Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFC Playoff Picture - 12/26/2011

illimitabilities said:
brewer228 said:
Here is how I see it:

If we go 2-0 (11-5):
In Guaranteed

If we go 1-1 (10-6):
In Guaranteed

If we go 0-2 (9-7):
Only way not in is if one of these happen:
1)Seattle goes 2-0 we are out based on tiebreaker
2)Arizona goes 2-0 we are out based on tiebreaker

Since Seattle plays Arizona week 17, doesnt that mean we clinched today? Or am I missing something?

Doesn't matter, assuming the Lions go 0-2

If Seattle wins next week and beats Arizona they're in

or

If Arizona wins next week and beats Seattle they're in

Chicago is also still in the mix

Why not make it easier. Detroit goes 0-2 and Seattle and Arizona both win next week we're out. Not meant to be easy.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Why not make it easier. Detroit goes 0-2 and Seattle and Arizona both win next week we're out. Not meant to be easy.

not true. we have a two game lead.

we just need them to each lose a game OR we just have to win one.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="Mitch":qkisu9ah]Why not make it easier. Detroit goes 0-2 and Seattle and Arizona both win next week we're out. Not meant to be easy.

we just need them to each lose a game OR we just have to win one.[/quote:qkisu9ah]

They play each other week 17. So 9 wins for one of them and only 9 for us means we get bupkis.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Monster ":pbued0rx]

we just need them to each lose a game OR we just have to win one.

They play each other week 17. So 9 wins for one of them and only 9 for us means we get bupkis. [/quote:pbued0rx]

ah yes, i keep forgetting about that. BUT, if the winner of their head to head matchup loses in week 16, they'll both still have 8 wins. But you're right, of course. It'd be better if they both lost.

AZ is going into cincy and the seachickens have the niners.

so...we have good chances.

Just win next week and all is good. But SD has been playing well. Most of the year its been about Chicago or Atlanta or NYG or Dallas, it'd really suck to lose a WC to Seattle or Arizona.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Just win next week and all is good. But SD has been playing well. Most of the year its been about Chicago or Atlanta or NYG or Dallas, it'd really suck to lose a WC to Seattle or Arizona.

it's a home game, so that helps.

problem is if we lose, we go to green bay. I don't really buy into the idea that they might not have a lot to play for. Why would they want to let a division foe into the playoffs by laying down? we needed this oakland win as badly as we need next week. GB will be up and ready to play.

I'm also hoping Atlanta goes down twice here, or at least once. Much rather face Dallas/NYG in the WC round than NO/SF.

Chargers trounced the experienced and elite on D Ravens tonight, the Lions D are gonna have their hands full, 2 TDs rushing by Matthews...ugh.

Stafford, CJ, Burleson, Young, et al are going to have to be on their game to overcome Rivers and the Chargers offense.

Whether GB rest guys or not, we haven't won in 20 years in GB. We ain't winning that game.

Turok said:
Chargers trounced the experienced and elite on D Ravens tonight, the Lions D are gonna have their hands full, 2 TDs rushing by Matthews...ugh.

Stafford, CJ, Burleson, Young, et al are going to have to be on their game to overcome Rivers and the Chargers offense.

yeah, but i'm not buying into the chargers being THAT good.

The ravens have looked really good during some games this year and also REALLY bad during others.

Turok said:

The Ravens were missing some key guys in the secondary... I think like someone said the guy Rivers was picking on was a rookie in his first or second start... SD O-line is garbage... Hopefully Gunter will have a better game plan then the Ravens did..

Updated after Monday Night

GB still has yet to clinch home field throughout, so that should help knock the Bears out next week.

All freakin' day I've been thinking Seattle, Arizona - Arizona, Seattle. Most of the season we had to worry about the Bears and the teams in the East now we have to worry about these fk'ers :) just ain't fair.

GB having lost to KC helps us out. They'll beat the Cutler-less Bears - not that they wouldn't beat them with Cutler, just indicating that without Cutler the Bears have been horrid so GB really should be able to win that game with relative ease. For the Lions, this could be a huge plus because IMHO the Packers will not want to risk the Lions giving AR a concussion like they did last year as that drastically reduces their chances of winning in the playoffs. It would be Ludacris to play him vs Detroit with home field locked up and not playing for the perfect season. While I get they would like to take advantage of knocking out Detroit before the playoffs, the other side to that is they likely aren't that concerned due to the fact the Lions, Seahawks, or Cards have low chances of pulling off the upset in R1 and even if they do they will be going to Lambeau where Green Bay has to be the favorites by a considerable measure. And while the Lions are the division foe, it might be considered more advantageous to play them as they can more quickly prepare for them than the others.

Packers are also trying to get healthy right now, so they are more likely to lick wounds and come out refreshed for the playoffs. If Detroit wins Saturday, I could also see them doing the same as there would be little to play for vs Pack. That "highly anticipated" game could actually turn out to be more like an early Preseason game with a substantial amount of playing time for guys low on the depth charts, maybe even have guys from the Practice Squad brought up to replace someone who is "injured".

zyxt9 said:
GB having lost to KC helps us out. They'll beat the Cutler-less Bears - not that they wouldn't beat them with Cutler, just indicating that without Cutler the Bears have been horrid so GB really should be able to win that game with relative ease. For the Lions, this could be a huge plus because IMHO the Packers will not want to risk the Lions giving AR a concussion like they did last year as that drastically reduces their chances of winning in the playoffs. It would be Ludacris to play him vs Detroit with home field locked up and not playing for the perfect season. While I get they would like to take advantage of knocking out Detroit before the playoffs, the other side to that is they likely aren't that concerned due to the fact the Lions, Seahawks, or Cards have low chances of pulling off the upset in R1 and even if they do they will be going to Lambeau where Green Bay has to be the favorites by a considerable measure. And while the Lions are the division foe, it might be considered more advantageous to play them as they can more quickly prepare for them than the others.

Packers are also trying to get healthy right now, so they are more likely to lick wounds and come out refreshed for the playoffs. If Detroit wins Saturday, I could also see them doing the same as there would be little to play for vs Pack. That "highly anticipated" game could actually turn out to be more like an early Preseason game with a substantial amount of playing time for guys low on the depth charts, maybe even have guys from the Practice Squad brought up to replace someone who is "injured".

1991. They could play 3rd-4th stringers all game and I'm not sure I'd pick Detroit. Not in Lambeau.

With Detroit resting, if they win this week, depends if Swchartz cares about being 5th or 6th seed. Because with the Falcons playing the Saints, they could be 5 going into week 17.

I agree with Mitch... Just beat the freaking Charger and then we can rest our guys at Lambeau next week. The Lions would have trouble winning that game verses a High school team.. I don't want it to come to us having to win that game...

Something important that hasn't been addressed, is that we beat San Diego, and the Falcons lose to the Saints. That Green Bay game then becomes huge. If we can win one more game the Falcons, then we'll play the NFC East winner in the playoffs. And I like that scenario much more than a possible 49ers/Saints

scout said:
Something important that hasn't been addressed, is that we beat San Diego, and the Falcons lose to the Saints. That Green Bay game then becomes huge. If we can win one more game the Falcons, then we'll play the NFC East winner in the playoffs. And I like that scenario much more than a possible 49ers/Saints

I adressed it two posts up :)

The playoff match-ups aren't that important to me.

Would I like to see a favorable first round match-up? Of course

To me, even being a Lions fan and seeing no success for them in my life, there isn't much difference in winning in the 1st round and getting creamed in the 2nd round vs getting creamed in the 1st round. If they want to get anywhere they have to beat the teams at the top. If fans and players are satisfied with the first scenario, then they're doing it wrong.

In short, I don't really care who they play in the first round.

Back