Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official 2019 Draft

This isn't the all powerful ESPN lol but..

Here's a look at the Lions' 2019 draft picks.
1st round, 8th overall | T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa

Analysis: The Lions drafted a tight end high up again. Hockenson is not the athlete that Eric Ebron is, but he will be a three-down tight end that can be used in the slot or as a blocker on the line of scrimmage.
Instant Grade: C-plus
2nd round, 43rd overall | Jahlani Tavai, LB, Hawaii

Analysis: Tavai is a tackling machine, but here? Not a fan for the Lions with a need for receivers and so many available.
Instant Grade: D
3rd round, 81st overall (from Minnesota) | Will Harris, S, Boston College

Analysis: Like most of the safeties picked in this draft, Harris plays the first 20 yards well. From there, it's a crapshoot.
Instant Grade: C-plus

Yeah looks like a terrible draft on paper. I just don?t get these picks.

I wish he went defense at 8 or traded back and still go after a D player. Very few TE go this high because you can grab them later.

Going to update this as the day goes on for shits and giggles.

Players that would make me feel better in day 3 (which basically means we will not get these players):

D’Andre Walker - Edge - Georgia Round 5 Pick 30 Tennessee

Showed improvement every year. Has the athleticism to rush, set the edge, or even drop into coverage.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - FS - Florida Round 4 Pick 3 New Orleans

I think he's dropped a lot because of not having a natural position at the end of his Florida days. He bounced from FS to Nickel CB, due to necessity, and thrived where ever he was. Very aggressive, maybe too much so, but is extremely disruptive.

Mack Wilson - LB - Alabama Round 5 Pick 17 Cleveland

This guy is a project. Has all the physical tools to be a sideline to sideline guy. Seems to lack instincts and/or anticipation to be a reliable playmaker. Probably the riskiest of the guys I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions pick. Perfect for the late rounds.

Riley Ridley - WR - Georgia Round 4 Pick 24 Chicago

Calvin's little brother. Doesn't have blazing speed but has extremely polished route running.

Justice Hill - RB - Oklahoma State Round 4 Pick 11 Baltimore

Small, shifty back. 4.40 40 yard dash. Very hard to tackle 1 on 1. 41 plays of 20-plus yards at OSU. Doesn't project to be a 3 down back due to lack of size and poor vision.

Justin Love - CB - Notre Dame Round 4 Pick 6 NY Giants and Michael Jordan - OL - Ohio State Round 4 Pick 34 Cincinnati are other top guys that have fallen. I don't know as much about them. I was really hoping the Lions would grab higher ranked guys at those positions early.

Last edited:
Yeah looks like a terrible draft on paper. I just don?t get these picks.

I mostly made that in fun because I don't its a gold standard just because ESPN said it was a solid pick. I doubt many here even saw the TE play, didn't play UM in 2 years so all we have to go on what sites like ESPN and some mug like I posted above. I know it's all a wait and see but if you can't complain about draft picks in a draft thread where can you?

Like I said even if Hockenson becomes a hall of fame type player you just don?t draft a tight end in round one. The that is just me.

Come on, really lol? Even I'm not stubborn enough, even with my extremely vocal hatred of TEs in the 1st round, to say that. If Hockenstuff turns into a Hall of Fame tight end, I'll be the first person in line for my serving of crow, extra crispy please.

Listening to the radio a bit. They couldn't have said it any better. This feels EXACTLY like a Millen draft. Reaching for players that you could have likely had in the 4th and 5th round.

I wonder if the war room starts drinking after they make their first rounder, and can never figure out how to draft in the 2nd round.

If there's a franchise that has a worse history of 2nd round picks than the Lions, I'd be stunned.

Some of you guys, and you all will probably defend your cynicism, don't read most of the links I post here and in the Lions team notes. If you did you would see that not only the Patriots wanted 1 or 2 of the Lions picks, but other playoff teams, like Denver, Philly, Cincinnati because of the Lion's draft picks versatility. If you all want to call the Lions the Midwest Patriots, go ahead.
But the players they draft in New England from small college schools, and players you never heard of seems to work here in Boston.
I don't know if you read the Detroit media as gospel, I don't for either the Tigers or Lions. Just a couple at Mlive and one at the Detnews for the Lions. None for the Tigers. fuck the rest of them.
I also thought you're supposed to grade a draft after 2 or 3 years. Tabor and another pick iirc Williams are/were busts. Pats and now Quinn with the Lions believe in building from the lines out. All these f'n years of crap coaches and GM's now they come in and within the first year and second everyone wants to tar and feather Quinn and Patricia and run them out of town. Fuck that and fuck 90% of the Lions media.
Carry on with your cynicism and sarcasm. I already know who will be the first to respond.

Last edited:
Listening to the radio a bit. They couldn't have said it any better. This feels EXACTLY like a Millen draft. Reaching for players that you could have likely had in the 4th and 5th round.

I wonder if the war room starts drinking after they make their first rounder, and can never figure out how to draft in the 2nd round.

If there's a franchise that has a worse history of 2nd round picks than the Lions, I'd be stunned.
That's partial my fault I was a sucker for 2nd round Jerseys. And I jinxed the heck out of them.

Some of you guys, and you all will probably defend your cynicism, don't read most of the links I post here and in the Lions team notes. If you did you would see that not only the Patriots wanted 1 or 2 of the Lions picks, but other playoff teams, like Denver, Philly, Cincinnati because of the Lion's draft picks versatility. If you all want to call the Lions the Midwest Patriots, go ahead.
But the players they draft in New England from small college schools, and players you never heard of seems to work here in Boston.
I don't know if you read the Detroit media as gospel, I don't for either the Tigers or Lions. Just a couple at Mlive and one at the Detnews for the Lions. None for the Tigers. fuck the rest of them.
I also thought you're supposed to grade a draft after 2 or 3 years. Tabor and another pick iirc Williams are/were busts. Pats and now Quinn with the Lions believe in building from the lines out. All these f'n years of crap coaches and GM's now they come in and within the first year and second everyone wants to tar and feather Quinn and Patricia and run them out of town. Fuck that and fuck 90% of the Lions media.
Carry on with your cynicism and sarcasm. I already know who will be the first to respond.

Kaline, the Patriots owe nothing to the Lions. We are just trying to emulate them. There is no way anyone knew whether or not the Pats would have drafted these guys. I just know they are an incredibly well-run organization, the Lions aren't, and the Lions reached for two guys that were not a threat to be drafted until later. There was MUCH better talent to be had in rounds 2 and 3.

The problem here, is that Quinn said the Lions were already ready for the playoffs and that Patricia would be that guy to take them to the next level. Since Quinn has come in, the team has been basically stuck in neutral.

Last edited:

But I bet those teams don't pick a TE at 8. And Denver, Cinci - really? Gronk was highly thought of and was a 2nd round pick. Only a stupid franchise takes 3 top 20 TE's.

Kaline, the Patriots owe nothing to the Lions. We are just trying to emulate them. There is no way anyone knew whether or not the Pats would have drafted these guys. I just know they are an incredibly well-run organization, the Lions aren't, and the Lions reached for two guys that were not a threat to be drafted until later. There was MUCH better talent to be had in rounds 2 and 3.

The Pats have done the same as well with what media calls reaches. The media says great drafty Pats.
Lions history means when they do it, everyone goes berserk.
Quinn and Patricia emulate them because it worked there and they are drafting the same kind players here, captains of their college teams, High football IQ intelligence, versatility, and eat sleep and breathe football.

But I bet those teams don't pick a TE at 8. And Denver, Cinci - really? Gronk was highly thought of and was a 2nd round pick. Only a stupid franchise takes 3 top 20 TE's.

Yes I was disappointed they didn't grab a DL/LB rusher too, but now they have a solid front 7 when they go 12 personnel.
Look, there are still rounds 4 to 7 today.

And one more thing they can't emulate Tom Brady. People give the Patriots too much credit. Credit should go to Brady.

Yes I was disappointed they didn't grab a DL/LB rusher too, but now they have a solid front 7 when they go 12 personnel.
Look, there are still rounds 4 to 7 today.
Its great to be positive but the reason why the TE's we draft get shit on is because you expect more being a top 10 pick. They need to be good, really good from the get go. Not 2-3 years.

The Pats have done the same as well with what media calls reaches. The media says great drafty Pats.
Lions history means when they do it, everyone goes berserk.
Quinn and Patricia emulate them because it worked there and they are drafting the same kind players here, captains of their college teams, High football IQ intelligence, versatility, and eat sleep and breathe football.

The Patriots work because of two reasons: Bill Belicheck and Tom Brady. Those two guys make everything else work. Unless you have a hall of fame QB (which we don't), and a genius head football coach (which we don't), then you need to build a team to your own identity, not someone else's.

This team needs to find the best players available to fill needs. It just so happens that they had that chance with a TON of talent left in rounds 2 and rounds 3. They instead went for guys that really did not grade well and were adequate college players. And, for as much as Quinn talks about high character, it's incredibly ironic he found himself a pick that got in trouble with the law.

Until this franchise delivers division titles, and god forbid Playoff wins, and a possibility of a super bowl appearance my criticism of Quinn will continue. He is in year four. It is time to deliver not keep rebuilding. 24-24 and a playoff loss is not good enough. Hopefully I am wrong and will eat crow and all three picks will produce but on paper.

But come on two of the three should have been picked in later rounds. Play poker and try to get more picks. It sounds like other teams may have played nfl draft better then The lions this year.

Quinn
9-7. Wc loss.
9-7
6-10

Last edited:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...liar-boston-college-safety-harris/3587470002/
Lions have ties to Boston College 'tackling machine' Will Harris.
Detnews

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/04...lani-tavai-will-harris-c-picks-for-lions.html
2019 NFL draft grades: Jahlani Tavai, Will Harris ?C? picks for Lions.
Mlive

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019...explains-jahlani-tavai-will-harris-transcript
Detroit Lions GM Bob Quinn explains the picks of Jahlani Tavai, Will Harris.
A full transcript of what Bob Quinn was thinking when he made his bold Day 2 picks. READ.
POD

Back