Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Well, i just did a quick run through of picking games in the B1G schedule and I'm seeing 12-6

Go blue!

I expect Michigan to lose a close one tonight.. Assembly Hall seems like a deathtrap this year.. Probably more rabid of a place to play than the Breslin, Kohl Center and Ohio State arena this year..

tigers99888 said:
I expect Michigan to lose a close one tonight.. Assembly Hall seems like a deathtrap this year.. Probably more rabid of a place to play than the Breslin, Kohl Center and Ohio State arena this year..

I'm predicting a double-digit loss by Michigan.

Hungry said:
Well, i just did a quick run through of picking games in the B1G schedule and I'm seeing 12-6

Go blue!

Yeah, I can get up to 12 as well. Surprised me. I've just been focusing on January which is brutal.

MRI for Horford on Monday. I'm guessing this could be do or die for his prospects of playing again this year.

Well, nice 7 game gauntlet getting starts today. You wouldn't think to include today's game, but it is on the road and its just before the matchup with MSU. There might be a tendency to overlook an Iowa squad that has already won a couple of games that wasn't expected to.

Yep, definitely a trap game, but I'm less worried about those with this group that with any UM team in recent memory. Seems like I'm always talking about leadership, but it's going to be a shame losing Novak as a leader after this year. I really do think Burke will do a fine job of stepping into that role next year, and who better to lead a team than your PG, but Zack is one of those consummate leaders that don't come around all the time.

Out on a limb here, but if Vogrich can start hitting his shots consistently and gain some legitimacy I could see him as the gritty emotional sparkplug for next years team.

Hardaway on the other hand seems like he's always going to be a guy that needs other players/coaches to help him keep his emotions in check. Of course when he's on, his teammates will be able to draw energy from him, ala Manny. I just don't think he has the temperament to be a true leader. Which is fine, as long as he's not forced into the role, again, ala Manny.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of roles the new guys play. Could definitely see McGary being a leader with his hustle and intensity.

But yeah, stepping back from the future...what a fucking blessing it's been the last couple years watching this team play. We may not agree with absolutely everything that goes down, but these teams have played hard as consistently as any group I've followed and are extremely coachable. They're undermanned, defensively but constantly fight and really have done a hell of a job the last few games. After the bullshit we had to witness for a decade we absolutely deserve this.

(for the record, don't take the first part as me saying they're going to have no problem today. can't take any big ten game for granted this year, especially on the road)

DR said:
Yep, definitely a trap game, but I'm less worried about those with this group that with any UM team in recent memory. Seems like I'm always talking about leadership, but it's going to be a shame losing Novak as a leader after this year. I really do think Burke will do a fine job of stepping into that role next year, and who better to lead a team than your PG, but Zack is one of those consummate leaders that don't come around all the time.

Out on a limb here, but if Vogrich can start hitting his shots consistently and gain some legitimacy I could see him as the gritty emotional sparkplug for next years team.

Hardaway on the other hand seems like he's always going to be a guy that needs other players/coaches to help him keep his emotions in check. Of course when he's on, his teammates will be able to draw energy from him, ala Manny. I just don't think he has the temperament to be a true leader. Which is fine, as long as he's not forced into the role, again, ala Manny.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of roles the new guys play. Could definitely see McGary being a leader with his hustle and intensity.

But yeah, stepping back from the future...what a fucking blessing it's been the last couple years watching this team play. We may not agree with absolutely everything that goes down, but these teams have played hard as consistently as any group I've followed and are extremely coachable. They're undermanned, defensively but constantly fight and really have done a hell of a job the last few games. After the bullshit we had to witness for a decade we absolutely deserve this.

(for the record, don't take the first part as me saying they're going to have no problem today. can't take any big ten game for granted this year, especially on the road)

I hear ya and was thinking the same about Vogrich's potential.

Stauskus and McGary on TV tomorrow...

Friends' Central (Pa.) vs. St. Mark's (Mass.) (ESPNU, 2 p.m. ET).
Brewster Academy (N.H.) vs. Tilton School (N.H.) (ESPN, 4 p.m. ET)

DR said:
Stauskus and McGary on TV tomorrow...

Friends' Central (Pa.) vs. St. Mark's (Mass.) (ESPNU, 2 p.m. ET).
Brewster Academy (N.H.) vs. Tilton School (N.H.) (ESPN, 4 p.m. ET)

Okay, I've seen clips of this kid before, but WTF is this? Kid is unreal.

[flash=350,287:g00uazb4]http://www.youtube.com/v/qjMrpuH7JlQ&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:g00uazb4]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

There's a section towards the beginning here about Kevin Pangos, Canadian PG who Beilein was recruiting pretty heavily at one point. Stauskus' name also popped up during this period. I really really wanted UM to end up with Pangos at the time, and it looks like he's turned out to be pretty damn good. Not that I'd trade Burke for any other freshman pg in the country...

http://mgoblog.com/content/unverified-voracity-unearths-marsupials

From Beilein's presser, Horford will not travel this weekend, instead he'll do therapy. Signs that he may not be ready for a while. If he doesn't play again this year it sounds like he'll be able to red-shirt.

Breakdown stolen from umhoops. It could definitely be beneficial to have horford around in 14-15. That would be mcgary's 3rd year. They probably won't have any more room for 2013 recruits, so if mcgary leaves after 2 it would just be bielfeldt, donnal, and whatever 2014 true freshman they get for big men.

McGary dropped from #2 to #21 in ESPN's latest rankings, now a 4 star (top 17 are 5*'s).

Robinson jumped up to #26, Stauskus to #78.

Btw, the guy that McGary struggled with on ESPN last week, Nerlens Noel, is ranked #2 in the 2013 class.

in the middle of a 6-out-of-8 road game stretch, Michigan has a chance to go 4-4 if they can beat IU at home and then win at Nebraska. I know I left out some games, but I think that is their best chance in this 8 game stretch.

Watching the Purdue game now - what a tough win. The crowd was into it and with Purdue coming back from behind ten to lead by four Michigan easily could've checked out mentally.

Back