Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preseason Game 2 Lions @ Ravens Thread

How bad were those refs last night? it truly was amateur hour.

P.S. I cannot stand Speivey, Levy or Peterman.

Well, maybe with Reiff getting some reps at RG he could replace Peterman at some point this season. The commentators last night kept saying that Reiff is already the best run-blocker on the team, he just needs to improve his technique on pass protection, which will come with practice.

Well, maybe with Reiff getting some reps at RG he could replace Peterman at some point this season. The commentators last night kept saying that Reiff is already the best run-blocker on the team, he just needs to improve his technique on pass protection, which will come with practice.

Rg would be a great spot for him. he's not a miracle worker but he'd help make dom and cherilus better.

That blocked punt was awesome - yes. But let Avril go?? C'mon man!! ...lol.
Unfortunately, its gonna happen. I can't see them tagging him again since the price gets a lot higher, and if he already turned down 3 years, $30 million...if he hits the open market, its over.

Idk...if he has another year like last year, I'm just not sure how he's still a Lion next season

How bad were those refs last night? it truly was amateur hour.

P.S. I cannot stand Speivey, Levy or Peterman.

I barely remember seeing Speivey..lol.

Levy missed a few tackles but he plays hard.

Peterman is a trash can. Can Reiff play guard?

Unfortunately, its gonna happen. I can't see them tagging him again since the price gets a lot higher, and if he already turned down 3 years, $30 million...if he hits the open market, its over.

Idk...if he has another year like last year, I'm just not sure how he's still a Lion next season

I agree that he might not be a Lion next year but if people think that Young can just step in and replace him, we're in trouble. Young hasn't proven a damn thing yet. Love his upside, but reality needs to set in. I hope i'm dead wrong on this....

Come around to what?...lol

Coming around to dumping Avril to save cash since we have Young. I thought that was pretty obvious.

And to say Young hasn't proven a thing is just ridiculous. Did you even watch him play last season?

Last edited:
Coming around to dumping Avril to save cash since we have Young. I thought that was pretty obvious.

And to say Young hasn't proven a thing is just ridiculous. Did you even watch him play last season?

Pretty obvious? Brilliant. And the Lions are not saving cash this year. Avril is getting 10.6 mill...remember? Next year? Probably not because it'll go up to over 12+ if they want to franchise him again. They probably won't and it won't be because of Young IMO...

What on God's green Earth has he done to start in the NFL? The kid is raw as hell...

Last edited:
Pretty obvious? Brilliant. And the Lions are not saving cash this year. Avril is getting 10.6 mill...remember? Next year? Probably not because it'll go up to over 12+ if they want to franchise him again. They probably won't and it won't be because of Young IMO...

What on God's green Earth has he done to start in the NFL? The kid is raw as hell...

For as little as he played in 2011 he did a hell of a job. And it isn't about why Detroit might let Avril go, and that Young won't be the reason. Its that some think there isn't much difference between one or the other. IMO, Young is FT last season he gets 10 sacks.

In case I missed it somewhere, who is Stephfon Green? Is he a UFA? And does he have any hope of making the team?

Last edited:
I thought Reiff had another good game, Spievey looked like he had Herman Munster shoes on in that one play the WR ran by him on a swing play. first team OL looked solid, indiviually the are average, but as a unit they are much better(pass protection anyways).
I'm going to watch the DVR of the game, its pretty hard getting a real look seeing it live.

For as little as he played in 2011 he did a hell of a job. And it isn't about why Detroit might let Avril go, and that Young won't be the reason. Its that some think there isn't much difference between one or the other. IMO, Young is FT last season he gets 10 sacks.

"Hell" of a job? He did ok...let's not be ridiculous about this.

As for the 10 sacks? Maybe. He can get to the QB, but some people on this board think sacks are overrated. I don't...

He is an Avril clone though...you're right. High motor, undersized DE who can get to the QB, but plays the run terribly.

Solution - Keep Avril next year, let KVB go and play Avril and Young at both ends. Teams will run all over us though...lol.

Go Stud DE in round 1 next year. Willie Young as back up. LJ will probably need to start in KVBs spot by then. Get a comp pick for Avril. Young is Avril 2.0. He pushes hard up the field and 50% of the time it runs him right out of the play. The other 50% hes able to turn the corner and get pressure from behind the QB which will cause some turnover and get some sacks but doesnt reall do anything for your run defense.

I agree that he might not be a Lion next year but if people think that Young can just step in and replace him, we're in trouble. Young hasn't proven a damn thing yet. Love his upside, but reality needs to set in. I hope i'm dead wrong on this....

Yep. Good thing is they don't have to make a decision until after the season. Lots of things will change. A lot of that defense will be FAs next season. Its gonna be a fun offseason.....

For now, its nice to have both of them.

Willie Young is at least another year away from taking the starting position.

In case I missed it somewhere, who is Stephfon Green? Is he a UFA? And does he have any hope of making the team?

He's from Penn State. Missed first 5 games of last season because Paterno suspended him for marijuana, etc...He's 5-foot-10, 193 pounds, and runs in the low 4.4s.

At the beginning of his college career he was clocked at 4.25 in the 40, but has had problems with his right ankle on several occasions since then.

I don't really know if he stands to make the team, but with Best probably on PUP and Leshoure missing the 1st 2 games, he might have a chance if he can contribute on special teams.

He's from Penn State. Missed first 5 games of last season because Paterno suspended him for marijuana, etc...He's 5-foot-10, 193 pounds, and runs in the low 4.4s.

At the beginning of his college career he was clocked at 4.25 in the 40, but has had problems with his right ankle on several occasions since then.

I don't really know if he stands to make the team, but with Best probably on PUP and Leshoure missing the 1st 2 games, he might have a chance if he can contribute on special teams.

So he's basically just blah and don't expect much? Thanks.

UFA from Penn State. Showed some good burst in that run. I think he earned a few more touches in the next preseason game with that play and the fact that Bell fumbled on the 1.

Back