Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Itd be great if Iggy got it in his head that one more year might make him a top 10 pick. Poole is replaceable. Matthews will be missed on D, but he can also be replaced. Not sure where Iggy is projected but his ceiling is much higher than where he was projected earlier

Itd be great if Iggy got it in his head that one more year might make him a top 10 pick. Poole is replaceable. Matthews will be missed on D, but he can also be replaced. Not sure where Iggy is projected but his ceiling is much higher than where he was projected earlier

Projected as a late 2nd rounder. Mid-50s. There's only 60 picks, so that's the danger zone of not being picked.

Poole is in the same area.

Am I wrong to think ill of Poole?

His whole deal just rubs me the wrong way.

Nope. He frustrated the hell out of JB this season. Talking about leaving for the NBA often, not running the floor the way he was supposed to, too many "my bad" situations. Even X called him out and said enough of the "my bad" and that he needed to cut out all the mental errors.

UMHoops said they have never seen JB so frustrated with a player at the end of the season.

Poole was not very good after 2018 ended. Once we hit 2019, he shot 27.2% from three and 39.6% overall. He was our weakest defender on top of that.

Poole just made this big long statement that he is gone to the NBA with no return

which we all pretty much knew, but yeah

Nope. He frustrated the hell out of JB this season. Talking about leaving for the NBA often, not running the floor the way he was supposed to, too many "my bad" situations. Even X called him out and said enough of the "my bad" and that he needed to cut out all the mental errors.

UMHoops said they have never seen JB so frustrated with a player at the end of the season.

Poole was not very good after 2018 ended. Once we hit 2019, he shot 27.2% from three and 39.6% overall. He was our weakest defender on top of that.

Yep. Dude seems like a moron. Yes, he hit that shot against Houston. Yay!!

I even got this vibe last season that Poole just did whatever he wanted out there and JB basically tried to tolerate it, because it worked. This year, it didn't work. Dude thought he was the best player on the floor, loafed on O and especially D, and wouldn't listen to anyone.

They called it "swag," but I just see it as "stupid."

Oh well.

Yep. Dude seems like a moron. Yes, he hit that shot against Houston. Yay!!

I even got this vibe last season that Poole just did whatever he wanted out there and JB basically tried to tolerate it, because it worked. This year, it didn't work. Dude thought he was the best player on the floor, loafed on O and especially D, and wouldn't listen to anyone.

They called it "swag," but I just see it as "stupid."

Oh well.
Complete agreement. That shit won't fly in the NBA if he gets drafted.

He's most likely G-League bound, so maybe he'll put it together there. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree with you. Something is way off with this whole situation. This Whole team started heading south after the Midway season when they peaked. Just not sure what the freak happened. Hopefully the team will be better off with a harder worker out there.

Who has a better nba career Ward or Poole ? Both move way up on the draft board if they stay another year.

Last edited:
I know people are doing the whole "you do what's best for you, go get your money" routine, but this was such a horrible decision. Unless he pulls a Jamal Crawford, he's not going to be in the NBA. He can't guard, he makes really poor decisions, he's not an elite shooter, and is not the best at shot creation (can occasionally get to the rim at times).

He has a TON of work to do to sniff an NBA bench. A year with Beilein calming him down could have made him millions more. Instead, he will be in Europe at best.

I agree with you. Something is way off with this whole situation. This Whole team started heading south after the Midway season when they peaked. Just not sure what the freak happened. Hopefully the team will be better off with a harder worker out there.

Who has a better nba career Ward or Poole ? Both move way up on the draft board if they stay another year.

This is all hearsay, but some reputable posters at UMHoops have commented on how often they heard Poole's dad trashing JB during the season. Poole's dad had no love for JB. I know the stupid tweet was out there about "time to move on" from his dad, but apparently that was really mild compared to comments he made at the games.

Honestly, I'm glad this decision was made this early and JB does not have to worry about holding a roster spot. I'm not sure how many spots he has to use, but hopefully he can get a good transfer and maybe Wagner.

One thing Poole's dad loves to bitch about is how he was used next to X. Saying Poole didn't get enough opportunity in the pick and roll game because of X's ball dominance in the offense. His dad was in an article on The Athletic pissing and moaning about it again yesterday.

Here's the reality of the situation from UMHoops.

Through 15 games, Poole was an elite ball screen option this season. He was scoring 1.103 points per ball screen (including passes) and using 5.8 plays per game.

His usage in ball screens only increased from that point onward — up to 6.4 plays per game — but his efficiency plummeted. Poole created just .886 points per play over the final 22 games of the season.

Efficiency-wise, that’s equivalent to a drop from the 93rd percentile to the 59th percentile, per Synergy.

Some of those struggles stem from facing better defenses and some from systemic issues in Michigan’s offense. There’s no question that Zavier Simpson and Charles Matthews playing off the ball created floor spacing issues. But whatever the reasons, Poole stopped making shots out of ball screens.

He had a 64.5 eFG% on pick-and-roll shot attempts over the first 15 games of the year compared to just a 42.6 eFG% throughout the rest of the season.

It is clear that Jordan Poole and his family felt Poole was underutilized in ball screens. In reality, he finished 13th in the Big Ten in ball screen usage — around other secondary creators like Romeo Langford and Ayo Dosunmu. Poole’s 6.4 ball screen plays per game weren’t far behind Nik Stauskas’ average of 7.7 plays per game in 2014 or Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman’s 7.1 per game as a senior.

One final quote from UMHoops about Poole's second half of this season:

"What happened to Poole over the final three months of the season? The fact that Anthony Poole told The Athletic that “his son made his NBA decision ‘a while ago’ and mostly knew this would be his future course during the second half of the season” is telling."

Basically, Poole's selfishness and immaturity hurt what could have been a really special season. His legacy at UM will be that and the shot.

Too young to remember that.

Eric Turner was a guard from 82-84 and had a breakout sophomore season and regressed his junior year, committed to the draft against all advice and never played in the NBA. The Pistons drafted him in the second round.

Eric Turner was a guard from 82-84 and had a breakout sophomore season and regressed his junior year, committed to the draft against all advice and never played in the NBA. The Pistons drafted him in the second round.

Thanks, byco. I was 1.5 years old when he was drafted, so I wasn't quite keeping up with all the happenings of UM basketball at that point.

Thanks, byco. I was 1.5 years old when he was drafted, so I wasn't quite keeping up with all the happenings of UM basketball at that point.

When I was 1.5 (1958) I was pretending to be Pete Tillotson, practing his 2-handed set shot in the basement with a plastic kickball and a wicker laundry basket nailed to the wall.

Back