Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

No it doesn't balance out. Some teams just get more protection every year, less drops, better WR routes and better WR separation. Some OCs call for shorter throws, some call for more difficult throws more often.

The "it all evens out" assumption is beyond stupid. You have to look at the specific context and specific situations all the time.

thinking it doesn't even out over time is beyond stupid. I'm not talking about one game, 1/2 of a season or even a few seasons. Trying to break down each play, each drop, each bad call...that's beyond stupid.

thinking it doesn't even out over time is beyond stupid. I'm not talking about one game, 1/2 of a season or even a few seasons. Trying to break down each play, each drop, each bad call...that's beyond stupid.

You should analyze everything. You are lazily assuming it evens out over time..it doesnt have to, far from it

Explain the lions run game. It hasnt evened out at all. Where are the top 5 run game years for stafford..show me. Evens out over time. Lazy lazy analysis by you. Real simpleton

Last edited:
You should analyze everything. You are lazily assuming it evens out over time..it doesnt have to, far from it

Explain the lions run game. It hasnt evened out at all. Where are the top 5 run game years for stafford..show me. Evens out over time. Lazy lazy analysis by you. Real simpleton

Pressure, drops, receiver wrong routes, just great defensive plays for deflections, still tight windows that go incomplete too

I was talking specifically about the items that you listed above...the "excuses" that you give to Matt as to why his comp% and QB rating over time are inferior.

I was talking specifically about the items that you listed above...the "excuses" that you give to Matt as to why his comp% and QB rating over time are inferior.

Not excuses. They don't even out over time. Some QBs have to deal more with more than others and more often.

For instance, run game. Where has this evened out. Saints and Vikings and Chiefs are running the ball, Lions haven't been. They haven't even been top 15 let along top 10 or top 5. This year better be the even out year then KJ and Swift and Bo leading a top 5 running game.

Protection. Has Stafford ever been top 10 most protected. I think maybe 2011 when he had a great year with 40 TDs.

Turnovers forced by the defense. There have been some good years and those years Stafford responds with good QB ratings and lots of wins. But I'd be willing to bet it's not top 20 in the league since 2011. Stafford has to do way way more than most QBs. Less short fields and no run game so he has to get all the first downs on long drives with a varying above average to below average protection and varying WR separation.

Last edited:
Quick example
Patriots defense forced 255 turnovers since 2011. Lions only 196. Difference of 59 turnovers

Brady 280 TDs since 2011. Stafford 237. Difference of 43 TDS

That is not a coincidence. An extra 59 opportunities can be a big reason why Brady has 43 more TDs over that span. Which affects QB rating greatly

When are the turnovers forced going to "even out"

Some fun turnover correlations too. Lions best year 34 forced in 2011, Stafford great rating despite injury, 5,000 yards and 40 TDs. Lions 27 in 2014, 11-5 team, Lions 32 in 2017, Stafford 99 rating

Nothing "evens out"

Last edited:
Not excuses. They don't even out over time. Some QBs have to deal more with more than others and more often.

For instance, run game. Where has this evened out. Saints and Vikings and Chiefs are running the ball, Lions haven't been. They haven't even been top 15 let along top 10 or top 5. This year better be the even out year then KJ and Swift and Bo leading a top 5 running game.

Protection. Has Stafford ever been top 10 most protected. I think maybe 2011 when he had a great year with 40 TDs.

Turnovers forced by the defense. There have been some good years and those years Stafford responds with good QB ratings and lots of wins. But I'd be willing to bet it's not top 20 in the league since 2011. Stafford has to do way way more than most QBs. Less short fields and no run game so he has to get all the first downs on long drives with a varying above average to below average protection and varying WR separation.

another example of you throwing the rest of the team under the bus to create excuses for your boy Matt. But in every other instance you say the Lions are a good team...even "holeless".

The truth is in the middle. The Lions team has always been average or below average and Matt has been above average to good.

well, we are 15 games in, and it appears that Matt isn't going to live up to the "top 9 QB" rating given him

#19 in QB rating 95.2 right behind Mitch Trubisky
#15 in ESPN's QBR
#16 in yards per game
#30 in comp % right behind Nick Mullins
#15 in TDs
#13 in YPA

Probably in that 15-18 range...not 9. Maybe they should change his jersey number to 17

well, we are 15 games in, and it appears that Matt isn't going to live up to the "top 9 QB" rating given him

#19 in QB rating 95.2 right behind Mitch Trubisky
#15 in ESPN's QBR
#16 in yards per game
#30 in comp % right behind Nick Mullins
#15 in TDs
#13 in YPA

Probably in that 15-18 range...not 9. Maybe they should change his jersey number to 17

It's better than the top 22 rating he's had in recent years. Way to improve from shitty to mediocrity matt!

His play is perfect qb rating esque..the team hinders his qb rating and overrates other qbs

His play is perfect qb rating esque..the team hinders his qb rating and overrates other qbs

of course. When defending Matt you throw the rest of the team under the bus. The same teams that you say were very talented. Good front offices, good coaching, very talented. 10-12 win floor.

:lmao:

of course. When defending Matt you throw the rest of the team under the bus. The same teams that you say were very talented. Good front offices, good coaching, very talented. 10-12 win floor.

:lmao:

That holeless team had major injuries and underperformred. Matt played like a hof qb

That holeless team had major injuries and underperformred. Matt played like a hof qb

the Lions had a normal number of injuries. No more than a typical team. Any decent team with depth should be able to overcome the injuries that the Lions had. The Lions have no depth and no talent outside of a few players. They are garbage.

Major injuries are what the 49ers had this year. A team that has a better record than the Lions.

Major injuries. Its not number. It is who by the way

Then throw on bad run game and terrible defense..no kg. Impossible for success for even maholmes or rodgers..

Back