Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Honestly, I'm glad this decision was made this early and JB does not have to worry about holding a roster spot. I'm not sure how many spots he has to use, but hopefully he can get a good transfer and maybe Wagner.

2 open spots as of right now, one reserved for Iggy. Scholarship breakdown for 2019-20:

1. Simpson
2. Teske
3. Livers
4. DeJulius
5. Johns
6. Castleton
7. Nunez
8. Wilson
9. Bajema
10. Brooks
11. Davis
12. ? - Iggy's if he returns.
13. ?

I agree with you. Something is way off with this whole situation. This Whole team started heading south after the Midway season when they peaked. Just not sure what the freak happened. Hopefully the team will be better off with a harder worker out there.

Who has a better nba career Ward or Poole ? Both move way up on the draft board if they stay another year.

Ehhhhhhhhh let's not jump off the rail here. Michigan went 17-0 mostly against scrubs. Villanova wasn't nearly as good as they were when they were national champions, obviously. Michigan had an impressive home win vs UNC.

Then the big 10 schedule started. I don't know what you mean about the season heading south. Michigan lost to 4 teams all season including the Big Ten Tournament, then 1 more in the NCAA's. Nothing headed south. They finished 1 off a share of the big 10 regular season championship and 1 off of being the Big 10 tournament champs. They lost to MSU 3 times. MSU made the final 4. MSU was a very good team this season. They lost 3 other big 10 road games. WInning on the road in the big 10 is no joke. Their only really bad loss as I see it was the game at PSU. Other than that 1 game, the season didn't go south. They weren't going to go undefeated. Save that for MSU next year...

That being said, Poole's head shot into space after he hit that shot against Houston. Then he started hitting some wide open NBA range shots early in the season. That went to his head. He started thinking that he didn't have to play D at all and that he could hit a shot from anywhere on the court. Nothing to me reads that as the whole team went south.

I don't think Ward has a thing to gain from returning. He probably would've been better off going pro a year earlier. Next year, he'd be playing behind Tillman. Poole had a lot to gain from coming back IF he actually came to play smart basketball. I don't know if he is capable of that at this point, though.

He got all butthurt when fans got mad and blamed the losses on his lackluster play. Instead of playing better, he ran away. I don't see him ever doing well in the pros.

I know people are doing the whole "you do what's best for you, go get your money" routine, but this was such a horrible decision. Unless he pulls a Jamal Crawford, he's not going to be in the NBA. He can't guard, he makes really poor decisions, he's not an elite shooter, and is not the best at shot creation (can occasionally get to the rim at times).

He has a TON of work to do to sniff an NBA bench. A year with Beilein calming him down could have made him millions more. Instead, he will be in Europe at best.

but somehow in his own head, he thinks he is everything in your paragraph 1.

Yes, I fully believe that if Poole had kept his head in the game this season, Michigan would've at least shared the big 10 regular season title. I don't know if they would've won anything else, but that sure would've been nice.

Without Poole and possibly Iggy it makes Michigan less hateable to me for next year. So there's that. Seriously, though Poole probably did have quite a bit of potential to improve his stock if he came back as he does have some tools. However, a player coming back and playing mostly to impress the scouts vs playing for his team can have a detrimental effect on a team too, especially for a player that had already exhibited some selfish tendencies.

As for Ward, thankfully for us he did not do that this year. He came back all in and improved in some ways that helped the team (before his injury) even if it at best marginally improved his NBA prospects. His limitations (lack of ability to score against length, defensive mobility issues, lack of shooting range) are mostly not going away no matter how many years he stays in school. We'd be more formidable and deeper with him in there, but in his mind he wants to go be a pro...somewhere. So good luck to him.

I know I was just a guy watching on TV, but it definitely seemed like Poole's attitude got worse, pretty abruptly, late in the season.

He seemed like a happy kid, and good team player before that.

I read the rumor that he had problems with JB, but that seems unusual to me, since he was getting minutes, and they ran a lot through him.

Maybe he started dating a succubus?

50 days away from the regular season tip-off! (46 from exhibition tip)

college-basketball-ncaa-playoffs-navy-david-robinson-in-action-layup-picture-id81368375

My first memory of Michigan basketball is this game against Navy. I was only about 4.5 years old, so obviously I don't remember the game even close to perfectly. However, this started my love for Michigan basketball and they would remain my favorite team in any sport for the rest of my life. David Robinson, who was absolutely unreal and dropped 50 points to go with 13 rebs, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in the loss to Michigan, became my favorite basketball player and no one has surpassed him to this day.

Just a fun, unimportant piece of how I became a Michigan basketball fan to go along with a reminder that hoops season is just around the corner. Go Blue!

42 days until regular season tip-off
iu

Crime In Sports podcast: This week, we follow the bread crumbs down a long path of constant disaster, with a man who had all the talent in the world, but just could not stop his self destructive behavior. Not even for $25 million. Instead, he smoked, drank, snorted, and beat his way to infamy, bankruptcy, and an early grave. It's a tale of wasted potential, sadness... and hilarity! Snort all the cocaine you can, get violent with those closest to you, and miss out on tens of millions of dollars with Roy Tarpley!!

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1082678396/e/1520920800

Giving some love to Luke Wilson. Busts his ass everyday in practice to prepare the team. 32 days!
3a448d9a2e91f1fc1eed925e3ae8448f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back