Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFC Playoff Picture - 12/26/2011

Romneybot said:
The playoff match-ups aren't that important to me.

Would I like to see a favorable first round match-up? Of course

To me, even being a Lions fan and seeing no success for them in my life, there isn't much difference in winning in the 1st round and getting creamed in the 2nd round vs getting creamed in the 1st round. If they want to get anywhere they have to beat the teams at the top. If fans and players are satisfied with the first scenario, then they're doing it wrong.

In short, I don't really care who they play in the first round.

I rather win and then get creamed over, just getting creamed. One playoff win in my lifetime. And im 46.

Started adding playoff scenarios

Got a few teams down

I just found out the Lions could be screwed even if Seattle/Arizona and Chicago lose.

Incoming Nightmare Scenario...

Lions lose against the Chargers and Packers

Chicago loses a game
Arizona loses a game and beats Seattle or vice versa

Giants win both games which one includes Dallas (thus the Giants win the East)

Dallas beats the Eagles and loses to the Giants

Atlanta loses both their games

This results in

Atlanta, Detroit, and Dallas all 9-7

A 3-way tie between teams who aren't in the same division results in a tiebreaker based on conference record

Dallas would be 7-5 and would get the 5th seed

And I believe the tiebreaking procedures revert to the two team tiebreaker for the remaining two
Atlanta would be 6-6
Detroit would be 6-6

And Atlanta would have the head to head advantage

However if this scenario plays out and Atlanta wins one of their games, the tie will be between Detroit and Dallas, in which Detroit would win because of the head to head advantage.

Feel free to try it in the playoff machine http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Romneybot said:
Started adding playoff scenarios

Got a few teams down

I just found out the Lions could be screwed even if Seattle/Arizona and Chicago lose.

Incoming Nightmare Scenario...

Lions lose against the Chargers and Packers

Chicago loses a game
Arizona loses a game and beats Seattle or vice versa

Giants win both games which one includes Dallas (thus the Giants win the East)

Dallas beats the Eagles and loses to the Giants

Atlanta loses both their games

This results in

Atlanta, Detroit, and Dallas all 9-7

A 3-way tie between teams who aren't in the same division results in a tiebreaker based on conference record

Dallas would be 7-5 and would get the 5th seed

And I believe the tiebreaking procedures revert to the two team tiebreaker for the remaining two
Atlanta would be 6-6
Detroit would be 6-6

And Atlanta would have the head to head advantage

However if this scenario plays out and Atlanta wins one of their games, the tie will be between Detroit and Dallas, in which Detroit would win because of the head to head advantage.

Feel free to try it in the playoff machine http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Atlanta does have Tampa bay at home its last game and I am not so sure Dallas is going to win any of its last two games... Home verses the Eagles and at NYG.. Not easy... But yes you are right it would be a nightmare if this happens.

I just really hate the fact that if its up to Atlanta, Detroit, and Dallas...Detroit gets screwed if Atlanta doesn't win a game.

Seriously though, all the Lions need to do is win and none of this matters.

Because it'd be three teams which has a different tiebreaker, conference record. Dallas wins out of the three. Then with two left it goes head to head and Atlanta beat us so there it is.

Detroit clinches a playoff spot with:

1) DET win or tie OR

2) CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie + SEA loss or tie + DAL loss or tie OR

3) CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie + SEA loss or tie + NYG loss or tie OR

4) CHI loss or tie + ARI loss or tie + SEA loss or tie + ATL win or tie

The major addition is that the Cowboys, Giants and Falcons are now involved. If you're a Lions fan, the first scenario is the cleanest and most fulfilling. The same probably goes for bloggers, sportswriters and everyone else who would try figuring out their Week 17 scenarios.

Updated after the 1pm games

Arizona is knocked out and the Giants are still alive for the East.

Pretty simple now, if the Lions finish with a better record than the Falcons, they earn the 5th seed, otherwise they get the 6th seed

Updated after today's games

Fairly simple now

GB, SF, NO, NYG, Atl, and our Lions all are in the playoffs as it stands right now

NY Giants and Cowboys play next week, whoever wins that game is in and the loser is golfing

Chicago can still make the playoffs if they win this week and next week and Atlanta loses this week and next week due to the head-to-head advantage Chicago has

Atlanta can still get the 3rd seed if they win both weeks and New Orleans loses both weeks

Detroit is sitting at the 5th seed right now since Atlanta hasn't played yet

There are 5 possible 1st round match-ups for the Lions right now
If they get the 5th seed, they will play Dallas or NY Giants, whoever wins the East

If they get the 6th seed, they will play New Orleans, Atlanta, or SF

Is it better for us for the Falcons to win out and get the division title? Then we can avoid the Saints...I really don't want to play them. Falcons have Bucs for the final game, Saints have Panthers. So which one of those underdogs have the better chance of the upset? Trying to figure out which is the more likely scenario so I know what to root for...the Falcons winning the South or dropping to the 6th seed. And of course all this will be moot if the Lions beat Packers...which I'm still not holding my breath for...I think Rodgers still plays at least one half.

The way I see it right now...if we beat GB, we will be the 5th seed and play the Giants/Dallas (most likely the Giants). If we lose, we will be the 6th seed and we will play NO. I just don't see SF losing to St.Louis, so they will be the 2 seed. And I don't see Atlanta losing at home to Tampa. If we lose, we're going to NO.

manchild98 said:
The way I see it right now...if we beat GB, we will be the 5th seed and play the Giants/Dallas (most likely the Giants). If we lose, we will be the 6th seed and we will play NO. I just don't see SF losing to St.Louis, so they will be the 2 seed. And I don't see Atlanta losing at home to Tampa. If we lose, we're going to NO.

yeah, i'd much rather play one of those east teams.

5th seed could turn out nice. If we manage to beat Dallas/NYG and Atlanta can get by NO, maybe 3rd times a charm, then a 2nd round match up against SF would be a nice option. If that scenario played out, possible we could reach the NFC title game. At least thats what I'm hoping.

Updated

As of right now, the seeds that are pretty much locked into place are
1st seed - GB
4th seed - NFC East winner
WC seeds - Atlanta and Detroit

This week I'm a Rams and Bucs fan. Would love to see 49ers drop to 3rd. We have a pretty good shot at either Dallas or NY, and I think we win a rematch with SF. So what about their run defense...we don't run the ball anyway. I still don't think they can cover Megatron play after play. The ONLY teams I don't see us beating are the Saints or Packers. Hopefully someone can upset them.

Back