Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

they beat 3 bad teams (NYG, SD, Philly) and tied another (the Cards).

The only difficult game in the 1st half that they didn't play in the 2nd 1/2 was KC

Was that staffords fault? Did he not have them in position to win those games? The defense gave them up am i wrong?

A good example is Aaron Rodgers, he literally had just as awful as a season as he did last year when he won only 6 games (almost identical. But now they are a top seeded team in the playoffs. What changed? His team was trash the year prior.

Last edited:
Claiming that a serviceable quarterback would have won the same amount of games is basically claiming the team was good enough in other areas to have won those games. So please don't ignore this question and point out to me the good parts of the team that would have won 6 games over the course of the season? Was it our outstanding running game or our lock down defense?

Claiming that a serviceable quarterback would have won the same amount of games is basically claiming the team was good enough in other areas to have won those games. So please don't ignore this question and point out to me the good parts of the team that would have won 6 games over the course of the season? Was it our outstanding running game or our lock down defense?

you don't have to be a good team, have a good defense, or an outstanding running game to win 6 games. Bad teams win 6 games.

No he carries a squad that can?t win a game to .500. This squad without Stafford could have easily gone 0-16. In fact they weren?t that far from it. They couldn?t even compete against the lesser teams like the broncos or bears for fucks sake. When Stafford went down he was having a career year and was leading the league in touchdowns as well as being top 3-5 in everything else.

What's the difference? Neither is a playoff team let alone winning a playoff game.

What's the difference? Neither is a playoff team let alone winning a playoff game.

Focusing on what needs to be fixed, it's obvious it's not Stafford and that is the point. If they ever give him a decent team like what a lot of these playoff teams have that go deep and they choke it away then fine i'll agree with you.

Focusing on what needs to be fixed, it's obvious it's not Stafford and that is the point. If they ever give him a decent team like what a lot of these playoff teams have that go deep and they choke it away then fine i'll agree with you.

how is it obvious that it isn't Stafford? What exactly has he done to prove he can carry a team? You are right...the team doesn't have a great defense, great running game, etc., but do you really think it's smart to build around him? He's an aging, above average QB, that's never won anything. The Lions have tried to build a team around him for 11 years and have nothing to show for it. Trade him and start over.

how is it obvious that it isn't Stafford? What exactly has he done to prove he can carry a team? You are right...the team doesn't have a great defense, great running game, etc., but do you really think it's smart to build around him? He's an aging, above average QB, that's never won anything. The Lions have tried to build a team around him for 11 years and have nothing to show for it. Trade him and start over.

This is his last run. By age 33 if they still haven't done it i agree. He could easily play another 8 years though. he's not that old yet.

This is his last run. By age 33 if they still haven't done it i agree. He could easily play another 8 years though. he's not that old yet.

you are right...he isn't that old. Here's the problem, if they make a little run with him over the next few years...let's say 8-8 next year and 9-7 the following. Then what? Do they sign him to a new $40M per year contract, because that will be the going rate in 2 years.

you are right...he isn't that old. Here's the problem, if they make a little run with him over the next few years...let's say 8-8 next year and 9-7 the following. Then what? Do they sign him to a new $40M per year contract, because that will be the going rate in 2 years.

Yeah after that I?d say let?s move on. I don?t have confidence this group will fix the defense or actually give him a strong running game.

the article has a good premise with the exception that Brady isn't the guy to sign. He is done. He is only effective with short, underneath passes.

The Lions should trade Stafford & Slay. I would think they could get at least a first and another high pick for Matt and maybe a first and lower round pick for Slay.

Possible landing spots for Matt
NE
Carolina
Chargers
Denver
Raiders
Colts
Tampa

Of those teams, I think the Raiders are the most interesting. They are moving to Vegas. #12 & #19 for Matt & Marvin Jones jr.

Slay to 49ers for #31

Lions trade #3 pick to Miami for #5 & #27

The Lions 2020 draft (the Lions' Super Bowl) would be awesome.

#5 Jeff Okudah CB
#12 AJ Epenesa DE
#19 Kenneth Murray LB
#27 Xavier McKnney CB
#31 Yetur Gross-Matos DE

:cheers:

the article has a good premise with the exception that Brady isn't the guy to sign. He is done. He is only effective with short, underneath passes.

The Lions should trade Stafford & Slay. I would think they could get at least a first and another high pick for Matt and maybe a first and lower round pick for Slay.

Possible landing spots for Matt
NE
Carolina
Chargers
Denver
Raiders
Colts
Tampa

Of those teams, I think the Raiders are the most interesting. They are moving to Vegas. #12 & #19 for Matt & Marvin Jones jr.

Slay to 49ers for #31

Lions trade #3 pick to Miami for #5 & #27

The Lions 2020 draft (the Lions' Super Bowl) would be awesome.

#5 Jeff Okudah CB
#12 AJ Epenesa DE
#19 Kenneth Murray LB
#27 Xavier McKnney CB
#31 Yetur Gross-Matos DE

:cheers:

Couple things....

1. Who QB?s this team? Brady? Lol. Not with that offense. It would be left with fewer playmakers than NE currently has. Brady was below average last year.
2. Does nothing to fix the Oline, which is average at best.
3. Does nothing to fix the running game, which is below average at best.
4. Who catches passes? Golladay would CONSTANTLY be doubled. Marvin Hall? Hock?
5. You fix the defense but cause major issues for the offense.
6. The problem with 5 first round picks is that they all hit their paydays at the same time. If they all produce, how the hell do you pay them all?

Last edited:
Couple things....

1. Who QB?s this team? Brady? Lol. Not with that offense. It would be left with fewer playmakers than NE currently has. Brady was below average last year.
2. Does nothing to fix the Oline, which is average at best.
3. Does nothing to fix the running game, which is below average at best.
4. Who catches passes? Golladay would CONSTANTLY be doubled. Marvin Hall? Hock?
5. You fix the defense but cause major issues for the offense.
6. The problem with 5 first round picks is that they all hit their paydays at the same time. If they all produce, how the hell do you pay them all?

This plan calls for a short term free agent QB or just roll with Driskel and Blough, suck in 2020 and take a QB next year. With Driskel or Blough at the helm the Lions would be in position to take Lawrence or Fields. The Lions would have rounds 2-7 to fill out some other positions including a WR like KJ Hill, a RB and OL. If all 5 hit, that would be a miracle and a good problem to have.

Anyway, I was just having a little fun. None of that is going to happen.

This plan calls for a short term free agent QB or just roll with Driskel and Blough, suck in 2020 and take a QB next year. With Driskel or Blough at the helm the Lions would be in position to take Lawrence or Fields. The Lions would have rounds 2-7 to fill out some other positions including a WR like KJ Hill, a RB and OL. If all 5 hit, that would be a miracle and a good problem to have.

Anyway, I was just having a little fun. None of that is going to happen.

Oh I know, but this is the time of year for playing the what if game.

It would be a good problem to have, but with the quick fix, Driskel & Blough idea you all but ruin Golladay & Kerryon Johnson prime years. You?re also going to have to pay KG here soon as well. Then you need time for rookie QB to develop....need to get him Oline help as well.

Unfortunately, there are issues with having that many early round draft picks in a 2 year window. How many pan out? If they all do, you can?t keep them all and you lose trade value in the ones you want to let go.

Stafford is our best option for the next 4 years, unless his health keeps him from playing.

LMAO, any serviceable qb would have done the same as stafford? You're fucking whack. You're forgetting the toughest part of our schedule was those first 8 games as well.

Also you must not have seen pittsburgh play with their backups. They might have been a VERY slight tick above what we had.

Stafford is serviceable...so ya...any serviceable qb would do the same. The offense was loaded with talent when he was active. We all knew the defense would suck...everyone.

Back