Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peralta

If we're talking just bat, I'd go with Peralta. But I don't want a cheat and liar playing on the Tigers. Its that simple for me..I might be in the minority just the way I feel.

I think you need to wake up to the fact that Peralta is not the first cheat or liar the Tigers ever had on the team, not will he be the last.

We had Pudge and Sheffield...where was your outrage then? Kennt Rogers had pine tar on his fucking hand in the ALDS, ALCS and WS! Did you launch a campaign to have him removed from the team?

Not to mention the only thing we know for sure is Peralta lied.

BTW Bartolo Colon is likely going to start game 1 of whatever playoffs series the A's end up in, and all we are talking about is giving Jhonny a bench spot.

I think you need to wake up to the fact that Peralta is not the first cheat or liar the Tigers ever had on the team, not will he be the last.

We had Pudge and Sheffield...where was your outrage then? Kennt Rogers had pine tar on his fucking hand in the ALDS, ALCS and WS! Did you launch a campaign to have him removed from the team?

Not to mention the only thing we know for sure is Peralta lied.

BTW Bartolo Colon is likely going to start game 1 of whatever playoffs series the A's end up in, and all we are talking about is giving Jhonny a bench spot.

No doubt but its hard to be down on a player that he "might have cheated" where we don't know. But we know about Peralta, at least enough that I can feel safe in calling him a cheat. I have a hatred for Pudge but at the time I didn't know..

Last edited:
No doubt but its hard to be down on a player that he "might have cheated" where we don't know. But we know about Peralta, at least enough that I can feel safe in calling him a cheat.

Bartolo Colon actually failed a drug test, and Peralta didn't. How does that implicate Peralta enough to judge him, but not Colon. Sheffiled was confirmed on several occasions as a doper about 5 years ago. Magglio was simply mentioned in Canseco's book, so the jury is out on him. Pudge, however, went from being "Pudge" in '04, to anhorexic looking in '05 and lost most of his hitting ability. It was obvious he was on PEDs before anyone even accused him. With Jhonny, his performance has fluctuated from year to year. Much harder to tell what he did or didn't do.

Last edited:
Who says I don't judge Colon? Where did I say that..

I was assuming you meant him when you said "Might have Cheated" and used it as a reason for not being down on some guys. Although, you weren't too clear on who you were talking about. I just assumed.

I was assuming you meant him when you said "Might have Cheated" and used it as a reason for not being down on some guys. Although, you weren't too clear on who you were talking about. I just assumed.

I was referring to past Tigers. Thumb mentioned it in his posts..I was responding to that.

At the end of the day, I would let the players decide. I mean, they have to play with him. If they (players) feel they are a better team with him in the lineup, than go for it if includes some financial accountability but it probably violates some contract agreement.

As a GM, if I did not think we were a better team with JP, than I would need to be sold. Iggy may be the best man for the job but players may not respond that way, trust me, that would be divided and heavily in favor of Iggy for pitching staff on D.

Personally as a fan, I am pissed off. He really should have never put our organization in this position in such a pivotal year. He only did it to pad his bank account this upcoming FA year. He is a piece of shit. I was going to buy season tickets next year but now I am not. I love my Tigers but I am not willing to pay my hard earned money for someone who supports someone who is selfish. I have spent roughly 23K so far in 2013 that this organization adds in their P&L. I am done if they bring him back.

As a former outfielder, weighing 260 lbs, I found that instinct can make up for lack of quickness. Since Jhonny has spent 10 seasons as a shortstop, he already knows how the ball comes off the bat to the left side of the field. Lateral range isn't necessary to being a solid outfielder. Seeing the ball off the bat, and the instinct of knowing the general area where the ball is coming down is most of it. His arm is not great in terms of strength, but come on.. Andy Dirks has a hard time hitting the cutoff man in decent time. Like I said before, Carlos Guillen was way slower and had less "range" than Peralta and made a passable left fielder. And I also remember him being moved to left without much preparation.

come on...watching a ball come off the bat that is going to you at the SS position is nothing like knowing which way to run when standing in LF.

When I think of juice I always think of Brady Anderson .....LOL

1992 21 homers.
1993 13 homers
1994 12 homers
1995 16 homers.
1996 50 homers.
1997 18
1998 18
1999 24
2000 19

Something just looks odd there..

Brady was on something no doubt. Only theory is that if I remember correctly there were many players who hit 50 that year. So maybe that ball theory is correct.

Here is the problem with that.

PED's alone don't make you hit more HR's. They don't make you a better hitter. That's a common myth.

They can make recovery times faster from injuries or working out and help build lean muscle, which makes you stronger. If Anderson was on PED's, why did he stop taking them? They were not even against the rules back then.

It's more likely 1996 was an anomaly, like 2009 for Joe Mauer. He doubled his previous HR total, but does anyone think it was PED's?

Last edited:
I do remember that as well as the ball going out of the park at alot that year.. But who knows..

PED's alone don't make you hit more HR's. They don't make you a better hitter. That's a common myth.

They can make recovery times faster from injuries or working out and help build lean muscle, which makes you stronger. If Anderson was on PED's, why did he stop taking them? They were not even against the rules back then.

It's more likely 1996 was an anomaly, like 2009 for Joe Mauer. He doubled his previous HR total, but does anyone think it was PED's?

You said they don't make you hit home runs but makes lean muscle which makes you stronger? Stronger helps hit HR. 1 + 1 does = 2 sometimes. Instead of those HR, maybe they're fly-balls instead..

You said they don't make you hit home runs but makes lean muscle which makes you stronger? Stronger helps hit HR. 1 + 1 does = 2 sometimes. Instead of those HR, maybe they're fly-balls instead..

Right. That's my point, they are not a magic pill/injection/creme.

The guys who juiced a lot it was obvious because they all could have grown cheesy mustaches and put on spandex tights and fit right in with the WWF.

Which is the problem with Anderson, you think after 1 season he just decided to give up taking whatever and working out to build/keep muscle and resorted to mediocrity?

When a guy has sustained seasons or gradual increases like with Melky, it's more obvious it's PED enhanced, with Brady, I think it was just a fluke. He always had excellent bat speed and for some reason he was just seeing the ball really well. For all we know the same thing could be happening with Davis.

I don't like PED's anymore than you do, but I also don't like unsubstantiated accusations.

Year - Player - HR - High before that year

1973 - Davey Johnson - 43 - 18 (25)
1996 - Brady Anderson - 50 - 21 (29)
1961 - Roger Maris - 61 - 39 (22)
1977 - George Foster - 52 - 29 (23)
1987 - Andrew Dawson - 49 - 32 (17)
1987 - George Bell - 47 - 31 (16)

Maybe Alan Trammell was taking PED's when he hit 28 HRs in 1987.

Not every instance of a HR total rising has anything to do with PEDs.

Bat speed though, let the pitch get a little deeper in the zone before pulling the trigger. It makes all the difference

Anyone who says PEDs don't help hit HRs see Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire. End of argument!

Back