Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

2011, 2016, 2018 he played 100+ QB rating until injuries hit.

2019 he was over 100+

2011 97.2
2016 93.3
2018 89.9
2019 only 8 games played

The norm since Caldwell/Bevell is Stafford is a 100+ rating if healthy with average support. 2009 brings down his average. 2012-2014 Stafford was a good QB but needed that next step from coaching. And 2012-2014 Stafford had a ton of obstacles to deal with that Maholmes never had to deal with. He finally got it starting in 2015 and on and Stafford has been elite since then. You need to say it. Stafford is an elite QB

Elite: a group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group

Stafford's group is starting NFL quarterbacks. There are 30 NFL starters every year. Elite status is reserved for the best of that group. IMO that is usually top 3 or 4 which is about the top 10%. Stafford just isn't and hasn't been in that top 10%. I will give you good or above average but not elite.

is 105+ with incredible support around him. Stafford would have 150 QB rating if he was on the Chiefs team.

:lmao::cheers::bs::hmm:

Good news is the Lions should have KC type support in 2020 maybe better. We should expect Stafford to have a higher QB rating than Maholmes again.

KJ and Swift plus Lions run blocking better than Edwards-Helaire/Williams plus run blocking
Marvin/KG/Amendola=Hill/Watkins/Hardman
Kelce>Hock but Hock has the talent to close that gap
Pass pro for Detroit should be above average and for KC

Defense, Detroit made significant strides and should see a big bump in turnovers forced and more 3rd down stops earlier for better field position and more TOP available for the offense

Stafford>Maholmes in 2020 for a repeat. Can't wait

Good news is the Lions should have KC type support in 2020 maybe better. We should expect Stafford to have a higher QB rating than Maholmes again.

KJ and Swift plus Lions run blocking better than Edwards-Helaire/Williams plus run blocking
Marvin/KG/Amendola=Hill/Watkins/Hardman
Kelce>Hock but Hock has the talent to close that gap
Pass pro for Detroit should be above average and for KC

Stafford>Maholmes in 2020 for a repeat. Can't wait

Maholmes is 105+ with incredible support around him. Stafford would have 150 QB rating if he was on the Chiefs team.

well, anything less than a 150 rating will be a fail

I like the Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford and the "I know I'm overrated but I got paid" myth better.

those articles are just written by fans, right?

He seems to be paying attention to how good stafford is, how screwed srafford has been and how every othet great qb has good to great situations

Stafford will be a hall of famer

Last edited:
Typical everyone but the Quarterback is important to the QBs success article/argument.

If this is the case it's absolutely ridiculous to pay a QB big money, better off rotating QBs on rookie contracts every 4-5 years.

Weather we'd have better luck who knows but it'd be cheaper.

Typical everyone but the Quarterback is important to the QBs success article/argument.

If this is the case it's absolutely ridiculous to pay a QB big money, better off rotating QBs on rookie contracts every 4-5 years.

QB still important. However it shows its still a team sport and great QBs like Matt Stafford can have their stats not show exactly how great they are due to team or injury situations. And his QB rating since 2015 second half WHEN HEALTHY has been elite.

Maholmes has 108 rating in 3 years because the team around him really really supports him plus he is good. Stafford is great but the team at times let him down despite talent and at times (2011, 2016, 2018) Stafford was dealing with major injuries (back and throwing hand)

Matt Stafford is one of the best QBs in the league. He will be in the Hall of Fame and has been playing elite QB play since second half of 2015 when healthy/not surrounded by more injuries than other QBs (2018 second half)

Love this. Stafford is so accurate even if no separatiom

that is a positive attribute, but he also misses wide open players.

from the article

"And while Stafford?s overall accuracy last year wasn?t necessarily anything to write an entire article about?his completion percentage of 64.3 ranked just 16th in the NFL in 2019"

I'll take the higher overall completion percentage over someone that has success with tight windows, but misses wide open receivers much more than a top 10 QB should.

that is a positive attribute, but he also misses wide open players.

from the article

"And while Stafford?s overall accuracy last year wasn?t necessarily anything to write an entire article about?his completion percentage of 64.3 ranked just 16th in the NFL in 2019"

I'll take the higher overall completion percentage over someone that has success with tight windows, but misses wide open receivers much more than a top 10 QB should.

His completion % not being 70% might not be his fault. Pressure, drops, receiver wrong routes, just great defensive plays for deflections, still tight windows that go incomplete too. Stafford doesn't miss wide open guys very often. If he has tighter windows and is good at them but has them more often then it will affect overall comp %. You will say h misses often to bash him, but he doesn't and you have no support to justify him missing wide open receivers more often than any QB with context. Every QB misses wide open guys from time to time, you just only notice the Stafford ones for some reason.

His completion % not being 70% might not be his fault. Pressure, drops, receiver wrong routes, just great defensive plays for deflections, still tight windows that go incomplete too. Stafford doesn't miss wide open guys very often. If he has tighter windows and is good at them but has them more often then it will affect overall comp %. You will say h misses often to bash him, but he doesn't and you have no support to justify him missing wide open receivers more often than any QB with context. Every QB misses wide open guys from time to time, you just only notice the Stafford ones for some reason.

over time, every qb will have those things happen to him that impact his comp% in a negative way. With a large enough sample size, it all balances out in the end.

I notice Matt's because where I live, the Lions are on TV all of the time. I wish they weren't because there are almost always better games that aren't being televised locally.

over time, every qb will have those things happen to him that impact his comp% in a negative way. With a large enough sample size, it all balances out in the end.

I notice Matt's because where I live, the Lions are on TV all of the time. I wish they weren't because there are almost always better games that aren't being televised locally.

No it doesn't balance out. Some teams just get more protection every year, less drops, better WR routes and better WR separation. Some OCs call for shorter throws, some call for more difficult throws more often.

The "it all evens out" assumption is beyond stupid. You have to look at the specific context and specific situations all the time.

Last edited:
Back