Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

Agreed. Get your guy now. Start this process correctly from the get go. Don't do it halfway just to keep coordinators.

Telling ya, never a good idea to have a possible lame duck coach for a first year first time GM. Just get your own.

If I remember correctly, Caldwell signed a 4 year contract with the Lions. So he has 2 years left, and is (technically) not a lame duck coach. However, I think we can all agree If he does remain the HC, he will be in a 1 year 'put up or shut up' type situation.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Caldwell signed a 4 year contract with the Lions. So he has 2 years left, and is (technically) not a lame duck coach. However, I think we can all agree If he does remain the HC, he will be in a 1 year 'put up or shut up' type situation.

My bad but it's kind of what I meant. Not sure I want to see another HC search next year. And I think it really hinders Quinn.

Quinn didnt say much about what attributes he looks for in a head coach, but he did say that the scouting dept. and coaching staff need to be in unison, and work together flawlessly. He emphasized this several times in his presser, and even said it would be one of the main factors into whether or not he kept Caldwell.

That makes me think that if Caldwell is fired, hes going to bring in one of those two NE Guys to take over, as they clearly would be on the same page in terms of how to build a team.

Not sure if thats the best move or not, but its what I think will happen.

Whatever the Lions have done is the wrong move. If Quinn brings in completely new blood to flush out this residue from the Lions, then do it.

Quinn didnt say much about what attributes he looks for in a head coach, but he did say that the scouting dept. and coaching staff need to be in unison, and work together flawlessly. He emphasized this several times in his presser, and even said it would be one of the main factors into whether or not he kept Caldwell.

That makes me think that if Caldwell is fired, hes going to bring in one of those two NE Guys to take over, as they clearly would be on the same page in terms of how to build a team.

Not sure if thats the best move or not, but its what I think will happen.

I think people are down on McDaniel's because he did bad elsewhere. So did Caldwell. Plus he was given quite a bit of responsibility and maybe he learned some things. Don't know anything about the other guy.

It's been mentioned, having Austin as the HC. Honestly I don't want him as our head coach. My favorite so far has been Hue Jackson. But I also wanted Gym Shorts so what do I know.

My bad but it's kind of what I meant. Not sure I want to see another HC search next year. And I think it really hinders Quinn.

Ya I know thats what you meant, and I agree it would suck to have another HC search next year...

Hey crazy thought I just had...

Would anybody here want Saban as the Lions HC? It seems like hes accomplished everything he can in College Football...already considered the greatest ever. If he will leave Alabama, I have to think it will be this season.

Saban has mentioned (sort of) that he would only coach a team in the Pros if they had an established QB. Well, Stafford, while not perfect, is I think above average at the least, which means Det would be on his short list if he did decide to go pro.

Personally, I dont think it would be a good idea, and I dont think Quinn has the balls to hire Saban as his first HC, but, just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Last edited:
No Saban. I read a story some time ago when he was with the Dolphins. After the Chargers released Drew Bree's, Saban contemplated picking him up. Instead went with Dante Culpepper. Just kind of a after the fact "WTF" moment. Lol.

No Saban. I read a story some time ago when he was with the Dolphins. After the Chargers released Drew Bree's, Saban contemplated picking him up. Instead went with Dante Culpepper. Just kind of a after the fact "WTF" moment. Lol.

I read that too. The article I read said he wanted Culpepper because he believed his mobility and bigger arm were a better fit for Saban's offense.

He didn't feel Brees was as good.

Nope.. no thank you sir... scratch that man off the list.

McDaniels

Brady is Stafford
Edelman is Tate
Lewis/White is Riddick/Abdullah
Gronk is Ebron

Well not really but you get the point. Whether he is HC material or not the guy is a brilliant offensive mind and can put our unique pieces in opportunities to succeed on offense. For those that like Cooter he is Cooter plus. If he can keep Austin on D I'd be fine with this arrangement.

McDaniels

Brady is Stafford
Edelman is Tate
Lewis/White is Riddick/Abdullah
Gronk is Ebron

Well not really but you get the point. Whether he is HC material or not the guy is a brilliant offensive mind and can put our unique pieces in opportunities to succeed on offense. For those that like Cooter he is Cooter plus. If he can keep Austin on D I'd be fine with this arrangement.

His name doesn't make me giggle every time I hear it the way that Jim Bob Cooter does. Definite strike against him in my book.

QB seems to be the one position, college or pro, that Saban doesn't excel in evaluating.

Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stafford
Gronk (don't have enough greater than signs) Ebron

I get your comparison, but I don't see it. Especially out of Stafford. We know what he is at this point in his career. A good QB with moments of greatness, but otherwise not much.

Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stafford
Gronk (don't have enough greater than signs) Ebron

I get your comparison, but I don't see it. Especially out of Stafford. We know what he is at this point in his career. A good QB with moments of greatness, but otherwise not much.

It's a fair argument, except that we don't know either Brady or Gronk would be the same player in another system. For example, Jimmy Graham was called "better" than Gronk just two years ago. Off to Seattle he gets shipped, and he's 1/10th of Gronk, if that.

The right system can often turn players into superstars.

For all we know, in the same offense, Ebron might be the best TE in the game. Stafford might win an MVP. Can't say.

I have to admit though, I find more credibility in your arguments. I don't see Stafford in the NE system, because it depends on a super disciplined QB like Brady, not a Texas Playground QB like Stafford.

I don't see a gunslinger thriving in a well oiled machine.

Mitch it's going to be McD or Patricia or if neither of them want the job, Caldwell for another year.

Mitch it's going to be McD or Patricia or if neither of them want the job, Caldwell for another year.

I mean, how long does it take them to decide? It has to be that they have someone in mind, NE coaches, or it's Caldwell. But if it's Caldwell say so. Takes like 2 seconds to setup an interview.

Back