Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preseason Game 2 Lions @ Ravens Thread

Our punt coverage SUCKS. We gave 2 TD's that were called back by penalties but still each one we missed like 5 tackles. I would not want to be in the ST's meeting tomorrow because they are gonna get lit up

No doubt, I think the special teams got about 10 years younger this off season with all of those late rd linebackers and safeties.

We need to try and extend Willie Young right now. We cant let him leave us as a fa.

Did anyone notice Jonte Green playing running back. He actually looked pretty good.

We need to try and extend Willie Young right now. We cant let him leave us as a fa.

While there are those who disagree, let Avril go, pay Young less money and use the savings to improve other areas. Draft a new DE somewhere in R2-R4 range who can be a solid backup to Young, not just to maintain level of play when Young is off the field but also to keep pushing Young to perform at highest possible level.

That punt block was absolutely textbook in how to do it properly.

my bad its stephfon green. Havent been doing a good job keeping up this year with the roster. Anyways he had a couple nice runs.

While there are those who disagree, let Avril go, pay Young less money and use the savings to improve other areas. Draft a new DE somewhere in R2-R4 range who can be a solid backup to Young, not just to maintain level of play when Young is off the field but also to keep pushing Young to perform at highest possible level.

That punt block was absolutely textbook in how to do it properly.

That blocked punt was awesome - yes. But let Avril go?? C'mon man!! ...lol.

a good victory not a great 1st qtr. Some bad penalties early and the ST's looked bad on coverage but we kept them out of the endzone. Kellen Moore looked a lot better and Staff and Calvin were deadly.

That blocked punt was awesome - yes. But let Avril go?? C'mon man!! ...lol.

Please understand, I'm not busting on Avril. My viewpoint is one where if Avril does leave the Lions will save millions by moving Young into his slot and drafting a DE. That money can be spread elsewhere, and there really is less and less a dropoff in production from Avril to Young. Cost / benefit analysis, they could lose Avril and it would not be as big an issue as losing CJ, Staff, or Suh while they could apply that money to sign Young to a new contract, a DE in the draft to backup Young, and some extra money to apply elsewhere.

My view has less to do with performance and more to do with the business end.

Look at the Giants letting Jacobs and Manningham go. They had backups ready to step up. Maybe they won't be as productive, but they cost less and they got to use the spare change to make improvements elsewhere. The hope is those types of moves improve the team overall despite the potential reduction in performance at a specific position that is eating up more cap space than it warrants. If there isn't a Salary Cap, then obviously you keep Avril.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't done any analysis on the exact numbers, but I'm thinking Young will get extended for several million less per year than what Avril will demand. Sometimes you just can't afford a player as much as you would love to keep him and you have to part ways. That's just the way the NFL is these days.

Please understand, I'm not busting on Avril. My viewpoint is one where if Avril does leave the Lions will save millions by moving Young into his slot and drafting a DE. That money can be spread elsewhere, and there really is less and less a dropoff in production from Avril to Young. Cost / benefit analysis, they could lose Avril and it would not be as big an issue as losing CJ, Staff, or Suh while they could apply that money to sign Young to a new contract, a DE in the draft to backup Young, and some extra money to apply elsewhere.

My view has less to do with performance and more to do with the business end.

Look at the Giants letting Jacobs and Manningham go. They had backups ready to step up. Maybe they won't be as productive, but they cost less and they got to use the spare change to make improvements elsewhere. The hope is those types of moves improve the team overall despite the potential reduction in performance at a specific position that is eating up more cap space than it warrants. If there isn't a Salary Cap, then obviously you keep Avril.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't done any analysis on the exact numbers, but I'm thinking Young will get extended for several million less per year than what Avril will demand. Sometimes you just can't afford a player as much as you would love to keep him and you have to part ways. That's just the way the NFL is these days.

I understand what you're saying but Young has proven nothing to unseat Avril right now. That's great that you want to save money for the Detroit Lions, but in the long run, the Lions want to win football games. Avril gives them that over Young...sorry...end of story.

Hey, i like what i see from Young, but you don't give up on talent because of money.

As for Manningham and Jacobs. Are you kidding me? Jacobs is garbage and Manningham is a 4th WR at best. Easily replaceable, bro...c'mon now.

Mother fucking a bitch ass fuck fuck fuck. Can't watch it on game rewind for some reason right now. None of the preseason games actually. Just got home and wanted to watch the game. Damnit.

How bad were those refs last night? it truly was amateur hour.

P.S. I cannot stand Speivey, Levy or Peterman.

Back