Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

man! Towson, Ark pinebluff, alabama a&m, and Bradley are some bad, bad teams. I guess you shouldn't have predicted bradley to be that bad, but those other 3 teams have no place on the schedule. Imagine what the sos and rpi and sag would be if they replaced those teams with 3 games against teams 100-150. Towson was part of the Maui tournament on the mainland, so i guess they got stuck with that game.

Mitch Mcgary breaks out of his slump.. Last three games he has had three double doubles in a row..

1/28>>>12/12 Team won 106-82.
2/1 >>>15/17 Team won 88-50.
2/2 >>>13/14 Team won 84-67.

Hungry said:
man! Towson, Ark pinebluff, alabama a&m, and Bradley are some bad, bad teams. I guess you shouldn't have predicted bradley to be that bad, but those other 3 teams have no place on the schedule. Imagine what the sos and rpi and sag would be if they replaced those teams with 3 games against teams 100-150. Towson was part of the Maui tournament on the mainland, so i guess they got stuck with that game.

Yeah, I was looking at it a couple weeks ago, Michigan had played 3 of the bottom 13 teams per Sagarin at that point. They need to do a better job with scheduling in the future. They're beyond needing a handful of 100% gimme wins.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Don't we have like 7 or 8 top fifty wins or something like that...

Yes, and that's huge, but playing all those bums drags the ranking lower than it could be. Say the patsies were ranked in the 150-200 range, Michigan's sched ranking would be even better, and they'd still be basically guaranteed wins.

Of course there's no way of knowing for sure who's going to be absolutely terrible, but it was pretty clear with those teams going into the season, and this has been a recurring theme over the past few years.

Michigan #7 in Scout's updated 2012 team rankings.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1156470.html

Other notables: Indiana #3, MSU #10, Purdue #18, Ohio #.........unranked? Not even honorable mention. Must have used all their money up to lure Urban Meyer.

Ha, just looked, that'd be because they have no commits. Guess you take your time when you've signed 6 and 5 players the previous two years.

Here's my opinion on this years team and what needs to be worked on.

Zack Novak:
* The leader of the team
* We can rely on him in lots of situations.
* He shoots the ball at great times and come through for us.

Jordan Morgan:
* When he get's a rebound, go back up with it. Don't dribble then go up with it. He might get fouled, but won't get the layup. He's not a great free throw shooter so it's not worth it to do that. Also a Guard could come up and swat it out of his hands.
* Ball control, not all passes to him are that great but, he still needs to hold on to the ball. Look for a good shot before he passes it.
* When going up for a layup he throws it way to hard off the glass, this can be easily fixed. Yes go up strong but not that strong.
* He is a good player, just needs a little work and he'll be set.

Stu Douglass:
* In my opinion doesn't get a whole lot of credit.
* He's a great defensive player and can keep up with the quick guys.
* He shoots the 3 very well, and has a good fake.
* When he does fake he like to dribble along the baseline, and make a quick pass out ot Hardaway or Novak to shoot.

Tim Hardaway Jr.:
* He can shoot the 3, but I don't think it's his best shot to take.
* He seems like a good long 2 point shooter.
* He has been streaky/in a slump but is a good player

Matt Vogrich:
* Is a better player then everyone thinks. He might be just as good as Douglass. He doesn't get as much playing time but he can really shoot the ball.
* He needs to build some confidence in himself to shoot more.
* He was 2 for 2 vs. Illinois in shooting the 3 and 3 for 4 vs. Nebraska.

Trey Burke:
* Probably the best players on our team
* He takes charge of everything
* Makes key shots
* Never gives up on a play/game
* One thing I could see needing improvement is, moving the ball around more and he did a good job with this the past few games.

Blake McLimans:
* Another under rated player.
* He's gotten more playing time lately
* A big man that can shoot the 3 is a key to having on any team
* He's not all that big, and not someone who can make a lot of contact going to the hoop, but is still a good player

Evan Smotrycz:
* One of the best players on our team
* He's been streaky but when he's on he can't miss
* There aren't a lot of big men that can rebound, layup, shoot a deep 2 and hit a 3.

Walton jr just threw down either a 29 or 31 point night and 6 rebounds and 5 assists the other day... 2013 recruit..Very nice..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Walton jr just threw down either a 29 or 31 point night and 6 rebounds and 5 assists the other day... 2013 recruit..Very nice..

Rivals just came out with their updated 2013 rankings, Irvin is 54th, Walton 87th, and Donnal 124th.

Definitely can't wait to see Walton come in to spell Burke, and even see the two of them play together at times.

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Walton jr just threw down either a 29 or 31 point night and 6 rebounds and 5 assists the other day... 2013 recruit..Very nice..

Rivals just came out with their updated 2013 rankings, Irvin is 54th, Walton 87th, and Donnal 124th.

Definitely can't wait to see Walton come in to spell Burke, and even see the two of them play together at times.

Darn it i could have gone to that game. it was at Ottawa Hills here in GR... Walton's team lost 64-53 but he scored over half of their points..

Michigan Hunting Another 5-Star Big Man

By Josh Newkirk
GoBlueWolverine.com
Posted Feb 15, 2012

The second leg of GBW

from sam webb....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOADED hoops visit weekend...

I just heard today that the five-star big man we made it out to see this weekend... Chicago Curie 2014 C Cliff Alexander is slated to be in town Saturday. (He was part two of Josh's basketball road trip last weekend. Sean O'mara was part one... and was poisted yesterday. I'll post Alexander a little later this afternoon).

I just heard that former Grandville (MI) standout and current Moss Point, MS star Devon Booker (2014) is a possible attendee. His team lost it's playoff match-up last night with John Beilein and Bacari Alexander looking on.

We went to see ('14) Tyler Wideman, Glenn Robinson, and Zak Irvin the weekend before last and they all said they'd be in attendance..

Mark Donnal, Derrick Walton, and Austin Hatch slated to be in the house.

The the freshman sensation we profiled down at the Super Showcase... Luke Kennard is slated to make his way up also - for those that need a refresher... here's the link http://michigan.scout.com/2/1089746.html

More names as we get them

-------------------------------------------------

I hope the crowd recognizes Austin and gives him his due.

Good to hear about Hatch. Also, wow, I'm glad beilein is going after the big guys now. I'd be sick to my stomach if sparty or ohio gets that kid.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]Good to hear about Hatch. Also, wow, I'm glad beilein is going after the big guys now. I'd be sick to my stomach if sparty or ohio gets that kid.

At first I was a little worried about his "run nonstop" comment, but Beilein definitely isn't afraid to let his team run when it's there, and when he has an athlete like Robinson on the wing, and guards like Burke and Walton to push it, that may become a bigger part of their game. I hope so at least.

I just checked the setup for the new 12 team B1G Tournament. Top 4 seeds get a bye. It sure will be nice not having the...do we want a bye, or a first round matchup with a patsy to pad the win total...argument this year!

DR said:
I just checked the setup for the new 12 team B1G Tournament. Top 4 seeds get a bye. It sure will be nice not having the...do we want a bye, or a first round matchup with a patsy to pad the win total...argument this year!

i was just thinking the same thing last night

Back