Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

And I actually think it's Caldwell. He needs time to look himself if fired which leads me to believe Quinn knows that.

We'll just call him Patty. Not much more manly but nonetheless..

Patty seems manly enough to me.. but when I think of a "Patty" I don't think of a woman.

I think of a guy named Patty O'Doole, a rugged Irishman who can drink most men under the table and cut down trees with his beard.

Top O' The Mornin To Ya Patty O'Doole!

And if we get a new coach I hope we hire a 3-4 DC. My dream will be finalized.

Patty seems manly enough to me.. but when I think of a "Patty" I don't think of a woman.

I think of a guy named Patty O'Doole, a rugged Irishman who can drink most men under the table and cut down trees with his beard.

Top O' The Mornin To Ya Patty O'Doole!

I think the Irish pub guy as well.

I might be delusional but I think the results would have been better with Whisenhunt. Impossible to prove, just a hunch.

Lions might have a bad 58 year history but the Titans are just a bad gig.

Lions might have a bad 58 year history but the Titans are just a bad gig.

Yep.. people can say what they want about our 58 years of futility, but if I were a coach in 2016 being offered a job, I would prefer the Lions over the Titans, the Browns, the Dolphins, the Buccaneers, the 49'ers, the Jaguars, and the Bills.

Probably a few others in there too... but those come right to mind as being unstable nut farms.

There better be a decision early today .. This is ridiculous. Caldwell flew in on the freakin' weekend.

There better be a decision early today .. This is ridiculous. Caldwell flew in on the freakin' weekend.

The longer this plays out the more likely it is Caldwell will be let go.

I cannot think of one logical reason not to announce keeping Caldwell if he is your guy. Not one. More than likely, Quinn is waiting for an answer from McDaniels or Patricia. When he gets it, we'll get our decision on Caldwell.

The longer this plays out the more likely it is Caldwell will be let go.

I cannot think of one logical reason not to announce keeping Caldwell if he is your guy. Not one. More than likely, Quinn is waiting for an answer from McDaniels or Patricia. When he gets it, we'll get our decision on Caldwell.

I don't think they can talk to anyone until after the SB. I mean doesn't Jim need time to look for his own job?

I don't think they can talk to anyone until after the SB. I mean doesn't Jim need time to look for his own job?

That's the nice thing about being a head coach in the NFL and getting fired. Caldwell will continue to make his $4M per year for the next 2 years even if he is sitting on some beach with that same "deer in headlights" look on his face

That's the nice thing about being a head coach in the NFL and getting fired. Caldwell will continue to make his $4M per year for the next 2 years even if he is sitting on some beach with that same "deer in headlights" look on his face

True but coaches like to coach. Just like players like to play.

True but coaches like to coach. Just like players like to play.

yes...but he isn't going to get any head coaching gig right away...probably will never get another shot. My guess is almost all NFL head coaches take time off after they are fired before taking a position as a coordinator.

As far as players...their time is limited by age and without guaranteed contracts they need to play to make a paycheck.

Eh.......if he knows he wants McDaniel.....the interview might have been a text message like this...

Quinn: - Wanna coach the Lions next year?

McDaniel: - Let me think about it a couple days. I'll get back to you.

Might not need a formal interview for a guy he's probably had hundreds of conversations with.

yes...but he isn't going to get any head coaching gig right away...probably will never get another shot. My guess is almost all NFL head coaches take time off after they are fired before taking a position as a coordinator.

As far as players...their time is limited by age and without guaranteed contracts they need to play to make a paycheck.

Mostly true. But look at a player like Calvin. If he retires before the start of the season, he is still owed more than $8Mm in deferred money. The salary cap hit escalates to an immediate hit, but it appears he still draws $4Mm per year for each of the next two seasons for sitting on a couch.

On top of that, players have a very good chance of getting a well paying gig as a commentator. I would be very surprised if he retired and wasn't part of the Monday Night Football crew next season.

Eh.......if he knows he wants McDaniel.....the interview might have been a text message like this...

Quinn: - Wanna coach the Lions next year?

McDaniel: - Let me think about it a couple days. I'll get back to you.

Might not need a formal interview for a guy he's probably had hundreds of conversations with.

That would be tampering. He still has to get New England's permission to interview their coach under contract.

A text message would violate league rules.

The interview might be a very short, informal one, but it would still have to take place to satisfy league requirements, and we would still have to make a Rooney Rule interview prior to hiring McDaniels.

I'm not saying he gets a HC job. He did work as an OC at one time. Someone will be interested.

Back