Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

Idk Mitch I just don't like McDaniels for some reason not sure why...just have a bad feeling he'd be horrible here, would like to beleive cooter stays at least..did McDaniels and cooter know each other in Denver?

This is a totally different situation than the one in Denver....no way the new gm gives mcdaniels the kind of power he had in Denver.

It's funny, because when everyone talks about wanting Caldwell to stay, it has absolutely nothing to do with the performance on the field. It's about keeping solidarity, good locker room guy, helping Calvin to play another year, being calm, etc...

But in terms of pure raw coaching ability, no one has anything positive to say about the guy. And for good reason, he's clueless on the field. Heard that PFF rated him the worst in-game coach in the NFL.

Personally, I don't give a flying F about being a "player's coach." The best coaches in modern NFL history aren't player friendly whatsoever. Bellicheck, Harbaugh, Saban, Cowher, Coughlin, etc...

It's funny, because when everyone talks about wanting Caldwell to stay, it has absolutely nothing to do with the performance on the field. It's about keeping solidarity, good locker room guy, helping Calvin to play another year, being calm, etc...

But in terms of pure raw coaching ability, no one has anything positive to say about the guy. And for good reason, he's clueless on the field. Heard that PFF rated him the worst in-game coach in the NFL.

Personally, I don't give a flying F about being a "player's coach." The best coaches in modern NFL history aren't player friendly whatsoever. Bellicheck, Harbaugh, Saban, Cowher, Coughlin, etc...

True..

I just want him to stay another year in order to increase the odds cooter stays and CJ doesn't retire and it doesn't become a full blown new scheme rebuild already..I want to see if they can continue the momentum into next year first with current cooter scheme.. Lol sad but true

Last edited:

Yeah I'm seeing some of the potential upsides. If Caldwell keeps the staff intact I'm OK with it, perhaps my judgment is just clouded by awful in-game decisions.i don't think it's the worst thing if they keep him, I just don't think he's going to take them far. We'll see...I'm willing to put my faith in Quinn, if Caldwell is the guy I'll get on board.

I've seen a LOT of Lions football in my 42 years. And in all of that, I saw one team I really believed in. They went to the NFC championship and got smacked in the puss by the Redskins.

Keep Caldwell. Fire him. Calvin stays. Calvin retires. Matt is here. Matt is traded. We go forward. We rebuild.

I honestly don't see what difference it makes as a fan. We've been through it all already. If you have been through Barry's retirement and the "Beat that Shall Not Be Named" era, there really are no surprises left.

It's all more of the same, unless they win a Superbowl. Then I'd be shocked.

I've seen a LOT of Lions football in my 42 years. And in all of that, I saw one team I really believed in. They went to the NFC championship and got smacked in the puss by the Redskins.

Keep Caldwell. Fire him. Calvin stays. Calvin retires. Matt is here. Matt is traded. We go forward. We rebuild.

I honestly don't see what difference it makes as a fan. We've been through it all already. If you have been through Barry's retirement and the "Beat that Shall Not Be Named" era, there really are no surprises left.

It's all more of the same, unless they win a Superbowl. Then I'd be shocked.

Also true, bout the same length of years for me also, it's taking a toll don't know if I'm up for another round of rebuild already..

Also true, bout the same length of years for me also, it's taking a toll don't know if I'm up for another round of rebuild already..

Ahh bud, if you're a Detroit sports fan, it's not even anything new. We had the Dead Wings era in hockey. The Tigers always have us hopeful, and then they flop. The Piston can't seem to get out of their own way 99% of the time.

It just goes with the turf. The Lions haven't really been much worse than most of our teams, and to be honest, I'm not sure they have even been as bad (comparatively) to the Dead Wings.

Some day, we'll get ours there too. The Leo's were a dominant team back in the 50s. They will be dominant again. It may not be with these players, but they will turn it around.

And something tells me the Bob Quin hire is the beginning of it. 4 decades roughly of promoting from within or hiring people who were TV commentators.... if you keep doing the same crap, you have to expect the same results.

Now they finally go get a guy people think highly of from a successful franchise. I think this could be the new reality for us.

No matter who they hired, there would have been people griping. The beat goes on in Lions fan land.

The only thing that gives me even a glimmer of hope is that the GM we got wasn't the same old in-team promotion.

Based on what I've read, I get the impression that Quinn wants his own guy, I say gone.

Back