Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peralta

The throw from short and 2nd is completely different

we saw carlos guillen struggle mightily at 2b after never having played it.

Carlos played it as age took it's toll on his body and he would have been just as bad at SS.

By that time he was more suited for 1st or LF, he was no longer qualified as a good middle infielder.

Carlos was like a sitting duck at second making the pivot and throw to first,
and if any of you remember him at first, there were several times he was in the path of the baserunner catching the throw.
He was a gamer and played where ever Smokes asked him too, but any position other than short, was kinda dangerous for him.

Read an article today that suggested DD is seriously considering bringing JP back for the postseason if they make it. He mentioned how Jhonny handled the situation the best he could and was forthright. I think it would be a hell of a bench upgrade to Santiago.

Forthright my ass. He lied his ass off and after his name came up he admitted him mistake. So he didn't handle anything correctly..fk him.

I just don't find that merely picking up a glove and swapping to a position one has never played is as easy as some are making it to be....yes SS requires more range and a stronger arm than 2b but it's a completely different feel and would be a dangerous thing to ask of a player in a playoff run.

I just don't find that merely picking up a glove and swapping to a position one has never played is as easy as some are making it to be....yes SS requires more range and a stronger arm than 2b but it's a completely different feel and would be a dangerous thing to ask of a player in a playoff run.

Craig Biggio agrees with you. Going from catcher to 2B, is easier than going from SS.

Infante began his career in the minors strictly has a SS.

And again, Peralta has played 2B, just not this year.

Mostly, I think the move from SS to 2B is similar in the move from LF to RF. It's essentially the same position, with one field traditionally getting more balls hit to it. It uses the same skill set, except SS requires a stronger arm, which is not as big a problem going SS to 2B, as from 2b to SS, which nobody was suggesting. RF generally requires a stronger arm as well.

The turn on the double play, is different, but if Ryan Raburn, and Brandon Inge can do it without a problem, I dare say Peralta could as well. The other nuances are minor, such as covering first on a bunt, and playing in shallow right center on an infield overshift

Asking a SS to move to 2B during the playoffs who never played there in a while is about as dangerous as leaving the house on a sunny day without an umbrella.

Last edited:
Also....Mickey Stanley playing SS versus CF during the playoffs is a fine example of moving a player to a position in the playoffs for the good of the team. I doubt the Tigers win the 68 WS with Oyler as the SS.

My two cents, for what they're worth. I know Peralta is banned from partaking in any MLB activities right now. But I would seriously consider telling him to work on his 2nd baseman skills in the coming weeks on his own. Infante has played plenty of LF in his days with Atlanta and Florida. Considering Peralta's suspension, he could be re-signed in the offseason for a cheap price as a 2nd baseman. He seems to have better range to his left, and with Iglesias beside him, his range would become less of a factor all-together. He would really improve the production at 2nd base. Solid avg, power, and OBP for a 2nd baseman in today's game. We do know that Infante is overperforming a bit this year, and someone will overpay for him. Castellanos will begin the season manning LF for Detroit next year, barring some kind of fallout.

So you use Infante in LF, a position he hasn't played in 3 years, and only sparingly at that and then shift Peralta to 2B - which he hasn't done at all. So lets make two positions worse on defense. No thanks.

Last edited:
My two cents, for what they're worth. I know Peralta is banned from partaking in any MLB activities right now. But I would seriously consider telling him to work on his 2nd baseman skills in the coming weeks on his own. Infante has played plenty of LF in his days with Atlanta and Florida. Considering Peralta's suspension, he could be re-signed in the offseason for a cheap price as a 2nd baseman. He seems to have better range to his left, and with Iglesias beside him, his range would become less of a factor all-together. He would really improve the production at 2nd base. Solid avg, power, and OBP for a 2nd baseman in today's game. We do know that Infante is overperforming a bit this year, and someone will overpay for him. Castellanos will begin the season manning LF for Detroit next year, barring some kind of fallout.

So is Peralta yet you want him back?

So is Peralta yet you want him back?

Well, we know that Peralta has the ability to put up these kind of numbers, because he has on several occasions before. And tell me someone else that we could sign for a reasonable price at that position? We dont have anyone nearly ready or skilled enough to take the job from within. Infante is going to get a big paycheck this offseason. And I don't see how it makes us worse defensively at those positions. Infante isnt a stellar defender himself, and we currently have a very mediocre combo of Dirks/Tui out in left right now. Peralta has been in the middle infield almost his entire career, where Infante has spent alot of time in the outfield and has played every outfield position before.

I don't think Infante is going to get that big of a paycheck.

He's past his prime, and his current contract was only 2 years @ 8M. I'd be surprised if he gets more than a 3 year deal for the same per year, roughly 4 million plus incentives.

I think Peralta gets just a little more money, but the same years, 1-3.

There's a shortage of good middle infielders. In June, I was thinking Infante might get 3Y/20M. Now with his strong finish, he may reap up-to 3Y/27M.

Well, we know that Peralta has the ability to put up these kind of numbers, because he has on several occasions before. And tell me someone else that we could sign for a reasonable price at that position? We dont have anyone nearly ready or skilled enough to take the job from within. Infante is going to get a big paycheck this offseason. And I don't see how it makes us worse defensively at those positions. Infante isnt a stellar defender himself, and we currently have a very mediocre combo of Dirks/Tui out in left right now. Peralta has been in the middle infield almost his entire career, where Infante has spent alot of time in the outfield and has played every outfield position before.

You make it sound like Peralta's career has been superior to Infante? Plus the dude got busted..I don't know who is on the market at 2B but we've gotten MIF in free agency before..maybe you go with Perez.

But I don't want him and his forthright ass back regardless the cost. Let it end. He's a bum.

Last edited:
Carlos was like a sitting duck at second making the pivot and throw to first,
and if any of you remember him at first, there were several times he was in the path of the baserunner catching the throw.
He was a gamer and played where ever Smokes asked him too, but any position other than short, was kinda dangerous for him.

Guillen was my Tiger...but he was the worst 1st baseman I have ever seen. He had no clue how to position himself on the base. Every routine play was a collision waiting to happen. It was scary.

Tigers limited in rehab options for Peralta.
The Tigers have yet to make a decision on a possible return for suspended shortstop Jhonny Peralta, team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said again Monday. Next week, however, could provide an initial sign.
If they're going to get Peralta ready for a return, the prep work is going to come pretty soon.
By the rules of Peralta's 50-game suspension, he's eligible to begin a rehab assignment in about a week. However, the Tigers have no Minor League affiliate still playing. Double-A Erie was eliminated from the Eastern League playoffs over the weekend, and neither Triple-A Toledo nor the Class A teams in Lakeland, Fla., and West Michigan made the postseason.

That leaves the Florida instructional league as the highest-level destination where he could rehab. It's where teams send players after their Minor League seasons end for extra work in September and early October, either to follow up on progress made during the summer or to set up a move for the following spring. The majority of players involved are in the lower levels of the farm system.

Since it's not an official league with a set schedule of games against other clubs, instructional league technically doesn't count as a rehab assignment. With intrasquad games, however, the Tigers could set up simulated games to get Peralta extra at-bats.

The Tigers' instructional league begins Sept. 19, a week before Peralta's suspension ends. When the latter happens, on Sept. 26, the Tigers must decide whether to restore Peralta to the active roster or make a move to take him off.
from the Tigers official site

Did Mr. I tell you that?

Otherwise it's unsubstantiated. Therefore we will go ahead and still talk about him.

Pride aside, I think this guy can really help the team offensively. There arent too many opportunities to win a championship, so if we make the playoffs.. then it would be irresponsible to leave him off the roster. Cut ties with him in the offseason if pride is a factor.

Pride aside, I think this guy can really help the team offensively. There arent too many opportunities to win a championship, so if we make the playoffs.. then it would be irresponsible to leave him off the roster. Cut ties with him in the offseason if pride is a factor.

Pride is pride. Forget pride now but later use pride as a way to kick the guy to the curb?

That being said, pride might not even be part of it..

Back