factors play into who a quarterback targets, it?s still interesting to see the data on where they tend to throw the ball.

Pro Football Focus? Scott Barrett took a look at which quarterbacks target specific positions most frequently using data from the past decade (2009-2018) and likely starters with at least 800 career pass attempts. That came out to 22 qualifying quarterbacks. He notes that the findings are heavily skewed by roster talent the quarterback has to work with, of course.

For each position, Barrett listed the top five and the bottom five quarterbacks who have targeted that position most often. Matthew Stafford ranks fourth among active quarterbacks that targeted running backs at 22.6 percent. That?s likely due to fantasy gem Theo Riddick, but it could also mean something for Kerryon Johnson. Drew Brees tops the list at 27.1 percent and Aaron Rodgers ranks last at 15.3 percent.

The Lions quarterback ranks somewhere in the middle in percentage of throws targeting tight ends (as mentioned, Barrett only listed top five and bottom five). That may change in the future with all the new tight end tools, such as T.J. Hockenson and Jesse James, says our leader Jeremy Reisman. The top quarterback on the list is Carson Wentz at 32.4 percent and the bottom is Ryan Fitzpatrick at 10.6 percent.

Stafford also ranks somewhere in the middle in targeting outside wide receivers, the top being Ben Roethlisberger at 45.3 percent and the bottom being Wentz at 31.1 percent. He ranks among the bottom five quarterbacks who target slot wide receivers?eighteenth at 18.9 percent.

With all the offseason additions, it?ll be interesting to see how or whether Stafford?s rankings change.

POD

PFF has him 15th coming into this season

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-rankings-nfl-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019

15. MATTHEW STAFFORD, DETROIT LIONS
Perhaps no quarterback in the league tantalizes with high-end play as often as Stafford, though it usually comes out two to three times per season rather than an entire season at a time. At his best, Stafford makes throws with arm strength and accuracy, both on and off schedule. However, he’s only ranked in the top-10 in PFF grade twice in his career, and last season lacked the high-end brilliance from previous seasons. It was a much more conservative passing game last season and losing Golden Tate hurt Stafford’s production, as he ranked just 26th in positively grade plays, and his average depth of target on completions was only 5.1, the fourth-lowest mark in the NFL since 2016. It’s a tricky balance when trying to tap into Stafford’s strong velocity and off-balance magic while trying to corral him into a safer brand of football, but much like Cousins, perhaps an unleashing is once again in order to see if he can carry the offense on the back of downfield chunk plays.

I was told once that players know. Of course this was when Matt was the 9th QB. I disagreed because it's impossible for all players to know they either don't play vs said QB or watch film of said QB. But like I said I was told players know. They're players right.

So if you think players know then Matt is outside 15. If you think they know shit then #9 wasn't correct either.

Last edited:
I was told once that players know. Of course this was when Matt was the 9th QB. I disagreed because it's impossible for all players to know they either don't play vs said QB or watch film of said QB. But like I said I was told players know. They're players right.

So if you think players know then Matt is outside 15. If you think they know shit then #9 wasn't correct either.

I tend to trust an unbiased outside source, like PFF, vs players.

Of course someone like you doesn't get it lol. Good to see that you still own the jester hat on this board.

Stafford ranked #11 QB in the NFL by Head Coaches and top NFL execs this year. Fuck PFF. They're not part of the game like coaches and NFL Heads are.
I'll take the word of a guy that has his fucking nose buried in the middle of it over a bunch of shlubs over at PFF. It's not even close lol

Stafford ranked #11 QB in the NFL by Head Coaches and top NFL execs this year. Fuck PFF. They're not part of the game like coaches and NFL Heads are.
I'll take the word of a guy that has his fucking nose buried in the middle of it over a bunch of shlubs over at PFF. It's not even close lol

It's like the coaches poll in college football. They aren't paying attention to other teams unless they are going to play them. Same with Stafford...these coaches and execs aren't paying much attention to him unless they are going to face him. There are probably coaches and execs that haven't even broke down a single play of Matt's career. The nerds at PFF look at every play.

It's like the coaches poll in college football. They aren't paying attention to other teams unless they are going to play them. Same with Stafford...these coaches and execs aren't paying much attention to him unless they are going to face him. There are probably coaches and execs that haven't even broke down a single play of Matt's career. The nerds at PFF look at every play.

And Stafford's been in the league for 11 years. EVERYBODY has seen him lol. Coaches, players, NFL Heads....all of them. They know what he's about. It's not just based on pure talent alone. There are many factors that go into it.
Stafford isn't elite but he's still a top 10 QB in this league IMO. The "nerds" at PFF can say whatever they want. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but i'm going to listen to the guys that are actually part of the NFL over a dude taking a break from his D&D tournament.....

Back