Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

I could see that. They were very dependent on him.

I honestly believe most of us are pretty anxious about next year because so much is unknown. Irvin and Walton haven't hit the level we all hoped for and we don't really have a major immediate impact guy coming in. We could be scrapping for a tourney spot again.

However, we could see major improvements from Wagner, Rahk, Robinson and Wilson. That would make the team really solid. Plus, no more Dakich if our PGs stay healthy!

The past two years had such great expectations that were met with frustrating injuries, disappointment, recruiting busts, and some truly embarrassing blowouts. I think that's why some of us lean to the pessimistic side even though there are some reasons for optimism.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No doubt it takes some blind faith to see them reaching the upper levels of expectations. There are just so many X factors that have to go right.

Will we see the efficient versions of Walton and Irvin that they've flashed from time to time?

Will Simpson be ready to step in and be the alpha, which I believe is needed in spite of having two seniors with a ton of experience?

Will we see real improvements in defense and toughness in year one with Donlon on the staff, or will it be a longer process?

Will Wagner continue to develop and turn into a star?

Will Watson be able to contribute immediately and solidify the 2-deep at guard?

Will one of the freshmen bigs be able to provide solid depth at Center?

If all of those things happen this could be a damn good team. But yeah. That's asking a lot.

Some of the only things I feel pretty comfortable with are moderate improvements from MAAR and Robinson - which is a-ok with me. To me those guys will be the rocks that the team will be able to depend on, from a shot creation and shot making standpoint. Donnal will produce at a B+ level against bad teams and a C level against good teams. And the last is that DJ Wilson will disappoint. Sorry.

Last edited:
No doubt it takes some blind faith to see them reaching the upper levels of expectations. There are just so many X factors that have to go right.

Will we see the efficient versions of Walton and Irvin that they've flashed from time to time?

Will Simpson be ready to step in and be the alpha, which I believe is needed in spite of having two seniors with a ton of experience?

Will we see real improvements in defense and toughness in year one with Donlon on the staff, or will it be a longer process?

Will Wagner continue to develop and turn into a star?

Will Watson be able to contribute immediately and solidify the 2-deep at guard?

Will one of the freshmen bigs be able to provide solid depth at Center?

If all of those things happen this could be a damn good team. But yeah. That's asking a lot.

Some of the only things I feel pretty comfortable with are moderate improvements from MAAR and Robinson - which is a-ok with me. To me those guys will be the rocks that the team will be able to depend on, from a shot creation and shot making standpoint. Donnal will produce at a B+ level against bad teams and a C level against good teams. And the last is that DJ Wilson will disappoint. Sorry.

I think Rahk can be really dangerous if he finds consistency with his 3-point shot. If/when defenders have to respect that, he will be our best offensive option. I am hopeful Duncan can improve his ball handling enough to become a part of our pick and roll game. 6'8" allows for a lot of opportunities for good looks (shooting & distributing) in the pick and roll.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on Wilson. I am still holding out some blind hope that he makes a leap this year. It definitely is blind hope because what I have seen so far does not inspire confidence.

I think Rahk can be really dangerous if he finds consistency with his 3-point shot. If/when defenders have to respect that, he will be our best offensive option. I am hopeful Duncan can improve his ball handling enough to become a part of our pick and roll game. 6'8" allows for a lot of opportunities for good looks (shooting & distributing) in the pick and roll.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on Wilson. I am still holding out some blind hope that he makes a leap this year. It definitely is blind hope because what I have seen so far does not inspire confidence.

Yep, if defenders had to worry about closing harder on Rahkman that would make him even more dangerous. He's pretty close as it is, shooting 36.5%. If he can bump that up to 40% I'd be thrilled. I do think there's a slight limitation on how good he'll be since it seems like he struggles with thinking on the fly. When he sets his mind on something that's what he's going to do. The good part is that he's like a bull and usually accomplishes it, but the downside is he might not always take what the defense gives him. We'll see though, if he does make that leap then we've really got something.

I was surprised they didn't use Robinson in the pick and roll game more last year. I guess they probably spent so much time focusing on getting him spot up and curl opportunities that it would have been overkill to incorporate the pick and roll as well. But that's a good call, and something I'll be looking for early in the season.

Dumb deaf and blind. But if it does somehow click for Wilson, his skillset and length is pretty much the best case scenario for a Beilein 4.

Last edited:
I was looking through the record books and a couple things shocked the hell out of me.

20% of UM teams that made the NCAA tournament have been coached by John Beilein.

20% of UM's NCAA tournament wins have come under Beilein.

Next year will be his 10th season at Michigan, 2nd most among UM bball coaches (six others coached 8-9 years).

I'm really not trying to make a larger point, that just seems crazy.

Well, Harold Baruti has chosen to attend Utah. As far as I know, he never received a Michigan offer.

Big10 Schedule announced...Non-conference almost finished

http://www.umhoops.com/2016/06/20/2016-17-big-ten-opponents-announced/

Double plays: Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
Home only: Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State and Purdue
Road only: Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern and Rutgers

stinks to miss out on games with Mn, Northwestern, Penn St, and Rutgers...easy wins usually

Not visiting Maryland and C-bus is nice, though

Big10 Schedule announced...Non-conference almost finished

http://www.umhoops.com/2016/06/20/2016-17-big-ten-opponents-announced/

Double plays: Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
Home only: Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State and Purdue
Road only: Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern and Rutgers

stinks to miss out on games with Mn, Northwestern, Penn St, and Rutgers...easy wins usually

Not visiting Maryland and C-bus is nice, though

Road only games are good. I know we don't get those chumps at home, but going to NW and Rutgers is not a big deal.

Penn State may actually be pretty good this year. Good class coming in. Minnesota was really young last year, so they may really improve.

https://twitter.com/umhoops/status/748910178964213760

Simpson listed at 6-0, 180; Watson 6-5, 185; Teske 7-0, 245; Davis 6-10, 240

"My man Moe Wagner came in at 6'11" 211lbs this time last year. #238.6lbs "

Teske 7-0 245 lbs
Davis 6-10 240 lbs
Wagner 6-11 239 lbs

Sounds like a lot more height and weight coming into this season that previously. They have time to get even larger...

Last edited:
New unis are classic.
7b69b716bf57d3fe7590d6236c3e1c2f.jpg
76f349749f0a47dc3184c886a71322fd.jpg
ed0670d1fba80d6e6977c8319ffc61b8.jpg
1d53a467756c6d4a340a969bbf0a2693.jpg
39d18c4fe6e8162a6a21941632a394a4.jpg
db4849b6042ac4d5f73d22a303faa6e0.jpg
b11158ea9ecb55e9ae9bb53e759de0ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yep! We're unveiling uniforms....MSU is landing 2 5* recruits...

*sigh*

Media Day: http://www.umhoops.com/2016/10/04/five-takeaways-michigan-media-day/

Thankfully, much more time is being devoted to defense. Coach Donlon should be great for this team.

I love what I'm hearing early on about X.

One month away from the first game (exhibition)!

Just what I was hoping to hear with regards to Donlon. I'm really hopeful that the new staff will rejuvenate things, just like when Bacari and Lavall got here.

Media day reports are always going to be fluff, but that won't stop me from getting excited!

Agree about Xavier, great to hear.

Loved the message that Beilein gave Wilson, that he's an athlete who can shoot, not the other way around. Hopefully something clicks.

I think the writing's on the wall for Donnal, especially with Beilein praising Mo and DJ's offseason, while saying Mark's been OK, and he needs to get in great shape now. But then again, I haven't expected Donnal to start either of the last two seasons. Him starting over Mo this year would probably be the biggest surprise though.

Just what I was hoping to hear with regards to Donlon. I'm really hopeful that the new staff will rejuvenate things, just like when Bacari and Lavall got here.

Media day reports are always going to be fluff, but that won't stop me from getting excited!

Agree about Xavier, great to hear.

Loved the message that Beilein gave Wilson, that he's an athlete who can shoot, not the other way around. Hopefully something clicks.

I think the writing's on the wall for Donnal, especially with Beilein praising Mo and DJ's offseason, while saying Mark's been OK, and he needs to get in great shape now. But then again, I haven't expected Donnal to start either of the last two seasons. Him starting over Mo this year would probably be the biggest surprise though.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Donnal didn't put in the time with Sanderson this summer. The fact that JB mentions he needs to get in shape is discouraging. Hopefully Wagner locks down the starting spot and Donnal can be a serviceable backup.

Back